NEW Tiger 800 xc DEAD for 3+ months (now resolved)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by aarlint, Jul 5, 2012.

1. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you do the 5 cent mod to help the bottom end?:deal
  2. motomuppet

motomuppet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm your huckleberry? Whats that mean?

Would be an interesting (if pointless) race though. My money would be on the XC up to around 100kmph or so then the Yammy would blow by.

I believe the point that was being made was the Tenere feels slow...for a 1200cc bike...the power delivery makes it feel sluggish and lethargic.

In comparison the 800cc Tiger feels lively and fun.

Somepeople clearly enjoy large displacment, relatively slow engines...just look at all the Harleys on the road :D
  3. bloodline

bloodline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch. A Harley comparison...

I haven't said anything derogatory about anyone's bike or person.

I'm just saying I will gladly race the guy that says a tenere won't get out of its own way. I'm betting my bike that I will beat him.

Truth is, I have raced a tiger 800xc, a few times. I know what will happen.

I'm not knocking the tiger. It's a great bike.

I'd be glad to take one home.

A lot of big mouths on here with no clue.
  4. bloodline

Oddometer:
    And a few people get it.

Feeling fast and being fast are not necessarily the same thing.

I miss my yz125. It always felt like I was doing something until I got around a big bike.

Enjoy your Tiger. Its a blast.
  5. bloodline

Oddometer:
    Motopuppet, how much you want to wager?
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    someone tried both....
    On Tenere tread I read that with TKC80 it did 4.21 to 60.
    On road tires I read 3.4 in URL I posted above.
    Reported Tiger XC on stock tyres do 3.62 to 60 (with current ignition map).
    Original Tiger 800 on stock tyres with first edition map (just when it came out, as you know it had flat spot in low rpms and overlean mix) was 3.72.
    In december 2010 Motorrad (german mag) did very detailed write up with consistent results close to first edition test in this video (3.72)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKl_dJIDZfo

Here is Motorrad - again, first version of ignition map that as we all know had issues.
    http://www.motorradonline.de/einzel...ad-messungen-leistungsdiagramm/347275?seite=4
    Beschleunigung:
    0-100 km/h 3,7 sek
    0-140 km/h 6,6 sek
    0-200 km/h 22,0 sek

Durchzug:
    60-100 km/h 3,9 sek
    100-140 km/h 4,7 sek
    140-180 km/h 8,3 sek

At same time riders from MCN never got more than close to 4 second from Tiger AND from GS800.

However other than 0 to 100 kmph times were different story all over the place.
    http://www.motorradonline.de/einzel...z-super-tnr-motorrad-messungen/308410?seite=3

Beschleunigung:
    0-100 km/h 3,7 sek
    0-140 km/h 6,9 sek
    0-200 km/h 22,6 sek

Durchzug:
    60-100 km/h 4,6 sek
    100-140 km/h 5,1 sek
    140-180 km/h 7,6 sek

Now give this to people who know how to do it properly (pro drag racers) and they will show you that few .X can still be shaven off by expert for all bikes. And all those figures above will become totally pointless.
    It is ALWAYS more of rider than a bike.

With all my respect to Supertenere owners - do not brag about drag racing anyone with passenger etc.
    It is good powerfull fast bike but it is not made to compete in drag racing just as well as tiger not aimed at it.
    Any contemporary sport liter will eat both for breakfast - but why would he want to do it???
  7. bloodline

Oddometer:
    Lol
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Not nearly as creepy as you think.... Just want to make sure someone close to me was not being an ass.
  10. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ever watch the movie "Tombstone". Scene where Doc Holiday meets up with Johnny Ringo?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KfbAFgD2mLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Well said.
  12. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had about 3 hours worth of clues on the Tenere. The bottom end is shit. Thats my opinion. Thats the opinion of the vast majority of people wko have ridden it and who know bikes. I not going to get into chest thumping about drag racing bikes but I believe your wrong on the quick times. The Tenere would blow by the XC on top but the XC IS quicker in short distances. That was and is my experience. I have owned quite a few bikes in my time, both off road and on. Yamaha makes a good bike but they missed it big with this motor.
  13. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Just seen this. I sent a reply to my tiger800 purchaser survey and mentioned this thread and how I'd not have purchased a Triumph if I'd seen the very poor treatment you've received.

Checked back and my reply to triumph was 2 days after they agreed to replace your bike. So, I didn't help in the finish but figured it would have put additional pressure on them if it'd not been resolved

. Great they finally came to the party, late but better than not at all and you ge the bonus of a 2013 bike.:clap:clap:clap

I changed my tiger 800 into a 2012 model multistrada. Just done a long ride and love the Ducati but there are elements of the tiger I'd still enjoy.

Won't miss that popcorn thing going on when you throttle down though! :huh Did they fix that for 2013?
  14. motomuppet

Oddometer:
    haha...Your point about the YZ125 is exactly what I am talking about. Racing 125's is a blast, and when you get it right you feel like you are flying. The 800 gives you the feeling of going fast by making you work the bike harder. The Tenere may very well be faster (I have never raced one, just ridden one on its own), but it just does not feel fast (and I still reckon the XC will beat it to 100kmph!)

I rode a 2008 Aprilia RSV Factory on a track once and loved it. That bike was so engaging and fun, but after about 6 laps I was stuffed. I jumped off and rode a 2008 R1 (it was a Pirelli tire test and we had about 12 different bikes available to us on Catalunya....was a hell of a day!) and the R1 was so easy to ride it was almost boring in comparison, but I was going a second a lap quicker on it from the get go. Which bike would I buy....the Aprilia for sure!

You ever come out to Singapore and I will race you on anything we can get our hands on for beers. :lol3
  15. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a report back from Birds of Prey in Caldwell, Idaho. They went to work on my bike and found an error. Unfortunately I don't know the exact error code, but they think it's the antenna in the immobilizer that's the problem. One is on order and hopefully it will arrive soon and fix it. It's cool to have a shop call me and keep me informed what's going on.

I believe the immobilizer was replaced in Austin's bike and the problem persisted. We shall see.

I think Birds of Prey is going to be a good Triumph dealer. I've been waiting over a week for a call back from the Triumph shop in Sandy and haven't heard a peep, and Peter Carleo never has returned my emails. Not real impressed with the way they're doing business, but I probably sound like a broken record on that.

If Austin is still checking in, I am curious if he got his new bike yet.
  16. motomuppet

Oddometer:
    oh yeah! Great movie...need to see that again! Thanks!
  17. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    I am picking up the new bike... well its 1am so i guess im picking it up today! It isnt a 2013 since they found a 2012 black one is some corner of the US somewhere. Peter was a day off when he estimated a week. The bike showed up at 3 on the 26th. I had to call the dealer to ask when they could have it ready by and they said it would be ready for pickup with my rack transferred off the old bike and the new engine guards and lowered seat ready to go. Unfortunately I havent been super impressed with response time and frequency since the very beginning of this issue. Peter and the dealer both have been less than responsive. If I were you PHillip I would try and get another agent at the service department. The phone number is on their website under service.

I had 2 immobilizers put on my bike. Neither fixed the issue. I hope yours is just an immobilizer and that we can maybe go on an end of season ride when your bike is fixed! Good luck!
  18. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your new bike. Hope it's totally trouble free. I'm trying to be optimistic, but also realistic. Hopefully Triumph delivers the part in a reasonable amount of time. It sounds like yours spent a long time in the shop waiting for parts.

It's good that mine is finally getting worked on, but I'm also nervous I could be losing it for a good part of the summer.
  19. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
  20. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Aarlint. Welcome back to the world of riding. Hopefully this is the end of the issues. Man, you have great riding country up there.