Just got my new to me 950 SMR, but its DOA.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by spike747, Jan 7, 2013.

1. spike747

spike747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the unthinkable. I bought a 2007 SMR 950 from a dealership a few provinces over. The deal was fantastic so I took the chance. I dealt with the owner of the dealership and he had said he drove the bike for a week after it was traded in. I believed him.

The bike was delivered tonight and the battery was disconnected. I actually put a new battery in and nothing. No clicking noises, no speedo lights, no head lights, nothing. The bike shows no life at all. I checked the output of the starter relay and 12 volts goes in and comes out with ignition switch turned on. So I know there's battery connection to the starter. All the fuses are good and I measured 12 volts at the ignition fuse. I checked as many connections as I could too. I don't have much time to troubleshoot tonight, but I'll be all over it tomorrow.

One odd thing about this bike is the lack of information on the factory alarm. I went through my owners manual in paper and in PDF. There is absolutely no mention of these fobs or the alarm that I can find. I've done google searches and still can't find any reference to this alarm. I'm wondering if the factory alarm has locked the ECU out for safety reasons since the battery was disconnected. I've tried various button presses on both the KTM fobs I got with the bike and still no life.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this bike is new to me. I've been reading tonnes of stuff on this forum for months so I'm somewhat familiar with this bike.

Thanks in advance.
  2. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Call the dealer you bought it from.

You're welcome.
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the handlebar cutoff switch is in the correct position (damhik :lol3)
  4. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Sounds like a lemon. I'll take it off your hands for, say, $1000? :deal

+1 - Call the stealer and ask them.
  5. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    This. I think we have all clicked the kill switch into the off position without realizing it at one time or another. It is one of the first things I check when experiencing these symptoms and it usually is the case that the switch got flipped mistakenly. (Red switch on the right hand bar):lol3
  6. rellim_63

rellim_63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually spent an hour on the side of the road because of this. I was looking for a tipover switch, that wasnt the problem.
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 except on a Strom. The dash comes up with all these blinky things and error codes.

Which, when translated means "Turn the bloody kill switch to on - idiot". Took me 10 minutes of thinking of everything else to finally notice it.

But since this is about a KTM I would assume it is your free introductory course to KTM ownership.

:hide
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sidestand switch, clutch interlock, kill switch, battery in backwards???
  9. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    First two would still provide lights/cluster power. The third might cause a spark or two before blowing the fuse I'd think.
  10. spike747

spike747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried all the above. And then some. I just can't think of a scenario where absolutely no lights on the bike would come on with the key. Nothing on the speedo comes on. I'm focusing on the alarm right now. Its KTM logoed, but must have been an add on cause its not mentioned in the owners manual. I found the owners manual for the alarm, but it still mentions lights that come on when the battery is disconnected.

The dealership I bought it from is at a loss. They had is running in their shop just before Christmas. I'm going over all the wire harenesses right now to see if something came loose during transport.

Tonight I'd like to see if power is getting to the ECU. Looks like I have to tear apart half the front end to get at it. I guess I'm getting to know the bike very well though. Good thing its winter.
  11. Mr. Canoehead

Oddometer:
    Can you isolate/disconnect the alarm? I would start there, particularly if it doesn't use stock connectors. I have seen some pretty bad wiring hacks for alarms. Does the alarm require a special code if the battery is pulled?

Also, did you check battery voltage with the key on? Maybe it's a dud battery. I have a spare LiPo that should fit in the battery box if you want to try it out. Edit - I see you checked for voltage with Key on.

Sent from my Droid Tablet using Tapatalk
  12. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Rollin 2016 RK and 2 BMW R 1150 GS s

Oddometer:
    put the old battery back in
  13. spike747

spike747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The alarm is a KTM branded alarm. The factory wiring harness is actually built for this alarm. Its definitely NOT a hack job. There is a huge bundle of all black wires going into a single connector on the alarm. That bundle of wires goes into the bikes main wire bundle that goes from under the seat to the front of the bike on the left side. It must have been an option that was bought with the bike from new. I'm certain KTM pre-wired the bike for the alarm for anyone who wanted to add it later. I've pulled the alarm off completely and it still has no life. There are a few things to try in the alarm manual if you disconnect the battery, but they all assume you are getting an LED lit up on the speedo which I don't have.

The bike did not come with a battery. The manager of the bike shop I bought it from never instructed his service guys to pull the battery so he's not sure why it was pulled. However, I bought a new battery at the bike show over the weekend just in case the 950's battery was poor. I bought a Shorai. Its fully charged with a resting voltage of about 14 volts. I'm pretty confident in the battery working OK, but I guess I could pull my FJR battery out and try it also. But 12 volts is 12 volts. Shouldn't matter where it comes from.

I've traced the voltages to various areas.
    - 14 volts at output of starter relay (with key on)
    - 14 volts at ignition fuse output (with key on)
    - 14 volts at regulator (with or without key)
    - Good resistance measurement between battery negative post and regulator negative wire (less then an ohm)

Tonight I need to see if power is getting to the ECU. I've been focusing on the alarm, but unless someone tells me different I gotta believe that turning the key on should do something on the speedo. Even if the bike doesn't start, I would think there should be some life on the speedo. Its gotta be a loose connection that happened during transport.
  14. Mr. Canoehead

Oddometer:
    The thing that makes no sense to me is that the ECU controls the dash, etc but not the lights on most bikes; I'm not a KTM expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). If the lights don't come on when you turn the key, I'd be looking at the main relay, main ground or the ignition switch. Do you have a powerlet on the dash that you can check to determine whether power is getting there?
  15. hellfire76

hellfire76 haphazard adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the bike run when you left the dealership with it?
  16. lambotte

lambotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it common to pull the battery before shipping a bike? For most bikes this is not an easy task. Check the vin and make sure this is the same bike you negotiated for.
  17. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Will it start if you roll it down a hill? Can it swim?
    Lyle
  18. spike747

spike747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found it!!!

Simple, ground wasn't connected. KTMs must have two wires connected to the ground of the battery. I only had one. The regulator was grounded and I figured one of the other wires was grounded to the frame. But it wasn't. The three yellow wires are the full wave rectified signal from the stator and the white and red ones were the 12 volt output. Then there was 2 green ground wires to the battery. But the ground wires never went anywhere else.

Last night I tried to measure continuity with the frame and battery ground, but it wasn't there. I wasn't too alarmed since I wasn't sure if the frame was supposed to be grounded. I guess I've never seen a bike that didn't have a grounded frame, but hey, this is a European bike. Maybe they do things different over there.

I recieved the bike without a battery in it. In the deal with the dealership I asked for a new battery to be installed, but at the last minute I asked for a refund on the battery since I wanted to put a Shorai in instead. They must have thought I didn't want a battery at all cause the bike didn't come with a battery installed. But there must be a wire I'm missing. I can fab up my own, but I don't see any nice threaded frame spot to ground it nicely. I'm busy googling for pics of super motos with their seats off. Geez, nobody take pics of their bikes without seats.

The part that sucks is I tore most of the bike apart trying to get at the ECU. So now I need to put it all back together before I can start it up. I can't wait to hear the thump of that V-twin.

Lesson learned. Its always the simple stuff. Who would have thought this bike would need 2 ground wires.
  19. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
  20. spike747

spike747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O geez, I completely forgot about that thread. I read it all the time. I'm upto page 35. Only a million more to go.

So there is a second gnd wire and it goes under the right side of the tank. I'll look for a threaded spot tonight to put a ground strap. I've called the dealership about it. Managers going to go talk to the guy who pulled the battery to find out what the heck happened. I'm glad it was a simple fix.

I wish mine was that nice and shiny. A bit of sun fade on my plastic. I'll do some research on how to brighten that up, but I suspect chemicals will only shiny it up temporarily.

I would like to replace the speedo lens. It badly scratched and faded. I can see the display OK, but it looks crappy. Is that available as a separate part? It looks like KTM fiche shows the unit as one piece but I'm hoping someone out there sells the plastic lens as a separate part.