Touratech Shocks

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jj le roux, Apr 30, 2013.

1. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello loutre,
    I follow your review with interest because i've ordered a TTech shock (extrem).
    previously, my Wilbers shock have been sent in guaranteed, after a leak of the hydraulic preload, and I decided to upgrade my suspension for my dualsport use.
    Can you tell us the price of your bought at TTech Germany to compare.
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    A follower yuppie :clap
    No seriously I paid 1044€ for the Highend shock in germany. Cheapest and easiest way for me.
  3. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a yuppie ...me,:huh

the price is close with TTech france.

thanks!
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    well bad news to the followers (:lol3)

I had an "incedent" last night with some robbers. They took my mobile and went into a car, I attached myself to the frame (grabbed it) and they started the car.. well when they reached about 50kmh I fell off and apart from a bloody face, legs and shoulder I broke my wrist. so I won't be able to drive my bike for the next 4-6 weeks (can't even mount the shock :cry) so I'm very sorry for the delay!

thats reminds me, drive ATGATT!! that was at 50kmh, don't want to imagine a motorcycle accident at 70kmh or more. Thank god I had a hiking bag that protected my spine.
  5. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What country are you in? That's insane!!
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    good old France :deal

and you know what the great thing is? I have an oral exam tomorrow at 9 :lol3
    man I'll look bloody sexy :wink:
  7. Pangit

Pangit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine blew up also. I ran it fast over some very bad broken concrete and the piston seal blew oil on the swing arm. As I was away from home and the motorcycle still ran I continued. A couple of weeks later the remote hyd preload hose burst. All in all I am not impressed with Bitubo. A side issue, I am on spring 3 and still no nearer an acceptable static sag. I sent the whole shock back to the dealer to fix the leaks and install a 17Kg spring. I installed the shock yesterday and with all available preload the static sag is 37 millimetres. Yes you are reading correctly. When I get on the motorcycle the sag goes into outer space. Would I buy another Bitubo...... no.
  8. Pangit

Pangit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you will find you need a Torx 55, not 60.
  9. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got lucky. I did the same thing and wound up in traffic with a fractured pelvis as I was smashed into traffic. Of course when I did get them to "crash" I was up and ready to fight. They (yes plural) ran.

Moral of the story, much as I hate to admit it (I was young then) it's often times not worth it to fight so hard for "stuff".
  10. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Well I've had them put on today by a mechanic friend.
    for what it's worth:
    High end version for the 8GS is amazing. The thing is glued to the road now and no more rodeo riding. Amazing. Waiting for my broken hand to heal to try it offroad. Will be posting pics tomorrow :eek:)
  11. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that 1044 euro for the extreme shock ?

They're $2500 down here in arse end of world :)
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Nope I bought the Highend version;
    the Extreme shock is 1274 in germnay
  13. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Suspension mounted on the bike:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still impressed by the improvement.
  14. Pangit

Pangit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on Loutre, feedback feedback please:ear
  15. Pangit

Pangit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Loutre, don't tell me you are in a tent with no internet! :ear
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    :lol3 funny you should say that... Indeed I was for the whole last week. Somewhere in GB's countryside wildcamping :wink: (got kicked out 2 times by the cops, once in the middle of the night :snore... Came up with my crappiest english french accent and spoke "franglais" (duff knows what I'm talking about) and got away with it... Me little innocent rider who doesn't understand english signs :augie. Deciding right know if it's RR material and ADV worthy :evil...

Well anyway: after 6 hours of ferry riding I'm at my parents house with internet (:clap). Update to follow (next two days?!). But let me say this: 1500kms Two-up, loaded, wrong way driving (when will the british understand... :lol3) and some offroading two up. It was night and day compared to stock. My GF and I made a trip last year about the same distance, same conditions with the stock suspension and you feel the difference. I'll ask her about her feedback too but at the beginning she was very sceptical about me spending this amount on a suspension but she could feel the difference and this time her back didn't even hurt (she has bad sciatic and back problems).
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Wow talk about being late...

Very sorry guys but you know how it is, hollidays+good weather+bike is a bad combination :eek:).

Well here we go:

On road:
    What a difference! The bike is now glued to the ground. Even with worn out tires. Can't wait to change them to see the full difference. With the old suspension I had sometimes the feeling to ride on a rodeo horse (especially on belgian roads), no longer that sensation/feeling.

Now I can take corners more quickly and for the first time I'm able to scratch my pegs. I feel more secure and confident now.

Two up on road:
    Well no more bottoming out or rodeo riding, even when fully loaded. If feels normal. Positive point is that the "tuning/setting" is very precice, one click makes a good difference and it is really easy modify it.

Off road:
    Well what a difference too! No more hopping and the bike feels stable now. Since my wrist is still hurting I'm not able to do some hard off road. Should be there in august. But the back roads and forest roads I'm taking are feeling better now, even with 80/20 tires. Feeling that the front is now the bigger problem, but won't change that since I already changed for stiffer springs.
    Don't know what else I can write here to help you guys, just ask me questions, should be easier...

Two up off road:
    Well same thing as before, a lot stiffer, and I never had the feeling that the bike dominated me as before. It felt like losing 50kgs to the bike. The two up offroad was limited, through fields, country and forest roads. Will never push it further two up.

The build quality is great and I love the looks.
    Only thing that I dislike about it, what I knew before, is the wheel turning of the spring. To bring it from 1 to 2 person riding it's a pain in the arse. Managing 30 clicks even with gloves is hard. Hard because of the stiffness of the knob and hard because of the lack of space (last point is especially shitty... IMHO). But once you have set it who cares right :lol3

Hope this helps, if not ask your questions.. but be quick, next week I won't have internet (again)
  18. Pangit

Pangit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loutre,

Thanks for the excellent report. Just what we all needed. Now I believe others will be able to make an informed decision. With regard to the preload adjuster, I kind of guessed that would be the case. If you dont mind sacrificing a bit of aesthetics you might try removing the control knob. I'm betting there is a hexagon shaft beneath the knob and you could then use a regular socket and T bar to adjust.

Hope your wrist gets better soon. Thanks again for your report. :clap
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    My great pleasure!

Yesterday I rode 600kms alone and needed to adjust the suspension again. The knob got a lot better after some WD-40 and some 34°C in the sun :eek:). I think time will tell but otherwise I'll put the old BMW knob on just for the tool under my seat :eek:). The suspension was crap but the tool was a great idea :lol3
  20. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Well... get sure to install a maier or mudsling if you change shocks :lol3 Completely forgot about it until I decided it was time to wash it :eek:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]