Mexico and Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeff Munn, May 30, 2006.

1. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Jeff, that is awesome information. I have my sights on Central and South America and greatly apreciate your vast wealth of information.[​IMG]
  2. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff,
    This is most definitley Sticky material. Probably the most useful document
    I've seen on ADVrider.

The problem, as I've complained about many times, is that there is really no
    trip planning forum at ADVrider. This type of info really has no place given
    the current set up.

The Upcoming forum is all about group rides and events with endless crap about where everyone is going to meet up on the first day. Useless.

The regional forums don't even have a Mexico or S. America section.

Its not a Ride Report, cause it hasn't happened yet.

So tell me.. where does this type of important travel information belong?:ear

I've bitched and moaned about this for a year or so. The Mods don't care
    or don't get it.

We NEED a Trip Planning forum. A place were solid and proven advice like
    yours can be dissiminated, shared and added to. A place where travel questions can be answered and specific current info can be exchanged.

HU is good for this but is little used and is mostly European. HU is helpful and
    Grant's site is great, but I think ADVrider could do something just as good.

STICKY? HELL YES!!! :clap :clap :clap

I propose this Thread be moved....into a New Forum.
    Trip Planning.
    Gringo Loko likes this.
  3. THE CAT

THE CAT El Gato-Lifes yet to live

Oddometer:
    I must agree with Mr Loco!!

The problem is that you hae this great info and eventually it will just all disappear because the thread is not kept alive and in the forefront.

This kind of info is invaluable and realtively timeless in nature.:clap

Great ida Mr LOco!!

Let's make a little noise!!

The CAt
  4. 12ride

12ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In February of 2005 myself and a friend crossed into Mexico at the Naco crossing(south of Bisbee). The immigration and vehicle registration offices were just around the corner from each other. In addition at the vehicle office they made all copies on their copy machine and did not charge us anything. We also paid all fees at that office and took the receipt back to immigration who issued us the travel permits. It took about 30 minutes.

We later took the ferry to Baja Sur from Topolobampo to La Paz and was not asked about travel permits. When we came back from Santa Rosalita to Los Mochus on that ferry we were not asked for anything except cash. They would not accept credit cards. (the ferry from Topo. to La Paz took credit cards). We came back through Naco on the way home and turned in our vehicle permits. (5 minutes??). jim
  5. free2slide

free2slide Telluride

Oddometer:
    Awesome post, some things I had already heard about and some things you mentioned were new. I saved your posts and web site link in my documents.

Does a small cargo trailer pulled behind a motorcycle count as another vehicle requiring seperate documentation?

I'm planning a Central American motorcycle surfing trip. I'm trying to fabricate a pull behind to carry extra water, camping gear, and surf board for remote surf spots.

I had a buddy of mine and his girlfriend do the same trip in a Nissan truck. They camped at surf breaks the whole way down and back and never had a serious incident. They were gone about 6 months and spent 3 grand, mostly on gas...:ear
  6. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    How sweet this information is. I just copied it. The wife and I just got back from a 31 day, 6400 mile trip to the pacific northwest, British Columbia and back to Colorado. This was our warmup ride for our trip through Mexico to the Panama Canal and back starting December 1, a 3 month adventure.
    Thanks again.
  7. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Well I guess this thread is now in Outer Darkness!

I guess that's better than nothing. Now, lets make it a STICKY!!
  8. free2slide

free2slide Telluride

Oddometer:
    What is...and how do you make something a "sticky"?

JT
  9. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how a Sticky is created, but the moderator is the one to
    take care of this.

This forum is moderated by "philspace" who probably has moved on
    and no longer reads this forum. Dunno.
  10. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    My understanding (always suspect) is that 'they' (I've never met 'they') are in the process of fluffing up the Regionals. Some additional sub-Mod help, or maybe more, for the different regions.

I'm guessing that Sir Bald Smart One understands the long term possibilities.
    Philspace is a good dude, so just PM him (overload him with demands) with any questions.

Yeah, patience sux....:D
  11. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    I crossed the border at Nogales. I was able to avoid going throuh the shaddy city by taking the MARIPOSA rd. If i remember correctly is exit number 139 there is a Carls Junior and a Valero where you can get gas one last time. Once you get of Mariposa you need to take a right.

I crossed around 11am. There was no line at all. The "offices" to get the importation paper work and visa are at km 21. When i got there nobody was there. I first had to file the paper work for my visa - i just had to show my passport. Then I went to another building where i handed my documents including registration and driver license. then they sent me to make copies of my documents each copy was 25 cents. then i return to the other building. They had a Banjercito right there so i was able to pay all the fees on the spot with a credit card.

I followed Jeff advice and got the Visa for 6 months however the vehicle can only stay in the country for 3 months at a time.

the lady there said that the visa is valid for multiple entries however the vehicle importation is not because you need to give back the sticker once you leave the country.

once i was done with my paperwork another person showed up behind me.

the whole process took me approx. 40 min from when i shut off the engine and turned it back on.
  12. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr. Loco,
    I have to agree 100% with you on this. I'm getting ready to ride from Matamoros to Manangua in January and it's really hard finding info from those who have made similar trips and made posts like this excellent one. Here's my vote for creating a Trip Planning forum and also for making this the first sticky in that forum.

STICKY? HELL YES!!! :clap :clap :clap

TRIP PLANNING FORUM? DOUBLE HELL YES!!!:clap:clap:clap
  13. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    I guess I don't understand ADVrider. This disappeared from Outer Darkness. Guess I need to post it to my own website so it doesn't get lost in cyberspace. Several people have asked about it, so I'm posting this to see if it reappears.

jeff
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Good info, Sir Munn.
    And a nice ride report to boot.
  15. nicolascav

nicolascav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great info. what i do is i scan all my paper work .. so if anything happens i can go to a cyber cafe open yahoo,( or what ever) and get all my info
  16. Flying Gringo 101

Flying Gringo 101 custodia flammae

Oddometer:
    Jeff:

Leaving for C.A. in a few weeks and I'm planning on re-posting your excellent tips on riding Central America in the initial portion of the ride report. I have followed each precaution you've advised, although the completion of a will (per your recomendation) was not a highlight of the pre-trip planning :lol3 .

I've searched for credible travel info and found your advice to be the most sound.....

Thanks again.....
  17. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Jeff, thanx for taking the time to post this comprehensive guide to touring in Central America. That is exactly what my friends and I are planning for next year. I'll probably be asking you a few specific questions as our planning gets underway.

Once again, thanx.
  18. haggeo

haggeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i took the topo ferry to la paz last weekend and was not asked for anything other than identification and money. if you are going beyond sonora or baja you do need import papers for the bike, that you are asked for them is another matter. we had to show them at 2 of the 5-6 checkpoints we went through.
  19. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    How come this isn't stickied yet? Does this forum NOT HAVE a moderator or something? I'm leaving for Mexico next month and have been rereading this thread for its very useful info and realized I have something to give back. I speak kind of crap spanish, but this was posted to the KLR list awhile back and I saved it. Worth printing out and carrying with, I'd think:

Tire llanta
    Sproket sprocket or corona
    Chain cadena
    Link eslabón
    Pin perno
    Nut tuerca
    Bolt tornillo
    Spoke rayo
    Wheel rin
    Bearing balero
    Foot Peg posa pie
    Lever palanca
    Brakes frenos
    Brake pad balata
    Brake line manguera de freno
    Brake fluid liquido de frenos
    Radiator radiador
    Fan abanico or ventilador
    Head cabeza
    Cam rod árbol de levas
    Connecting Rod biela
    Piston pistón
    Rings anillos
    Cylinder liner camisa
    Cylinder cilindro
    Crank shaft cigüeñal
    Oil seal retén de aceite
    Gasket junta
    Hose manguera
    Spring resorte
    Handlebar manubrio
    Valve shims pastillas, calibradores, lainas de calibración
    Valves válvulas
    Exhaust escape
    Intake admisión
    Balancer contrapeso
    Grips puños
    Windshield parabrisas
    C clip seguro
    Cotter pin chaveta
    Shrouder tolva
    Lamp faro
    Tail lamp calavera
    Bulb foco
    Fuse fusible
    Cable cable
    Shock amortiguador
    Inner tube cámara

TOOLS:

Spanner llave española
    Screwdriver desarmador (philips) de cruz (Sloted) plano
    Allen wrench llave allen
    Pliers pinzas
    Vice grips pinzas de presión
    Ratchet wrench matraca
    Box wrench dados
    Tire iron espátulas
    Adjustable wrench perico
    Condom condón

Edit:
    Having returned from this trip, let me add one more little suggestions. If you have a really fat bike or boxes that are a hassle to remove, get a scrap of string and tie two knots in it that exactly line up with your bikes widest parts (not the handlebars if that's it, since they waggle). When you're trying to figure out if your bike will or won't fit through some hotel lobby, pull the string out of your pocket and save yourself the hassle and embarrassment of getting halfway in (or up a half dozen steps and through the first of two doors) and not making it the last bit. At the end of a long day, especially if you're at the second or third hotel after dealing with traffic in some city, it's worth it to save the little effort.
  20. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I cross posted this here so it would be easier to find. :evil