Italian Alps - route input

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ktmpilot, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't seem real . if you have a tire with dimensions and speed marking equal than reported on bike documents , or even a lower speed rating but the M+S marking, nobody can fine you for this , knobbies or slick.

Even the "N.H.S" marking have absolutely no meaning in Italian and EC road code.
  2. ktmpilot

ktmpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for their input

Were going the first 8 days in sept

Any suggestions on getting the pass - I've sent some emails with no responses to date

Mike
  3. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Giorgio XT,

I don't believe its a matter of having legal/omolugated tires. Here's the excerpt from the paperwork I received last July: "è fatto divieto assoluto al passaggio di moto da cross e moto con pneumatici tassellati" This translates to" it is absolutely prohibited to travel with motocross bikes and motorcylces with knobbie tires". Enduro or street tires are required... I used Pirelli Scorpions which are considered a 60/40 enduro tire. The way it was explained to me is they prohibit knobbies as aggressive riding with the knobbies increases the amount of trail maintenance and the added traction of knobbies encourages riders to ride more aggressively.

Personally, I believe that if you have a pass and ride responsibly (even with knobbies) you will be ok. However, if you don't have a pass and rip up the trails with knobbies you will run the risk of a fine and perhaps sequestration of the bike. There are always fewer mountain trails available to enduro/dual sport riders (especially in Italy).

Ciao
  4. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:

The pass is only issued by hotels in the town of Tremosine. Try this hotel: http://www.stelladorohotel.it/en/

Early September will be great. All the passes will still be open and the temperatures are still very comfortable. Last season I rode with armor and light shirt through late September. Less chance of rain than June-July timeframe. Good plan !

Ciao
  5. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:

Classico esempio di disposizione comunale fatta in assoluta ignoranza della legge … non è certo l'unica , ma questo non vuol dire che sia valida , se venissi multato per questo farei ricorso e sarei certo della vittoria. E' purtroppo un brutto esempio di come ci si attacchi a pretesti per creare problemi alle moto pensando di averne vantaggi politici o di pubbliche relazioni…

Typical example of local administration law ignorance … not a lone example of a rule wrote despite laws (and thus in reality un-enforceable) for political/public relation reasons.

In the specific case : all Tremalzo roads have an hard gravel/rock ground that really won't be damaged by any number of bikes, with knobbies or road tires …
    [​IMG]
    All the bike limitation is ridiculous , because car transit is allowed and free - and a 2WD car is much more prone to ruin the surface.
  6. ktmpilot

ktmpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    its the wrong one , and wrong lake too …
    This is the right address
    Associazione Pro-Loco - Piazza Marconi, 1 25010 Tremosine (Bs) - Lago di Garda - Tel 0365 953185 Fax 0365 918670 - P.I. 02091170981 info@infotremosine.it
  8. ktmpilot

ktmpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Giorgio - that was the address I was given by the local hotel - too funny

I will contact these folks

I also wanted to ask about gravel in the Dolomites as per your offer earlier

Mille grazie. l
  9. ktmpilot

ktmpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are wearing this type of adventure jacket for Early September - alps, dolomites, etc.

Looks like this or equivalent is what most guys wear, it is too heavy or appropriate.

Attached Files:

10. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems more than OK,
    But, I grow riding with in time order : A- Old military anorak , B-Belstaff trial master waxed , with two woolen jumpers beneath when in winter, or a flannel shirt in summer… So I'm not choosy.

Best thing is to have a rainproof one, since downpours could be frequent, particularly in the hottest summer days where mornings are clear and sunny, but then the humid air from the plain arrives and produce in the afternoon thunderstorms .
  11. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    September weather can change quickly, espcially at high altitudes. I recommend layers. I wear a moisture wicking t-shirt and a waterproof jacket with ventilation panels. I pack a windproof fleece sweater and windproof glove liners in my bag. If the temperatures are in the mid-high twenties you can open your ventilation panels. If the temperature drops below 15 degrees you close the panels and if it goes below 8/9 degrees you can put on your sweater and glove liners. I ride like this pretty much all winter, until the mountain passes are covered in snow and closed.

BTW... it snowed at Passo Rolle yesterday and Passo Manghen still has over three meters of snow. Usually the mountain pastures are already open and green... weather is a bit odd this year.