I'm starting to get the anti-HD vibe

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DynaSport, Oct 2, 2012.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dry bulk portland in pressured tankers,, they rototill it into the suburface to stabilize the ground before paving.
  2. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Therefore you need to crawl up the road at 5 mph? Close the road.

I do LOVE, however, your comparison of a typical road hog with a 52.75 ton rig. :lol3
  3. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Courtesy and the odd state law that regarding slow moving vehicles. Hint- most if not all states have laws that require vehicles to pull over if they are impeding progress of (typically 3-5) other vehicles, even if those other vehicles are attempting to go slightly faster than Joe GoodCitizen who thinks he is going "the speed limit" according to Joe's (probably mis-calibrated) speedometer.

Oh- it's polite, too.

Oh- it's less stressful for Joe not to have three dozen speed-crazed asshats tailgating him, too.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those decisions were way over my pay grade.

I wasn't compairing a semi to a road hog, just that some folks refuse to wait for any reason.
  5. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't like the traffic, stay out of it
    Riding the dragon is like going to bike week or thunder bech or sturgis, loads of bikes on the road and all caliber of riding skills.
    If someone is not going fast enough to suit you then pass them as soon as you can, thats how it works here in America.
    Common driver courtesy is generally a thing of the past in this country now.
  6. wegimex

wegimex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cars are simply slow all the time and don´t give way most of the time. No matter if it´s a Chevrolet, Mercedes, Chrysler or a Harley Davidson :freaky
  7. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    And more folks refuse to yield for any reason.
  8. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Well yes I have ... and obviously more often than you if you can't manage to pass a slow vehicle on one :1drink
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I think your definition of winding and mine are different...

How does one execute a pass when one cannot see more than a few seconds ahead?

If the road you're talking about has turns with a government-suggested speed of more than about 40-45 kph than our definitions of "winding" differ. :deal

The road I tend to patronize has 2 opportunities for a "safe" (enough visibility to get the pass done on a decently-handling motorcycle) double-yellow pass in 15 miles. And those two opportunities have but about two seconds in which to make that decision until the visibility window closes.
    That's it.

Or there's plenty of pullouts where if a cage just gets 2 wheels on the pullout and lifts off the gas it's enough to pass.
  10. dbuzz

Oddometer:
    Nope ... more like 25-30kph advisories with a few 15s chucked in for good measure. Come over some time and enjoy them :D

If the heroes on this thread who are bitching and moaning about being blocked by slow riders can't execute a pass on a corner then either the blockers are not going as slow as they claim or the would be passers skills aren't what they claim. :wink:

Note: the OP was talking about other bikes ... cars are still easily passed .. trucks maybe not.
  11. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is that you routinely make blind passes with no visibility. Because that's what it would take to get in the other lane in order to make a pass. I have not perfected the art of looking through a mountain yet. :cry
  12. dbuzz

Oddometer:
    Noooo ... where did I say the pass would be blind? I don't out ride my sight lines. I dunno what the problem is here :dunno Both my bikes seem to have more than enough get up and go to squirt by a slowpoke (and one of them is a Harley :rofl). Sometimes I do fail to notice those painted directions on the bitumin :shog:lol3

Isn't it legally allowed there to have two motorcycles in the same lane??
  13. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    ha! We can agree on something.
  14. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    This thread devolved fast.

Why don't y'all just get a measuring tape and a witness and whip em out. Cause arguing about whose roads are more windy and who rides better on a FORUM amounts to the same thing.
  15. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    Yep, and considered EXTREMELY unsafe. No room to maneuver around obstacles/potholes/animals/whatever.

The MSF teaches staggered and not side-by-side riding IIRC.

The only people who do it around here are motor cops and, as adv refers to them, "pirates."
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think dbuzz would care to play that game. :babe
  17. dbuzz

Oddometer:
    er ... if you are overtaking you aint supposed to hang around alongside ...

FWIW if I reckon it's safe >> I do the pass ... if it's dodgy >> I wait. I don't pass in the same lane unless they signal me by and move over enough. It doesn't bother me if I'm slowed down by traffic and if that causes me to get to my destination a minute or less later so what?

I hate staggered formation:puke1 to me it is stupid and dangerous. And I wouldn't ride next to someone unless it was an actual parade eg down main st.
  18. dbuzz

Oddometer:
    I'd watch :rofl
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know,

I think the lunatics and brain dead are about even. Really it's the same disease just different symptoms.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanna borrow a magnifying glass. :evil