The KDX thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gplassm, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Mine's an '03 200, all stock. Great woods bike, incredibly reliable, takes me places that blow my mind. Right now its mounted with ice tires for touring frozen rivers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peace,
    Piston
  2. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    That's a great pic!
  3. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FLOCK THAT!

Your cahoneys are infinitely larger than mine. :rofl
  4. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, given the cold temps, the cahoneys shrink...! :D

"Hung like a bull mosquito!"

(Always wanted to use that line... An old favourite!)
  5. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Another great day for winter riding here in Alberta yesterday. I'm loving how my KDX is running with RB mods. Have a set of KX250 forks ordered for it - hope to get them grafted on next month.
    [​IMG]
  6. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:

Did you get the RB carb and head mod?
  7. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Yes - I did both at the same time. Bike is certainly running stronger than before... Ron does some nice work.
  8. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I started this thread, I feel obligated to report that I sold my (2nd) H-series KDX200 back in December of 2012. I wasn't even trying to sell it! I was approached by someone who knew that I owned a street legal KDX200.
    I replaced it with a 2012 KTM 350 EXC. I hope that the EXC is as reliable, nimble, and fun as the KDX was.
    I will always be a KDX lover. With just a pipe and a reed cage, they are fun, reliable, capable, and affordable, and I would never hesitate to recommend one to a friend.
  9. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Playin at a local offroad park yesterday. So far the bike has been fantastic for me. It is going to be a while before I feel like I need something faster. :D

Also, I get a lot of comments on the KDX when people see it. There seems to be a lot of respect and nostalgia out there for them! :clap

[​IMG]
  10. ed bunavage

ed bunavage Hang in there

Oddometer:
    mine is a 1990 kdx 200 blue frame whithe plastics. I love it:rofl
  11. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Dirt Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I had a 84 200 and a 97 220
    I hate the drum front brake on the 84 but it taught me to ride with momentum. :huh and was rock solid reliable. More reliable than three xrs I rode with. :eek1

The 97 was a fantastic bike. It was way soft for me in the front but the engine was just awesome. 1st gear was so slow the xrs couldn't keep my slow pace up crazy hill climbs and 6th gear topped out at 70. I'd buy another. In fact, I've been looking for a great deal on another. Its the only bike that could pry me away from my xr400.

On more than 1 occasion with both bikes, riders on much bigger more powerful bikes complimented my ability to top hills they got stuck on or to lead the pack because the bike was just so smooth. :huh
  12. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dropped a deposit on my first today. 1997 KDX220R. Titled and plated.

Getting excited.:evil
  13. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:
    It's a good companion bike to the KLR....:deal
  14. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    I learned on a KLR last year! Loved that bike. I'd like to say this past week I finally think I started to get the 2 stroke clutch/throttle under control. I also have to cover the clutch when crossing ruts. For some reason they are really easy to whiskey throttle on when setting up moving to the outside of the beginning of a turn. Got my first harescramble this weekend.
  15. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'll be racing enduros. :p3rry
  16. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    You will have to show me a pic of how the plate is held on. I made a bracket, but lost the plate and bracket somewhere on a trail last week. :puke1
  17. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Whiskey throttle,When I 1st got my kdx it was all snow out so the 1st real thaw I took it out in the backyard,I turned the throttle a quarter inch and almost wheelied it over.I shut the bike off and pushed it to the shed before I killed myself being it was my 1st bike,2 minutes later my mom opened the patio door and started yelling bout the noise and getting the neighbors teed off and then she yelled you better have had a helmet on.:eek1To this day I dont know if she sw me w out the helmet on or not but I was quite:eek1 caught off guard.
    I could swear my kdx had as much snot as my aprilia even tho the Ape has waaay more hp,I also Liked the snail adjusters on the kdx even my Exotic doesnt have them which is a bigg bummer.
  18. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    It was held on by two sheet metal screws.

Took it off for the race yesterday.
    [​IMG]
  19. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Did some trail miles this morning on the 220R. She's getting good and "broke in" at this point. Way easier to start, stalls less often, and handles all I can throw at her. My day was cut short when I realized that I had lost the end-bolt on my barkbuster. That's when I also realized my front wheel bearings are shot. Time for more maintenance.:D

Fun stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Arkansas River overlook at Camp Gruber ORV 35.715764, -95.219246

PS- I already lost one license plate (last weekend) while riding in the Arkansas Ozark Mtns. Gotta make a more robust mounting frame and bolt it to the fender, I guess. Also thinking about welding up a little six-pack rack for the rear. The tool bag pictured above is simply bolted to the fender through 4 holes that were already there.
  20. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Nice, let me know how it goes! I changed out the front wheel bearings this past weekend but haven't had any time to ride trails lately. Always a busy time of the year. If I can get my house listed for sale, I will have more time after work to ride. My goal is to start riding trails after work once a week.