RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It no worries man. I didn't "loose" the music. I went through and made space. I have all of that backed up at home. I have a 100 Gig Dropbox that I'm backing up my photos in case something happens to my comp. I'm meeting lots of crazy skibum/boarder kids from Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia so I look at this as a chance to pic up some interesting music that I might not otherwise ever hear.

There are Police at every chair lift. this is to keep people from poaching I more then anything. I don't see signs of the war surprisingly. Safety here is not an issue. Just don't get to drunk and get lost in the mountains. And assume every car at night has a drunk driver. As far as the relation between Georgia and Russia? Russians can come to Georgia at will, but Georgians can't go into Russia. I've been told it is very hard for Georgians to go anywhere... or at least to get visas.

My camera has been kaput for about 2 weeks now.. so I need to fix that and get some more photos of the snow and the beautiful creatures that inhabit this environment.
  2. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:

Yes, yes you do:wink:
  3. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds and looks like an amazing place.
  4. bob66

bob66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice views in Georgia. I would like to ski there.

For very good information about Siberia read Colebach's RRs.

Bob
  5. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been slowly catching up on it. They are in Kazakhstan where I am reading. What I don't like about the report is the KTM is giving them so much trouble. I have had nothing but good luck with mine and I don't want their badluck to rub off. :deal

Of course, I carry spare fuel pump, filter, injector, hose, ect. I think I am a bit more prepared to work on the 690 then the guy in that report.
  6. bob66

bob66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure to read the other RR also..

we were in Mongolia in 2010 and we did a very nice route - a mix of northern and middle routes .. if you want I can send you the garmin files (send me a pm)

also I recommend you to stay a few days in Altai Mountains in Russia and to exit from the main road.

Bob
  7. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I plan on leaving Georgia the start of May. I will be taking my sweet time across Siberia. I love info (especially now when i have a chance to study it) so please send what you have. Noah.horak (at) gmail.

It seems my 690 (fishfund's old bike) was talked about a lot in the siberski thread. I didn't realize that because I am just now getting the time to get caught up.
  8. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was the fuel pump that was causing the problems (I see Rod [the KTM rider] has a 2008 like you. Once the pump was changed it ran sweetly again.

On another subject:

Can I ask you what tyre pressures you've been running? I recently put the rally raid evo1 tanks on the front, which makes things heavy - just wondering how your tyre tread is wearing.
  9. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Tire pressure? I run close to max of the tire. I find that the tires last longer and you don't get as many flats. I would rather struggle a bit in the soft and not have to worry about that random rock that will bend your rim and pinch your tube.

I know what you mean about it being heavy up front. When I have my gear on the back I don't notice. If the bike is unloaded, I will leave the front tanks empty and it feels like the stock 690.
  10. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Well. I've been slacking. I don't have any pictures of the good powder days because.. well I'm having to much fun. For the past week there has not been any new snow. Its like spring conditions here. In the morning it is ICY and it softens up in the afternoon. You have about 2 hours of good riding. I Finaly got my camera fixed and my passport is now with the Russian Embassy to get my Visa for this summer. Other then the riding, I have been meeting a lot of good people. Georgia is a pretty popular place for Ukrainians.

[​IMG]
    Lots of Cha Cha.

[​IMG]
    Lots. Of. Cha Cha.

[​IMG]
    Georgian beer. 2.5 liters for 5.50 Lari. About $3.50. And its actually quite good.

[​IMG]
    The Georgian BBQ is amazing. This night was Beef, Pork and Lamb.

[​IMG]
    We have good parties too.

[​IMG]
    Anna. My Georgian friend who can keep up to me on a board. Its quite impressive since she has only been riding for 3 years.. and me for 18.

[​IMG]
    New Ukrainian Friends.

So. Yesterday the snow was shit in the morning but got soft in the afternoon. We decided to do some back country and drop a very nice powder field down to the main road (Georgian Military Road). We had done the ride the day before so we knew it would be good. My picture don't do justice for the size of this slope but it is a couple KM worth of riding. When you get to the road, you wait for a car or bus to pic you up. This time we got picked up by an old Russian dump truck. So about 7 of us pilled in the back with our boards and skis to ride back to Gudauri. This road is a perfect ADV road and I will make sure to ride it before I leave Georgia.

[​IMG]
    Getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Backside 180s off windlips! This was taken from a friends GoPro footage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Waiting for a ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it for now.
  11. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Fk'n Outstanding!! :clap:clap

[​IMG]
    hunterkey likes this.
  12. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Kind of makes you miss trees and rock outcroppings! I've only been riding snowboards for 10 years longer than you have. Does that make me old yet? So wish I was there! Thanks for keeping the stoke going. I've been enjoying your trip.
  13. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    Wow👍
  14. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    No trees in Gudauri. But there are some nice rocks, cliffs, shoots and even a few pillow lines. Those will definitely be photo'd and filmed in the near future.
    Want to feel old? I was 1 when you started snowboarding. :eek1
  15. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    awesome powder shots, speaking of old...in 1982 I remember a guy in high school wood shop making his own version of the Brunnswick Snurfer, laminated thin layers of walnut then soaked for like 2 weeks in a trash can of water to get the bend. Was right on the cusp of modern day snowboarding. And I was in Vail a few years later when they finally relented and allowed boarders on the slopes, skiers HATED it, thought it was the demise of the true skiing experience.
  16. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Jealouse i want some fresh pow pow
  17. E-Bum

E-Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Living it up dude! You've got a long way to go, but if I am still in Antofagasta, Chile, you are welcome to stop by whatever place I may have at the time (25 year old ME working in a desalinization plant down here).

But whatever, that's a hell of a long way down the road it looks like. Enjoy it all and keep the good stuff coming.
  18. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah dude.. that is a ways down the road. :deal
    But.. if you are still there when I get to SouthAm... we should have a beer or a ride:freaky
  19. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I sent a list of parts to be ordered for me. They include:
    -All new bearings/bushings for the rear suspension.
    -The link and cantilever that were boogered up when my lower shock bolt came loose a few months back.
    [​IMG]

-Steering head bearings
    -Spare clutch slave
    -New starter.. mine was making bad noises and I don't think its serviceable.
    -Spare fork seals
    -Spare wheel bearings
    -Camshaft and auto decompress. This is what boogered up my exhaust rocker roller.

I will also be doing a new chain, sprockets possibly break pads too. I have to look.
  20. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Welp. Its been about 10 days since we've had snow. The resort is loosing so much snow every day. It feels like spring. Those of you who hate winter, please send snow my way. I don't have all my visas in order yet so I can't hop on the bike just yet.

Today we decided to go trekking to find snow. We climbed to about 3300m and drop in on the north face of a slope. It was well protected from the wind and the sun so we actually found some decent powder. It was crusty but at least not icy. This time instead of a dump truck we hitched a ride in a Ukrainian semi truck.

[​IMG]
    Noah was the fast one? I got a bit of a head start.. so I could snap some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You don't want to go where the rocks are.:deal

[​IMG]
    Huge wet slides on most of the south facing slopes. You have to choose where you go wisely and stay safe.

[​IMG]
    Sometimes you ride the windlip. sometimes the windlip rides you. :lol3

[​IMG]
    Other people are a bit more graceful

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The road to the Russian border. About 10 miles away.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.