Some good day loops in N Georgia?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Queen of Spades, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    I want to exploring N. Georgia, but I have no idea where to start and don't have a decent GPS yet. I hear there is or was a good FS map to be bought in the stores up there, but I'm wondering if someone has transferred these roads to KML or google maps? Also a map won't always depict how tough a road/trail is.

In short, I'm looking for day loops that involve ample dirt, mud, and maybe some water crossings. I want to stay off tarmac and limit the well-graded gravel roads.

Can I get some recommendations on some good loops to start with?
  2. PoodlePumper

PoodlePumper Custom Title User

Oddometer:
    Hey there - interested as well.

There's some good FS riding up in the Cohuttas / Conasauga Wilderness area. I may go today.... I enter from Cisco, GA. Take 411 there and hang a right on Old Hwy 2. Pavement ends pretty quickly. Lots of options once you're back there.

You can end up by the Ocoee River or near Ellijay, etc.

PP
  3. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    What time were you thinking of heading out? Doubt I can make it up there in time to do much riding but would be into scheduling a day ride next weekend.
  4. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    It takes me aboot 90 minutes to get there from Rome and at least 90 more once there. I'll be out of town next weekend but can ride in two weeks...the 26th or 27th.

PP
  5. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's a 2.5 hr drive to get to Cisco from my location. I'm totally up for it, though maybe camp the night before and ride early the day of. Is it possible to get from Cisco to Suches on FS roads within 4-5 hours?

(I wish maps.google let us route via USFS roads!)
  6. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    Now that I don't know....we'll have to try sometime. :D

PP
  7. 00_Green

00_Green Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Mad Maps And "INFO-MAP". Both available at most of the local bike shops. At one time I had a book called Extreme Twisties that had a number of good loops mapped out.
  8. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    Shall we set something up for 10/26? It'd be great to meet up with everyone for a ride. :ricky

PP
  9. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Very possible - will be traveling either Nov 1 or outside chance Oct 26. I'll know in the next week or so. Subscribed to thread. :*sip*
  10. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    That route going in at Cisco is known as the Cohutta Death March, or CDM. It was given that name as its the location of a very difficult annual mountain bike ride. Some Google searched on Cohutta Death March will provide some good maps of the route.

You can enter the CDM at Cisco by the old stone church. If you pack heat, you can take some target practice at a decent shooting range right where the pavement ends and the dirt begins. Also, a privy bathhouse located there.
    The loop is about 70 miles and has 14 mountain gaps/peaks. Great scenery and diversity. No gas/food services and cell service is hit and miss. Its all gravel and dirt forest service roads. No mud or water crossings (Unless there were recent rains). A handful of bridges. Half in TN and half in GA. The section near the Ocoee puts you within 3 miles of the Olympic whitewater center. Conasauga Lake has bathrooms and water. Other than that, the loop is pretty remote, but very enjoyable for any size dual sport. Large dual sport bikes do fine on these forest service roads. (GS1200, Triumph, etc) You'll pass a handful of cars/trucks as you ride this loop. Lots of primitive camping in this area and a very popular multi-day hiking destination into the Big Frog Wilderness.

If you are coming from the South, I highly recommend Rock Creek OHV just off the Dalton by-pass. It begins in Chatsworth, GA and parallels highway 52, the road that goes over Ft. Mountain. Very challenging two track road deep in the woods. Lots of tough climbs and descents. I rode it yesterday. Both myself and riding buddy were put off on one very difficult climb. Second attempt, we both got over. Its been dry here. I think after a heavy rain, parts of this trail would be nearly impossible. (Large dual sport bikes are NOT recommended on this trail.) A 650 or smaller would be fine. You'll use every inch of travel in your suspension... There are high speed sections with great jumps and low speed technical climbs over and around loose boulders.

The reason I mention Rock Creek OHV is because it puts you out on Highway 52 very near where you can join back into the Cohutta Loop at Potato Patch Mountain.

So, for a great day ride with very little paved roads, the Cohutta loop and Rock Creek combination would be both challenging and scenic. You would likely total about 100 miles of non-paved riding.

I'll likely ride it again in early November. Parts of the CDM are closed January through March so that the Turkeys can have some peace... Not a joke. Its a turkey habitat. If you need directions to Rock Creek, let me know. The USFS web site directions are kinda vague. BTW, this OHV is open in spite of it being in a US National Forest, given the void of leadership in the nation's capital right now...

Have fun.
  11. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Are the USFS roads closed or open in this time of federal clowning around?
  12. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Most roads are open; services closed. i.e. The FS road to Consauga Lake is open, the bathrooms and swimming in the lake are closed.
  13. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    Great info, TN3Sport! We might just get a group up there soon. :clap

Rock Creek sounds great but I'll avoid it for now with the new ride.

PP
  14. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:

Not sure if it's because of hunting season or what, but all the gates were open today including some that are normally closed.
  15. hangingdog hillbilly

hangingdog hillbilly Moonshiner

Oddometer:
    gates open for hunter access or moto acess :D
  16. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:
    I assume hunter access, but I wasn't huntin
  17. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    Ridin' tomorrow? :ricky

PP
  18. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Ugh, not going to be able to make it after all. I hope to have a backlog of work cleared out of the way in a few weeks, then will head out for some day trips. I'll repost here when I know I'm able to go!
  19. PoodlePumper

Oddometer:
    I plan to ride Friday if the rain's not too bad. :ear

PP