P r o j e c t "s"

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TINK, May 3, 2011.

1. Les_Garten

Les_Garten Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ahhh, Ohhhh.

I was going to buy the fairing mount stuff from MotoBins because it was SS.

It is not as good as the BMW mild steel painted stuff?

@TINK:

Great thread. I'm collecting parts to do my RT as well.

Couple of questions:
    1) What Jack is that you are using? I looked at HF and didn't see one like it?
    2) About howmuch did the paint set you back? I am doing Straight black as well, thought about learning to paint.

Also, will my 92 Headlight shell be able to accommodate the ignition switch?
  2. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pull all the electrics off the frames backbone today and stripped off the brake fluid damaged paint.
    [​IMG]

Then brush painted the area with gray primer.
    [​IMG]

Will brush paint area with Semi-gloss Testers enamel once the primer is try.
    [photo pending... ]

TINK
  3. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved the ignition switch into the head lamp housing.
    Had to cut off the rubber connector insulators to get them to pass through the hole in the headlamp, then heat shrink tube them back on once all the connectors were on this inside of the housing. Went ahead and labeled the wires while I was there so I would be sure to get them back on the right connections.

[​IMG]
    TINK
  4. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Les,

I bought the jack used locally off craigslist. It is very similar to the HF unit, they are all about the same, likely all built in the same factory in China. Check craigslist, a lot of guys buy them and then use them very little if at all, then sell them on craigslist.

I got a great deal on my paint, $750 for the 4 pieces. Painter had to spend a lot of time preping the BMW OEM fiberglass front fender and side he would never paint one again for that price. Gas tank had a minor dent that had to be filled and sanded too. You'll just have to search around your area, ask locals where they had their bike painted, ask the local motorcycle shops who does their painting. Finding a good reliable painter is a real PIA, I got lucky when Mike showed up at the local vintage bike meet looking to drum up some business.

I couldn't tell you if a `92 headlamp would work. Perhaps others on this forum could, post photos when you ask.

TINK
  5. Les_Garten

Oddometer:
    Good pointer about CL, thanx!

I looked today, I'll have to drill my headlight shell it seems.

Looks like a Bomb tag there?
  6. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No real progress on the project this week.

Just more priming and wet sanding the side covers. I have about 4 coats of primer on now and it looks like I should be ready to paint the Satin Black top coat after the next round of primer and wet sanding. These side covers have been more work than I expected. When I did the carb covers on my Suzuki Bandit 1200/S it was a quick scuff sand and two coats of Satin Black and I was done. The BMW side covers are a type of fiberglass material that is very porus and has sucked up a lot of primer sealer.

I did dig trough my box-o-parts and started laying out the bits and pieces I've been buying over the past months.
    One more trip to Irv Siever's BMW tonight for some washers and gaskets... will it ever end!?

Took half and hour to dig through the box and locate the two roll pins I bought for the lower triple trees that locate/vent the gator boots.
    I hope to get the triple tree back on and the wiring back on the frame backbone this weekend.

I have everything for the front brakes except the master rebuild. If I can get the master rebuilt this weekend I can reassemble the front forks and brakes.

Stay tuned:lurk , the weekend is coming:wings

TINK
  7. Les_Garten

Oddometer:
    Hey, I got something to contribute to your project here. If you don't want it, don't take it. I have some, so can spare one. I have a soft spot for S conversions, and it looks like you had a bomb Flag on your key in an earlier pic. PM me where to send it if you would like to use it for your S keyring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wooo, Les, that's too cool! Ya, I would definitely like to use that for my project. PM me at tinkler@ix.netcom.com

Keen eye on the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT. Yes, I'm an aviation nut too. In fact, I have an FAA A&P license, but I never made my living working on airplanes. I did volunteer at the Chino Planes of Fame Museum years ago, helped restore the Northrop Flying Wing, N9M-B.

TINK
  9. Les_Garten

Oddometer:
    I'll drop 'er in the mail then. Enjoy!
  10. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    That is beyond cool, and an extremely nice gesture !
  11. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really want a chrome seat grab rail (called a "bow" in the BMW parts catalog) for my PROJECT-S, like the one that came on the R90S . Chrome will offset the black paint perfectly, IMHO.

I've been looking,with little luck, for a place here in So Cal to chrome my black RT seat grab rail. It seems that chroming anything in CA is just cost prohibitive these days thanks to the ARB. One shop quited my $100, ya, no, I don't think so :nah.

So I thought I'd look it up in the BMW parts fiche just for fun, 52 53 1 232 456 BOW - CHROM. What do ya know, the chrome seat "bow" is just $51 new from BMW. I've got one on order from Irv Sievers BMW. :D

TINK
  12. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No progress on the BMW PROJECT-S next week. Riding the ST1300 to Seattle to visit with my 90 year old mother.

[​IMG]
    TINK
  13. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the road with the ST1300 this week...
    [​IMG]
  14. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick stop for a photo op at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, OR, home of the Spruce Goose.
    [​IMG]
  15. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm home from my 3,000 mile ride to Seattle and back, time to get back to it.

Purchased a new BMW "bow" (hand rail) from Irv Siever BMW. At $51 it was cheaper than having the black one chromed. California ARB (EPA) has made it so that chroming anything is too expensive any more. Too bad.

Had to custom fit the bow to my seat pan. While all the seat pans are the same, this new bow seemed to be built to the wrong design specifications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jug I made to assure screw hole width remained in place while I tweaked the bow arms to fit.
    [​IMG]
  17. Les_Garten

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    What color Black do you have on your bike?

I want to repaint mine Black and am looking for a good one.
  18. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya know Les, you're the second person that has asked me that and I don't have an answer for that question. I'll have to contact my painter and ask him, just for the record.

TINK
  19. Les_Garten

Oddometer:
    It's funny because there is a difference. I really dislike the Harley Vivid Black.

It reflects like a silver or black chrome effect that I really dislike.
  20. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right Les. My 2004 Suzuki Wee Strom DL650 is black with a hint of blue metallic mixed in.