E0 or avgas

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by fastgpfred, Oct 7, 2012.

1. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would really like to buy E0 gas for my 07GSA. It's not available near me. Anyone try avgas? I have 100LL available locally. If 94UL was available I would use in a heartbeat. A pilot friend told me 100LL will burn out the cat in a car/pickup
  2. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    lead in the fuel will coat the catalyst and render it ineffective. It will also coat the O2 sensor and it will stop working as well. Open loop is richer, so you will burn more gas, oil will turn dark faster etc.

Rod
  3. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    100LL has more lead in it than most automotive gas did when leaded fuel was available at the pump. Avgas is formulated for engines that run in very different conditions than motorcycles. Constant high load low rpm large throttle opening. What would be considered lugging for a road vehicle engine.

It will kill the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor. It smells really good both in the raw state and as exhaust, though.

Here, this is what you think you want.
  4. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    QUOTE=Anorak;19769099]
    Here, this is what you think you want.[/QUOTE]
    I think the OP wants an option without ethanol. Street Blaze is still E10.
    If that is the case, search http://pure-gas.org/ or go to a race track. My home track sells Shell 100 which is E-free. It's over $5/ gal though.
  5. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Figured that with the 100LL. Any thoughts on the 94UL?
  6. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually what I'd like is the EPA to be given to Greece or Spain and corn to be in the produce section!
  7. The Evil Twin

Oddometer:
    :roflYou just made my day! You, sir, shall be quoted! :freaky
  8. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Yes he shall!
  9. Anorak

Oddometer:
    My mistake. Wait, high performance gasoline with ethanol? That's unpossible!!!! Everybody knows that blah blah blah ethanol blah blah.
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Fill out your profile and tell us where "near me" is. Maybe one of the inmates will know of a source for 0% ethanol in your area.
  11. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, why do you want E0? You bike should run perfectly well on Premium E10.
  12. The Evil Twin

Oddometer:
    No, no, no. Please don't misunderstand me, mate. I'm not arguing that, just going on the assumption that he wanted ethanol free fuel.
  13. Anorak

Oddometer:
    No, my mistake. I didn't read the whole description of the fuel I linked. I wasn't aiming the snark at you.
  14. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate having anything rammed down my throat, and many of us feel that way about alcohol in gasoline. But gasoline can have its octane boosted. The three most recent boosters have been lead (poisonous), MTBE (carcinogenic) and ethanol (corrosive to older materials and intoxicating ;-) ).

My approach now is to accept it and boost fuel delivery to work better with it (4% more fuel needed plus whatever else you choose to add, 6% in my case). 10% more fuel takes about 20% higher fuel pressure and a shift in the O2 sensors lambda setting from 1 to 0.94. Ethanol works fine. Here's a racing article: Ethanol in Racing.
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    fastgpfred for president.

No wait, fastgpfred for Sec of Energy or Ag Sec.

I don't think Spain or Greece would actually want the EPA. I know I wouldn't. They are waaaaaaaaay too powerful.
  16. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    The WHO has determined that MTBE is NOT a carcinogen. It is still used as a fuel oxygenate in other parts of the world with success. Also, it is made from low cost natural gas, abundant here in the US.

MTBE was finding its way into ground water around leaking fuel tanks and imparting an undesirable taste and odor in groundwater. Instead of mandating the repair of the leaking tanks (a rather simple solution), the EPA mandated ethanol replace MTBE.....and, the rest is history.

BTW, your boxer is not powered by an airplane engine nor can it fly so, don't use AVGAS. Listen to Anorak....he knows.
  17. The Evil Twin

Oddometer:
    All good :freakyI didn't take it as such.
  18. nuke

nuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fly airplanes too. You don't want avgas, at least not 100(green) 100LL (blue) or 80 (red). If you happened upon some 94UL, which is basically avgas without any lead in it, your bike would probably like that stuff. It is mostly alkylate, which is the best fraction from refining gasoline. Burns clean, has a high detonation resistance, has high thermal content.

Trouble is, it hardly exists. I think you can get it in a few places in Europe. But it is rare, rare, rare stuff. You'd have better luck looking for 200 year old cognac.
  19. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting info. Thanks Roger for making me see my issue...
    I hate having anything rammed down my throat, and many of us feel that way about alcohol in gasoline. But gasoline can have its octane boosted. The three most recent boosters have been lead (poisonous), MTBE (carcinogenic) and ethanol (corrosive to older materials and intoxicating ;-) ).

My approach now is to accept it

I haven't accepted it! ( especially when they're pushing E15)
    Concerning Greece & Spain, I'm not sure they would get what a bad deal it would be. Look what else they buy into...just saying...Oh, my apologies to all inmates in Greece & Spain
  20. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    BMW does not recommend two hundred year old cognac in the boxer engine.