IndyCar, just racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by shrineclown, Nov 11, 2011.

1. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    That was a heck of a race!

I guess Honda really did build an Indy engine. :lol3

I don't feel bad for either Sato or Andretti. A leopard can't change its spots. Both of them share the same flaw: a lack of composure and judgment. And it bit them both. Andretti and Sato both went too low, trying to pass in a corner. They forced it. They lost it.

I can't believe how Franchitti came from 33d all the way back to the front. He had bad luck in that pit incident. I wish they'd shown more of him coming back through the field.

I'm not a huge fan of the new car. But goodness, it certainly produced a thrilling show at Indy!
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I have a hard time believing that, just because I can't see why they would. No benefit to doing so.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Me either, not sure how mudflaps got put on an IndyCar, but it was the best race at Indy in many moons.
  4. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    I agree with your take on Marco. His grandfather was arguably the greatest drive ever, and his dad almost as good as Mario. But at least for now, Marco is his own worst enemy.

I'd like nothing more that to see Marco and Graham become dominant drivers in the series.

In a series that seems to be full of guys with class, TK stands above the rest. I really want him to win the 500.
  5. sneakyB

sneakyB Blazin Boss Hog

Oddometer:
    I'm extremly angry that Conway went back on the track with a broken wing right after crashing into 3 pit crew.

First, his car was obviously bent up. The manager said he was planning to take it back into the pits to replace the wing. They KNEW it was broken, yet they were too lazy/scared/irresponsible to replace it right then and there. Yea, it would have taken time, but he would have been SAFE.

Instead, the emotionally charged driver in the physically compromised car went back onto the track and took out one of THE BEST drivers, Will Power in the #12. Inexcusable.

Conway & his manager better be realizing how lucky they are to not have killed someone - between the pit crew and the field of drivers.
  6. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Sato has been a consistent crashing idiot his whole Indy car career. As Scott Dixon said afterwards that he was surprised that Sato lasted as long as he did with the way he was driving.
    I'm sure if I looked back at his short F1 career he probably sucked then too.

All 3 of Franciti's Indy wins were with yellow flags.
  7. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    SneakyB is right about Conway, or at least about the team.

It certainly wasn't his decision to go back out, so the blame is on AJF. The team should have to sit for a couple of races.
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Same as TV, then.
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Some good news. Looks like IndyCar was rewarded for putting a good product on TV.

10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    If IndyCar owners were dogs, they're tear each apart. Unbelievable.
  11. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    Watchatalkinabout, Willis?
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Trying to get Bernard fired. Some think it's Michael Andretti.

Love him or hate him, at least Bernard is giving IndyCar leadership and direction. He's light years better than his predecessor. To want to oust him over the Chevy-Honda turbo decision is short-sighted and acting like a spoiled child.
  13. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "acting like a spoiled child" sounds like Michael.
    A photographer friend was standing with Michael Andretti when he was doing his rookie orientation, another rookie was marveling at the number of fans there, Andretti's response was " them fuckers better not ask for MY autograph".
  14. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    for all the tg hate, the owners were just as culpable for the split. lots of politics and side deals going on.

bernard is learning (some very hard lessons) on the fly. not great, not bad. the money has all moved to nascar, and until they manage to get some big sponsors and lots of eyeballs back it's going to be a struggle.

lots of good drivers, but the rivalries just aren't what they used to be: chevy v ford, unser v andretti, foyt v everyone, lola v march...

the 500 was pretty damn good this year, and the sato thing added to the drama. tk had a great run at the end and got the crowd on it's feet as well.
  15. joef

joef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct on Sato
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Looks like Belle Isle is suffering from Detroit disease, as in deterioration.

I'd be pissed if I was racing on that surface while it peeled up. Dangerous.
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    They've raced there many times before, so I was surprised the track had problems. But it's been 4 years and I guess they have to get it back in shape. A real shame to abandon a race after such a successful Indy 500.

On the political front, Randy Bernard's ferocious response may make balky owners think twice about challenging him.
  18. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate?:ear
  19. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    It's not self-explanatory? He took it public immediately, went on the offensive, put the spotlight on the malcontent and then held a meeting with team owners to discuss their issues.

That's a man who's not going to back down or let himself be back-stabbed. As he said today, "If you back a kitten into a corner he comes out fighting like tiger."

Message received by the owners, I think.
  20. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:

Yeah, I didn't want to see them having issues with a race that was on a major network. I was hoping the series would get a shot in the arm with another good show. Franchitti even made mention of the fact that he hated to see this happen when they were on ABC.