XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fat handlebars are the same size at the grips as standard handlebars. Therefore, you don't need to change the throttle, front brake, or clutch perch. :deal

Spud :beer
  2. Idaho_XR

Idaho_XR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Thumpnred for posting the vid of my get off! I decided to eject early to avoid a 350# smashing and landed in some nice Idaho sage brush and soft wet ground (hardly a scratch). Now to do some bending. Any advice/techniques would be appreciated to get my bike in semi straight condition.:D
  3. ford99_1979

ford99_1979 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Idaho XR, sorry to see your bike twisted up like that. Good thing you are ok.

Very slow to reply. In case you are still interested in seeing how I modified the aluminum tab that the front part of the plastic chain guard attaches to the swing arm. Like I said before it stuck out about 1" from the inside of the swing arm and I cut it in half, drilled to holes in what was left and drilled and tapped the cut off part and stacked it on top of each other.

[​IMG]

Looking down to the aluminum tab on the swing arm. You can see the two M8 bolts that are pointing up. Essentially that chain guard tab is now in about 1/2" closer to the swing arm giving me just enough clearance for the 140/80 tire.
    [​IMG]

Hard to see but there is a out 1/8" clearance with the tire and plastic portion of the chain guard.
    [​IMG]

Have around 100km on the setup and everything looks good so far.
  4. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    One of the PO's of my 94 put a Mikuni Flat slide TM38 on mine. On my last semi long ride I was pleasantly surprised to see that I got a little bit less then 50 mpg. I was pretty easy on the throttle and it was all dirt/pavement roads, no trails. There is one issue that I am gonna have to address soon though. The carb's smaller then the stocker and that means it just barely fits into the airbox boot. CW makes a spacer that will "fill in the gap". It's next on my gotta have list. :evil
  5. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys? I bought this awesome seat-based fuel bottle holder from someone's advice here. It was my frist time out and it was awesome! It took the pressure off of my butt from the very narrow XR seat and made a 3 hour tour at highway speeds easy (on me if not the bike) -- what is it called and who made it? Do you know? (That's a Wolfman Beta bag)

[​IMG]

I have two MSR fuel bottles wrapped in yoga mat in there and it's nice, though a little awkward. It's funny to watch me mount the bike with both the tail bag and the bottles on.

Anyway, please let me know if you remember who the vendor is. Thanks in advance.

PS: I am told there's a whole ADV culture of giving the bird to other inmates and all that sort of stuff... is there an FAQ or primer so that I can be prepared for the expected bahavior of fellow inmates when I meet then here, on the road, and in the wild?
  6. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The ride home.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/npUe2z6VXcY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>
  7. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The first bike did catch me by surprise:eek1. That trail is not as heavily used as is the upper section (that we rode out). I have always wished that people would ride the two in the order that we did... they make a big loop.
  8. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I am thinking a big cheater bar for leverage. Opinions on heat or no heat?
  9. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

pm sent...

B
  10. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, are their official/unofficial understood weight limits for the rear sub-frame? When I load it down, without extra support. What is a safe amount of weight to put on the rear? I'll be riding good and hard, but not technical, much.

If I add the Manracks hog legs how much more weight can I expect to add? 20% more? Double?
  11. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

PM sent
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    37 mpg. The jetting on that bike was way too rich. I re-jetted and got it to around 43-44 mpg.

Is your bike running rich or do you just keep it WFO? :evil

Thanks for the reply. Nice!

When I bought my bike it had a 140 Metzeler Enduro III on it. The edge of the tread was wearing/cutting into the front of the plastic chain guard. I took a knife and cut it the rest of the way off. Don't miss it one bit.
    Would the tire have rubbed on the aluminum bracket or just the plastic guard?
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All tires will clear the chain guard mount. Wide tires will cut in to the chain guard though.
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet Cheeks. Don't know who the vendor is though...

As far as the ADV salute, be careful who you use that on.
    I know of two riders(don't know if they were ADV members or not) who were chased for over thirty miles at speeds reaching 100mph by someone they gave the finger to...that they didn't know. They picked the WRONG guy to give the finger to. Hes a nice guy but you don't want to piss him off. Hes also a BIG mofo... :deal

I'll bet that cured them of giving the salute. :rofl
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I figured.

I'm not too worried about loosing the couple inches of chain guard I cut off...er...the tire cut mostly off. :D
  16. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    32mpg, commuting back and forth to school, short trips mostly in town.
  17. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to go Red:clap Great video, making that L Walk the Walk:clap
  18. gammel

gammel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in California most the motorcycle parks I've been to have one way trails. Not sure if that is a m/c park or just forest land but that's some scarry site.
  19. Mero

Mero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also interested to know this
  20. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I'm guessing I will still need new clamps to mount them to the triple?