F800GS aftermarket exhaust

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bike4Fun, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    How about these: http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1801&product_group_id=7260 ?
  2. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Alrightie then back to exhausts.

Any more feedback on the Holeshot? I'm considering one and was looking for any comments from the owners.
  3. JSkinner

JSkinner SeattleRider

Oddometer:
  4. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, very useful information.

Anyone come across any aftermarket headers that do away with the cat, but fit the BMW aluminium bashplate without modification?

Also, on a related note, is the official Akra exhaust all one piece or is the end can removable (and if so, is the join in the same place)?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at the possibility of switching to a MM balanced pannier system which will involve a new end can and I thought I may as well do the headers at the same time. As the MM balanced end can has a little kinked link pipe included, any aftermarket headers that could be used with it will presumably need to terminate in the same place as the original one.
  5. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    For those of you who need to remove the catalytic converter from your bike, is pollution the problem of others and not you? Are you really going to go to a part of the world where you can't get unleaded fuel?

Decreasing ground clearance to fit a header isn't practical for a bike being used off road.

The very small amount of performance gain vs the cost of the these exhaust systems makes them pointless and the greatest gain is just noise.

What if you spent the same amount of money on good rider training and learn to ride faster/better?
  6. argee

argee freed speaker

Oddometer:
    I put the Beowolf Ti oval stubby on my f8gs, purely to save weight (about 2 kilos), and space, but it does sound rather lovely, and it smoothed out the snatchy throttle response. Economy is the same as far as I can tell.
    All this for a mere £195. Double bonus.:clap
  7. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Environmentally, I'm not really interested. Despite what a number of extremely unscientific reports (which seem to be written by people who don't ride and consequently omit a critical factor through ignorance, in every single one I've seen) say to the contrary, my bike is nowhere near as bad for the environment as an equivalent car would be, even if the car had a cat and the bike didn't. Even if it wasn't, I have to admit, I wouldn't care.

The only related thing that I'm marginally worried about is starting forest/grass fires in summer, which a cat makes far more likely.

Not this year, but during the life of the bike, yes, I probably will.

Unless we're talking concessions of a few mm for several BHP and/or a couple of kilos being shed, I'm inclined to agree. I think I'd jump at the chance if someone made headers that fitted with the BMW aluminium bashplate, though.

It's weight saving and smoother throttle response as much as anything else that I want from new headers. I would rather not have the extra noise and certainly cannot justify the cost for a couple of extra BHP alone. Doesn't seem to affect adventure riders so much, but the power rangers and Hardly crowd seem to buy aftermarket pipes primarily for noise.

I am all for people taking the money for the cost of a new exhaust and spending it on doing advanced training instead. I've even encouraged other people to do so. I, however, have spent vastly more money than a set of headers cost on hundreds of hours of training.
  8. ducpilot

ducpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand are your footpegs?
  9. ducpilot

ducpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    true statement, and I am a huge supporter of formal training but I don't think bikes are a logical choice to begin with. i am a little surprised to find so many Beemer guys interested in increasing noise :huh (I don't see the 800 gs as being a typical Bemmer so maybe I shouldn't be surprised) I am reading this thread because I want more low end torque (yes I have already geared the bike down and yes I have a "real" dirt bike as well)

I don't know how much the gas will affect the Cat in Mexico... i haven't had too many issues with barrel gas is the past. I do think I may have more issues in South America.
  10. xlv

xlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked about a silencer called fuel on ebay, they said it was for the f800 and wouldn´t fit a f650 (twin) aren´t they supposed to be the same??

/Mike
  11. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    We've had some discussion here about the Beowulf exhausts. Has anyone ran into any D.O.T. issues with this exhaust?

I'll be travelling into the US this summer and wanted to check that if pulled over, I could at least point the LEO to something legit stamped on the muffler.

(This is assuming I'm not being an ass and revving the sh!t out of the bike like a squiddy)
  12. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you get a temporary import document. I believe these exempt you from local emission laws in the U.S. Don't know if this has changed or is only available for foreigners (Canadians excluded). There was some information in the "Motorcycle Adventure Handbook". If I can find it I'll look it up.
  13. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, with all the very loud Harleys and all the sportbikes being ridden way too fast, you'd really have to be acting stupid for a cop to start looking for stamps and tags on your equipment. Even if that did happen most are not going to write a foreign rider a ticket for a local equipment infraction unless it's a safety concern.

FYI, no import permit required between Canada and the US.
  14. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna call you on that. Catalytic converters are not about reducing emissions, they're about converting (toxic) carbon monoxide into (non-toxic) carbon dioxide. It has zero effect in reducing or increasing emissions.

The science behind catalytic converters is high-school level, and demonstrable in a laboratory by any literate middle-schooler. I think you've confused two issues here.

If you don't care about your health, I sure as hell care about mine. Running a bike without a cat is the moral equivalent of smoking in a kindergarten or pouring DDT into a creek. If you "might" one day go somewhere that doesn't use unleaded petrol (Christ only knows where; even in Africa and SE Asia the supply of unleaded of one kind or another is universally standard these days), worry about it then. Worst-case, you kill the cat (but you were going to do that anyway?).

In any case, at 4.5L/100km, my bike burns more fuel than does my missus' Ford Fiesta or my neighbour's VW Polo. Therefore, it emits more gas. Cat or no cat, it's emissions are higher than a car six times its size. Now, I'm about as sold on emissions control as you are, but catalytic converters are a different beast and it alarms me you don't seem to know that.
  15. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate, are you talking diesel in the fiesta and polo. If not, that is great economy. I had a toyota echo 1.3 manual and couldn't get below 5.5l/100km.

cheers.
  16. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to spring for an exhaust. So which one should I get?! I'm leaning towards the aluminum Leo Vince....:D

I want louder and deeper. Definitely louder than stock, but not ridiculously loud.
  17. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Check out Beowulf in the UK. Awesome price, top quality build and one hell of a growl (which is tamer if you leave the baffle in). Plus TONS of options for materials and style. Couldn't be happier.
  18. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do! Thanks.:D
  19. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of it....

[​IMG]
  20. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    is that bar pictured there for the stock BMW bags? I've got them too...