Running through canbus without fuse

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Kingsized, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a used 550 and the canbus cable (BMW) didn't have a fuse inline. How power stable are GPS as a whole? I know there is no blanket answer but best guess if I should cut and place a fuse in this cable?

Thanks!
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I think you can put away your worry beads. I have no issues with my Zumo 450 powered through CANbus. 5 years maybe

Oh Yeah, when I was making a power cord for my Zumo 220, the guys at GPScity confirmed I did not need a fuse when going through CANbus, well, from the GPS plug or an accessory outlet
  3. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I powered a Zumo 550 via the BMW CanBus accessory connector for four year, without the inline fuse, with no problems. The fuse is there to protect your GPS from a voltage surge from the bike. The accessory CANBus source is only rated to provide 5 amps. (I now power my Montana 650 via the from CANBus connector.)

Try to keep the Zumo 550 mount dry. There is a seam that allows water to enter the mount, which eventually can cause corrosion and failure of the mount. I never experienced that problem, but you will see online accounts of this.
  4. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I wasn't worried about the Zumo as much as my Electrical system.

Thanks again
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Nope, the computer controls the electrical system on your BMW. There are no fuses. If a system draws more then the proscribed amount it is shut down by the computer.
    The GPS plug and accessory ports shut down if the draw exceeds 5 amps.

I have my GPS powered from an accessory port on the left hand beak. I have a short power cable from the GPS unit which I can unplug easily, so, when I am parked in wonky areas, I just remove the GPS from the bike. It takes about 30 seconds.