Bike transport sub forum?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by muddyrabbit, Sep 27, 2011.

?

Do you think a bike transport forum would be beneficial to the ADV community?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    How about it? There are always inmates looking to ship a bike, and inmates traveling with room for a bike. So a sub forum in the Flea Market seems like it could be helpful. Just a specific place to post offers to transport and transport needed.
  2. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    Posting the offer or need in the relevant regionals is probably the best thing to do.

If someone does it as a business, there's always vendors.
  3. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    OK, this may sound like I'm being a smart ass, but I'm not, just trying to illustrate my reasoning.

So if I'm leaving from Ohio, in the "Central" forum, and headed to Baja, in the "Latin America" forum, and passing through the forums for "Tejas and the Gulf States", "The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...", and "West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left", and willing to pick up a bike, or bike and inmate along my route, should I post in all of those forums?

This is why it seems like a bike transport forum could be something useful to the community. A central place to post for people who are looking to hitch a ride for themselves and their bike, or to post up if you are going cross country (or continent) and have room for another bike.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving and do you have room for me? :D
  5. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    February 10th and yes!
  6. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
    I agree with muddyrabbit. As a buyer/seller who is very active in the FM, I often find myself scrambling to try and get a bike back from some remote region. For example, I bought a DR350 in Tucson and I am in NY. I ended up buying a truck in Tucson and am flying in and driving back. A dedicated forum with North-South and East-West (travel direction) sub forums would be very useful and active, I believe. I myself travel from NY through New England often and perhaps a sub forum of "common routes" with people who can help regularly in their travels, would be of use. Maybe I can lay it out and mod it? I would be willing.

Respectfully submitted,

Yahbo aka Rick Warner FM Champion
  7. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    This would also be something of direct benefit to adventure riders planning a trip, and a lot more relavent to what the site is all about than some of the other fluff.
  8. YAHBO

Oddometer:
    Fuckin A.
  9. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    In the Latin America forum, we're talking about a special Latin America "Shipping" thread, or making it a Shipping, Products, and Services" thread. It'll incorporate many of the old Vendors and Flea Market rules, but also offer guidelines for inmates. It'll be part Informational, part Vendors, and part Why Shipping Sucks.

Misery Goat predicts a 50% failure rate.
  10. Retro

Oddometer:
    :nod

Relevant regional thread is the way to go.
  11. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I was thinking a shipping sub forum might best be located in Trip Planning, below the regions, instead of the Flea Market.
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    If there's a Shipping thread in Americas, then guys looking for containers heading to Chile will get drowned out by others looking for a trailer from one US state to another US state. There's a real demand for shipping within the US, and a completely different demand for shipping from the US to South America. I don't know anything about shipping to and from other continents.

How the site has evolved matters. Remember how the regional forums were basically just the US, Europe, and Outer Darkness? Back then the Trip Planning- Americas forum was more precisely Americas. I think that the Regional forums are now mature enough to stand more on their own.
  13. YAHBO

Oddometer:
    Understood but which is more relevant, destination, origin or "help along the way"?
  14. Retro

Oddometer:
    Post it to both.
  15. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Exactly why a dedicated sub forum would be helpful.
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:

But cross-posting is against the rulz.
  17. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree ...We need a seperate spot where inmates can go to rather than sifting through different regional forums. I know in the past from my own experiences it would have helped !
  18. Retro

Oddometer:
    Not in this case since it would be relevant in both.

But, I'll monitor the transport requests. We'd need probably several hundred valid requests per year for this to be considered.

Don't look for it to happen in the next few weeks, or even months. Adding new forums takes a long time and a lot of discussion.
  19. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    You're so full of shit.
  20. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    :lurk