HowTo Change Rubber Grip on Heated Grips of R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by philofax, Aug 21, 2009.

1. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding VEGASGSA's comments about the inner flange, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure some aftermarket grips I've bought in the past came with a thin plastic ring the same diameter as the flange just to avoid this situation. You just put the ring between the rotating throttle grip flange and the fixed control piece and there was no friction/sticking effect.

Maybe you could just locally make such a ring for your Oury's? (Which I think look really nice).
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I remember rings like that from my days working at bike shops and installing grips. I bet you could take a plastic coffee can lid and cut a nice one.
  3. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for those that have done it...figuring it would be a good thing to know.I was looking at aftermarket grip heaters the other day at the local dirt bike shop...

They all have three wires..(Symtec)..the BMW only runs two..if you are soldering them in, which two wires?? Or do you have to search out 2 wire ones..? What about the resistor most seem to use? Can you just leave that out if wiring into factory wires?

Sorry, I'm weak in electrical..if you wanna tear the motor down, no problem..:lol3
  4. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be tackling that this weekend since my throttle heater quit working after the swap. Apparently I nicked the element. I picked up a set of elements from MCSS and noticed the 3 wires. I have a strong electronics background, just haven't had time to ohm it out yet.... will post solution soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  5. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i installed these http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/pr...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Review+Request

two wires. only hassle was connecting the wire. but in hindsight I should've used smaller crimps. will redo it one of these days
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. tommyvdv

Oddometer:
    the wire feeding the heating is connected inside the controls. if you take off the back panel (facing front of bike) you'll see two sockets. the smallest one is the heating. ignore them if you don't need em. take off your grip gently and you'll see two wires coming out of the controls onto the handle. this is connected to a nichrome wire (resistor wire) that spirals around your handle. cheapest option is getting some nichrome wire and replacing it.

or just connect the heating elements to the out coming wire with some crimps.

the wire coming out is short though. so make sure you get it in one go.

I didn't and had to open up the control unit to fiddle with the wiring so that my throttle wouldn't lock up :)

to answer your question: no, you don't need any resistors. no room for them anyway
  8. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí Supporter

Oddometer:
    The element IS the resistor. I ended being able to repair the stock element, so replacing it with the "3 wire" one I purchased was not required. Since the power supplied to the element is controlled by the control switch ( 0 or 00 ) that is where any resistance to lower the voltage would be placed. I would suggest soldering the brown wire ( + lead ) to the wire that i connected to the "high" setting on the replacement element. Test it before you put the grip on. If it's acting flaky, connect both wires from the new element to the positive lead (brown, I think). Then test again.
  9. tommyvdv

Oddometer:
    The wire is cast into a rubbery footing upon exiting the housing for the cable. Probably to avoid rubbing the cable to death by opening and closing the throttle. this housing is a snug fit, probably also to keep the water out.

My wire has had it. So if anyone had broken heaters lying around as garbage it would be great if said person could pull the wire and mail it over :)

[​IMG]
    picture curtousy of someone that put it on the internet
  10. BMW JEEP

BMW JEEP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just aquired a very nice 05 1200GS and was a bit apprehensive about trying to replace the original rubber portion of the OEM heated rubber grips, which are worn smooth and feel too thin to me.

Thanks to all for sharing and showing the various options, experiences and pocedures.

Safe travels and Happy Holidays to all.
    Curt
  11. tommyvdv

Oddometer:
    replacing the wiring on the grip. anyone have an idea of the amps going through the wire from control unit plug to heating wire?

aftermarket heating pads.

have a slight feeling this depends on the heating element but just to be sure.

thicker wire wears out after a while due to rubbing.
  12. Fredrik

Fredrik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the operation yesterday evening.
    The left side came of easy but the right side was a PITA.
  13. n1tr0

n1tr0 Dual Sport rider

Oddometer:
    I know it's an old post, but which Oury grips were you using? I usually use
    The road grips and pair them with MX style grip donuts. The road grips have a bit thicker waffle pattern and a shorter & thicker inner flange.
    Curious as well if they would have fit better with 2 right grips. I've got 1 new set waiting for when my new GS arrives, but they're only $10pt a pair...