How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. hinchlual

hinchlual Hinchy

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket bash plate that will fit over Remus header pipes? I've tried Touratech, Wunderlich, 3DX and the BMW plate, but none of them fit because the Remus header pipes are substantially wider than the stock items or any of the other aftermarket pipes such as Akropovics. If not, then it looks like the only other option is to make my own like this one.
  2. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    I was a bit skeptical of this thread when you started, thinking, "what's the point?". But you have won me over. I may not be so into the whole carbon fibre look, but you are very talented and the possibilities of this material are very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop or the tools that you have to try this (and finding the same source materials here in spain is probably tricky), but I really appreciate the time and patience you have put into explaining the process. It's fascinating. Thank you!

Incidentally, the grooves in the bashplate, are they to help the plate fit around the pipes?
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    When post curing in the sun I was able to see temps of the composites of 200 deg.F. By leaving it in there for 6 hrs.....instead of the " required 2 @300 deg.F.) I would say that that`s enough to achieve enough strength, and then if it heats up more ( i dont know if it does while mounted)...then it will just get stronger. That was done with an outside temp in the mid to high 90`s. If that scenario is not an option........then next is a heat lamp...... It can be had for about $30 at the hardware store...( go with the red light bulb.... The white is cheaper, but has more hot spots. If that is not an option..... Then I would steer away from the high temp epoxy, and use a regular type, like the max-clr. That type requires no post cure heat elevation, and if you sculpt`s the mold to stay about 1 inch away from the cat, and header you should be ok. As far as cutting with the band saw......Or should I say without one.... The saw blade on a little metal hacksaw is essential the same as the one on the band saw..... But with the hack saw....you do all the work..... whereas on the band saw... you don`t. It`s not that the little one won`t cut it..... You just need a lot of beer....:D
    As far as shaping the mold.... You are on the right path..... Excacto knife.... regular knife..... hack saw.... sand paper...... etc... What ever you got....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    520 grams..... Plastic is heavy.....Would be interesting to see what a full size 5mm aluminum bash plate weighs.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks....:thumb......When this is done... I will actually buff the finish to a dull.....more industrial look instead of the high gloss finish. I think it suits the 8gs better......and scratches will not stand out as much. The 3 groves houses the honey comb strips ( cardboard...:D)... They added tremendous stiffness length wise, so if you run up on a rock while in motion..... the energy released in the collision between skid plate and rock will be temporary stored and then released....And in theory bike will bounce off the rock....... When in theory... An aluminum bash plate.....will stay in its new " bend" state..... this one...after absorbing the impact will bounce back.:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    could you make a mold out of the one you made... And make them for us for a good price???:evil great work!!!
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have any concerns with lack of ventilation (air holes) in the bash plate? (potentially overheating the engine, exh header pipes)

Is material too hard to cut/drill/etc holes in it now to disburse air through the bottom of the bash plate, or do you think it might be needed?

Also, do you think venting holes might weaken the bash plate?

Is taking the plastic oem bash plate and adding/gluing styofoam to the sides and ends worth even considering for making the mold (at least you'd have the mounting holes in the right place?

Thx

(I see why you suggested a bash place as a last project due to skill level needed !)
  9. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    :clap

This is fantastic, I'll likely never try to fab something out of CF but, I'm fascinated by the fact that you can do this, with what seems to be, ease.
  10. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Where do you buy the Kevlar and CF? Is it in a 36" bolt like standard materiel?

I am also in an area where I can't bake stuff in the sun, but we have an old electric kitchen oven we use for Powder coating, I could use that.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:D...... It really is not that bad.......I think the biggest enemy here....aside from the post cure....is having patience....lot`s of it. During the time I made the foam mold....I could have made two set`s of airbox covers...... It was not difficult.....But at one panel at a time......takes just that....time. Other than that....no other skill level is needed. If you use the stock plate....you will have some issues with the fabric conforming over the grooves....etc. I think you would be better off by starting from scratch. I will drill some cooling holes, and drain holes. You will loose some integrity.....but not anything to be concerned about. As far as the mount holes.....You just hold up the bash plate where you want it.... then tap underneath with a rubber mallet to make a tiny mark...then drill it. Not hard at all.

Erling
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:

Erling
  13. TireIron

TireIron n00b

Oddometer:
    Totally Awesome :clap
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it from here......50 or 60 inch with.....your choice.....
    http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html

It really depends where it available....at a good price. I get the epoxy from here........ They have CF available at a good price as well.....
    http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Products?_rdc=1

Oven is even better...... Id cook it for 6 hrs at 200 deg. F.no more since the foam will deteriorate above 275..... remember there will be hot spots in any oven.....and last thing you wanna see is your mold start to melt. That way it has enough strength. If you feel lucky.....fire it to 250 for 2 hrs....and your golden......

Erling
  15. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So to speak :lol3
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    this sounds like a project I might try this winter. I enjoy this kind of stuff, and it's really no different then working with fiberglass and cloth doing car or boat repairs. In fact it's easier because your working over a ridged mold instead over a hole in a fender.

It looks like a around $100.00 to get started for my first cloth and epoxy purchase, unless I layered Kevlar then I have another materiel purchase.

Why did you use layers of the two materials?
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a question I get a lot...........The two materials offer their own distinct property`s. The Kevlar has great abrasive and impact resistance. The latter one being offered but with displacement in the direction of the impact. Carbon Fiber offer very little abrasive resistance........But has enormous torsional stiffness. That will help to minimize the displacement of the Kevlar. So In short.....the combination in sandwiching the two materials makes for a greater combination than either material could offer alone.

Erling
  18. TastyPants

TastyPants Harasshole

Oddometer:
    So how much do you think you actually spent on materials?
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would imagine that the fabric`s ran around $ 100..... Resin......$ 25......
    Brush....roller.....gloves.....$ 5.....say about $ 130.... Remember...there are 7 layers in that piece.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, Erling!

So how strong do you think the final product will be? If you high center the bike, will the bash plate be able to hold its weight without the epoxy cracking? Should it be able to take rock hits OK?