Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    You can pump compressed air into the cylinder at TDC and see if the coolant bubbles. This will tell you 2 possible things: 1) your head gasket is bad and you are leaking compression into a coolant passage forcing coolant out of the motor...or 2)...ignore 2 because you would have oil in your coolant if it were the case and I just thought it through :rofl
  2. pinevalley

pinevalley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have converted to a LHRB (Left Hand Rear Brake)...so no clutch for me. However I have heard there are now ways to do this and still maintain both clutch and LHRB.
  3. hillwalker

hillwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to install the radiator fan on Friday but can't find the NAPA temperature switch mentioned in this thread in stock anywhere. Are there any worthy alternatives? Has anyone used a different temperature switch?

Many, many thanks!
  4. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just install it as is. When you do need a lower temp switch, buy it and install. I replaced my switch, in place, and lost no more than 1/2oz of coolant. It took 2 minutes.

I bought one of these 91F 2 pin switches

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1987/bmw/325e/cooling_system/auxiliary_fan_switch.html
  5. pinevalley

pinevalley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought this one (ATM 1435033) from NAPA: http://www.napaonline.com/ShoppingCart/shopping-cart.aspx

Somehow (can't remember) I found it from a BMW... A link for the cross search of the above part number is here: http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/fits/ATM/1435033/

BMW, 1989 325i, 2.5l

Found a bunch at RockAuto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1011698,parttype,4312

Hope this helps...pinevalley
  6. hillwalker

hillwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! :D
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I'm currently going over my bike in preparation for the Tuareg Rally, doing some maintenance and a few upgrades. Almost ready to race... :lol3

[​IMG]

One of the things I wanted to fix are two oil leaks that I have had for a while, one at the valve cover and the other at the cylinder base:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was a bit frustrated that these came up on a low mile bike, but maybe that was unfounded... Now that I have the tank off I noticed a puddle of engine oil in my airbox, the underside of my seat was covered with a film, and there was some on the frame on the back side of the airbox. So I think it's engine oil that ran down the fuel line, and then dripped onto the cylinder. And on the front, it looks like the crankcase vent hose was not seated all the way, and oil had been seeping from there and not the valve cover gasket:

[​IMG]

Has anybody else had this problem? I have been running the oil level at the higher end of the recommended range, maybe this coupled with some hard riding and sustained high speed runs while in supermoto trim led to foaming/misting and getting all this oil through the vent hose?

I'm going to try to solve this by fixing the lower part of the breather hose to the valve cover with a clamp, and by putting a Thumper Racing case vent somewhere inline, have had good luck with them on my EXCs that had the same misting problem, plus gaskets live longer and you make more power.

[​IMG]
  8. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lukas..... :lurk
  9. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    What do you mean the high end of the recommended range. It says to put in 1.4 litres. Not 1.5, not 1.3. But 1.4.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I would say he means the higher level on the sight glass.

When I filled the exact amount by the manual and turned the motor over for a short time and then let it sit, the oil level in the sight glass was at the lower level so I topped it up a little bit at a time until it reached a level half way in between high and low. See page 71 of the manual.
  12. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to love LukasM's work! :clap
    Someday I hope to win the Lottery and just try and keep up with his projects and riding!:D
  13. thebackcountry

thebackcountry BackCountry

Oddometer:
    sweet Nevada riding conditions lately
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    34 hours on the 390, all valves in spec. :clap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I haven't seen a need to remove the gas tank for the check.
    Does it have to be removed for a shim, change?

loving this bike so far.
  15. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a great race prep mechanic (Les Martin) converting my '09 Berg to a full rally bike for the '13 Mexican 1000.

It started as this:
    [​IMG]

I bought it used last year from an inmate in Arizona.

It now looks like this as it's getting ready for the rally build:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full rally fairing and nav tower, with roadbook and ico. Safari tanks front and rear (should have about a 250 mile range). Tanks will be switchable to control which tanks to drain first. Dual FI pumps for redundancy. Full Ackropovic exhaust. M-Power Suspension by Martin Racing (Les). Will be dynoed and remapped for great power while running cool at high speeds. Seat Concepts seat. Complete rewiring of all electricals to ensure its waterproof (and idiot proof - every connector will be slightly different so you can't make any mistakes in making conncections). Rigid LED lights. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting to mention.

Hopefully will be basically complete in about 2 weeks, and ready for testing and dialing in suspension.

Muchas Gracias to Les (and his son Chris) for putting their passion into this effort!
  16. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    That's just awesome Larry!

Looking forward to seeing your progress and results. Dual fuel pumps? Love to hear more info on that.

You going to be riding that beast at the n00b Rally?

I saw the Long Ride you're leading, did exactly that ride during DV Daze but starting in FC, good times. A little training for your upcoming race. :evil
    Might be temped to do it with you on the Husa's as I was on the 250 at the time.

Thanks for sharing!
  17. bikerbilly

bikerbilly throwing a leg over

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Anyone on here tried the Chinese radiators on their 09-12 FE. Specifically the Winner Racing ones that say there 2 row 40mm thick core, cooling capacity doubled.
    I was wondering if they fit ok with the thermo fan which is tight on the fuel tank with the std rads. The std ones are 2 row and just under 40mm thick anyway so are they just pulling our legs on the double capacity...

cheers, Bill..
  18. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I thought maybe I'd give it a shot. My berg is for sale on ebay. Anyone interested in getting a super set up bike for a great deal is welcome to check it out. I'm crazy for selling it as it has been perfect and I have invested so much in it. The item # is: 261169128316
    thanks!
    Kris
  19. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Finn,

The plan is to mount two fuel pumps external from the tank. May have a switch to choose between them, or more likely just the opportunity to switch quick disonnects to change from one to the other.

May have it at the n00b rally - not sure yet, but definitely planning on a long training ride. See you in DV!
  20. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a source for a low rally pipe for the Bergs?