About Schmidt

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Padmei, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got Morgan Mercury carb sticks. I've never been able to sync Gus with these, though the RS always ran smoothly once I'd resolved all its issues. Likely not any different in output to your carb balancer set up.
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of making a leakdown tester using an old sparkplug with a compressor fitting welded on . Theory is you put the piston at BDC with the valves closed, pump it up with a few psi and with the carbs and exhaust off listen for leaks..... :evil
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Yes but I reckon it's be bloody hard to pinpoint where the leaks are wouldn't it?
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a speedo replacement for Schmidt as I have taken the trailtech off him & used it for the DRZ to make it road legal.
    I was pretty keen on an Acewell however found these danmoto ones via ebay.

I believe they were NZ $140.00 sourced straight from the factory.Apologies for the bad photos - the winter low sun is to blame:evil.

They arrived after about 8-9 days.

In the box came...

[​IMG]

The unit itself is quite small & tidy. it has 2 mounting studs on the back

[​IMG]

The front tells it all. I'd like to have a fuel gauge but I think the trip meter is fairly accurate.

[​IMG]

The sensor is pretty large & agricultural. It also states on the very well written instructions that using a different sensor could harm the unit so obviously they have come across guys that have wanted a more slender unit. Luckily my Nissin calipers shield the sensor from above.

[​IMG]

I wired it to the rats nest in my headlight & I was away.

[​IMG]

I made a quick single sided mounting arm as I was unsure about its' final location & fitted it on.

[​IMG]

I really like the look of it. i have found it tricky to get a decent photo of it when running as the LEDs are very bright.
    The danmoto is quite unobtrusive & has the simple look I am trying to achieve with Schmidt.

[​IMG]

The gauge itself is quite good. It seems quite good quality & I get the impression that this company may actually care about its products. It is however quite basic. It displays Speed with the big numbers & REVS only in digital dashes around the face. This can be annoying if you wish an accurate engine speed for tuning. I found the revs a little slow to change & a few inaccuracies while running (my trailtech vector used to give fluctuating readings sometimes as well so something is amiss in my coil I think).
    It has a max speed display apparently however I haven't seen it yet. The odo is there & the most important trip meter. The LEDs are excellently bright & catch your eye well.

I miss the clock feature but not the wildly optomistic temp gauge of the trailtech. The buttons are quite small for gloved hands & require a firm direct push.

On the road it is easy to see what speed you've going & as digital speedos go looks quite understated. I could see this speedo fitting into a gas tank setup on a cafe racer build or offset to the side on a custom type bike

I will give an update if anything goes wrong with it.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    You need to moisturise your hands more - you're getting wrinkly...:lol3. What are you going to do with all those spare LEDs now?
  6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    They're laughter lines. You can never have too many LEDs. :D
    I have always wanted a smaller front headlight for Schmidt. I'll keep looking.
    Didn't get a warrant due to rumbly front wheel bearings - my Saturday job - At this rate I'll never get that bloody timing sprocket off Berlina.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Best job ever - going for warrants...:huh
  8. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    You do realise you'll need new bearings now too.
  9. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Outstanding

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hnVldyHRcjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Nice wiring ,can tell your a sparkie :rofl
  11. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Songs okay, the bass sounds a lot like New Order, but why can't the fuckers smile, or even pretend to enjoy themselves.

Lucky that tacho goes to 11000rpm aye:rofl
  12. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    6 days from China.

Not too shabby.
  13. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Front wheel bearing 6005 C3
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Here's my post from when I replaced the bearings on Gus, if that is any use to you. Also contained bearing references, :D
  15. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Damn that would have saved me an hour of searching to find what size. I should've asked you in the first place:D
  16. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Replaced the front wheel bearings today. I couldn't for the life of me get a good enough edge of my 'punch' onto the inside race of the bearing. I ended up welding a blob with the old mig onto the bearing & it came out easily with a few taps.

I froze the new bearings & heated up the hub. Someone in another thread once referred to alloy as the best heat sink known to man. I have to agree. My heat gun was putting out over 200 deg & after about 3-4 mins the inside of the hub was still only around 60deg. I swear the other side of the hub was getting hotter:huh
    Anyway the 1st side went on OK & the second side the bearing half fell into the hole. Buttoned up & all good.
    It's quite amazing really, with the brake calipers not touching the disc the wheel when moved spun around & around for minutes without stopping. I was mesmerised.

I went for a quick test ride & loved that feeling of freedom. Even did some Blitz motorcycles weaving along the road.:ricky
  17. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    "half fell into the hole" doesn't sound optimal :huh
    There's some stuff called bearing retainer we used to use on pumps and hire gear. Also used to centre punch 3 or 4 divots into the alloy for really flogged out holes. It stops the hard bearing wearing away more of the soft alloy :D
    T'was a mint day for a ride today :clap
  18. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Not like Padders to do things by halves...
  19. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Looks like another mint day for riding. Unfortunately we have a house full of kids & Mrs padmei is crook. I really am going to get out for a short ride tho.
    Going down to the supermarket for coffee this morning I looked at the hills & thought it would be a perfect weekend for riding the Heaphy. May have to do a spontaneous mid week trip very soon.

When I said the bearing half fell into the whole really meant I didn't have to use the car jack & 4x2 to seat it.
  20. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    And the salad spoon sat there laughing at you...