Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->It's been a long winter so I kept myself busy by tinkering with my DRZ.
    [​IMG]

I hand fabricated the lower mount for the RAM ball to fit on the cross bar for my E-Trex. Also added a mountain bike pump with two settings (high pressure or high volume). I have also added a 12v outlet to the right side of the gage cluster; it is powered via a relay which only activates when the key is in the on position.
    [​IMG]

I fabricated a tool tube from 3" PVC pipe (DWV sch 40), pressure plug and 3/16" x 1" aluminium flatstock. The tube also holds my soft bags out from under the rear fender.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forward tube plug is rubber. Tube holds tire repair stuff including irons, allen set, electrical tape, zip ties, rachet and sockets. Wing nut is safetied with a clevis pin. Very robust and absolutely waterproof.

[​IMG]

Heat shield to protect soft bags made from .030 aluminum with 1/4" stand off from pipe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the rack/mount I made for the DRZ; it is made from .080 aluminum...

The four medium holes have self-locking anchor nuts installed on the underside. This will enable me to install/remove the Kolpin mount with a only phillips screwdriver in about a minute.
    [​IMG]

with the Kolpin mount installed.
    [​IMG]

With the pack installed.
    [​IMG]<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

strathbran steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'll take some pics the next time I'm out on it (the kids are off school on holiday just now, so i'm on 4 wheels for the duration) its quite quiet but there is a removable baffle (8mm bolt) the fella next door has one on his KTM which he runs with no baffle, LOUD, but sounds good! not sure about the spark arrestor.
  3. wide open

wide open in second gear

Oddometer:
    Kodiak Frank,
    Great photos and that's great work!

I'm really curious though - with your big gas tank (is that a 28L Safari?), where are you headed where you'll need the Kolpin, too?
  4. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    The tank is a IMS 4 (point something) gallon. We have several places here where you need 240 -250 miles worth of fuel (Dempster Hwy, Dalton Hwy).

I can also swap it out for a water pack for remote weekend camping.
  5. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I picked up this jewel last Sunday. It's an '03 with.............hold on to yer hat.................525 miles. :D And, it came with a Sargent seat. :clap The tailbag's kinda awkward, but it works for now. I'll either buy a rack, or fab something.

[​IMG]

I've already ordered a pile of must-have stuff, including a jet kit. Tonight I started the airbox mod. Not quite the 3X3 yet, but bigger than stock. I also punched four 1/2 in. holes inside the muffler. Helps breathing a tad, & gives it just a little throatey sound, without being loud.

[​IMG]

And I added a Powerlet outlet on the battery cover.

[​IMG]

Can't wait for my TT, Dennis Kirk, & flea bay boxes to arrive. :ricky
  7. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have one of those on my Drz. But I have a tough and naturally well padded posterior. I like it. I think it helps. Nicer having the sheepskin rather than vinyl on your butt.

[​IMG]
  8. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one, and it makes a difference. With only the stock seat, a 130 mile ride would really hurt. I now know exactly where my prostate is. :bluduh With the sheepskin, 200 miles is tolerable. I have ridden 400 mile days with padded bicycle short and the sheepskin, and it wasn't too bad. Maybe my arse is getting tougher, but I'm using my sheepskin on all long trips.

I was worried that the sheepskin wouldn't fit my green DRZ-S well, but when I got it, it was literally a perfect fit on the stock seat.
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    What size did you get?
  10. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Huzband,

A Sargent seat? Never heard of them. Do you have any more info on it? The stock seats on these bike are the worst thing IMO. Corbins are nice but pricey.
  11. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the "DUALSPORT FULL SADDLE-15"x29" Deluxe model", $99.95. The Alaska leathers web site says it was designed for the BMW 1150 Adventure, so I was skeptical that it would fit the long and narrow DRZ seat. However, I called up and told them I wanted one for a DRZ400S. I didn't know if they had one that was custom fit for the Suzuki, but the one they sent me covered the seat perfectly. The actual shape does not look like the oval on the web site, it is cut to fit the DRZ. I was pleasantly surprised. It does raise the seat height a little, due to the thickness of the pad.
  12. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    What do you get when you cover a 2 X 12 with leather?

A Corbin seat. :lol3

Try this;

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

Growing up, the expression "numb nuts" was popular. I never really knew what it was until I took some long rides on the DRZ.:lol3
  14. wickedthunder.com

wickedthunder.com Who's leading?!

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd chime in here and let you guys know that Saddlemen and Pro Pad also make seat pads. Haven't seen the ones from Alaska Leather but I did take a look at their website with the link provided by scooteraug02. It appears they have more size options than Saddlemen or Pro Pad but I didn't see anywhere on there where it tells what kind of padding Alaska Leather uses besides the actual sheepskin. Anyway, Saddlemen and Pro Pad offers what they call "visco-elastic" dry polymer seat pads which they claim is "not a gel" but is feels just like a gel seat. Appears they don't offer as many sizes as Alaska Leather but you can choose between them being covered in sheepskin, Spandura vinyl, or as a raw gel pad for you to cover yourself. Prices range from $53 - $156 depending on size and covering. If anyone's interested in one I'm sure most of your local dealers can probably get them direct or some size options are available to dealers from Parts Unlimited. If your local dealers won't help let me know and I'll be glad to help anyone looking for one. Also provided links below...

http://www.saddlemen.com/products/products.html

http://www.thepropad.com/

Haven't tried one personally yet, but considering it. I usually average 100-150 miles a ride so would probably feel good by the end of the day.
  15. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    True, but it's better than the stocker! I've got a Corbin on mine and, although there may be better seats out there, I wouldn't trade mine especially after breaking that bitch in after 3k miles. :eek1
  16. CATCH-22

CATCH-22 Sublime ADVenturer

Oddometer:
    Well,when I ordered my corbin I asked for 2" extra foam.I can ride for hours,I have no complaint's.[​IMG]
  17. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I knew I'd get it for that one. I was just funnin' about. :D

If there weren't so many different butts out there, there wouldn't be so many seat companies.

One mans torture rack is another mans nirvana. :lol3
  18. Dude

Dude super-retard

Oddometer:
    My experience with Corbin has been good. My butt likes the hard seat better than soft and I have not had the problems with service that others have complained about, mostly because the seats came and never gave me trouble. They are too expensive. That said, I got to spend some time on a Seargent and though it was great. The DR/DRZ seats are horrible from the factory and almost anything is an improvement.
  19. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    I did the same here. The Corbin on my DRZ was one of the most comfortable motorcycle seat I had, second only to the stock seat on my Buell Ulysses.
  20. Stillupright

Stillupright Make my day

Oddometer:
    Went to Sargent web site and didn't find a seat listed for the DRZ. Does anyone have a Sargent?:dogDon't have a Corbin butt and would like a better seat. I have made my own sheepskin pads before for about $40.00