r27 or r50/2

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Jan, May 13, 2012.

1. Jan

Jan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about getting a /2 for a while and finally set about finding one.
    I found some overpriced,some complete disasters,some stunning and some quite interesting.
    I have however stumbled upon a mint r27 and now I'm starting to wonder.....

The idea of the /2 was to have a slow yet dependable machine with which i'd do a couple of decent sized trips around the Philippines. (yes I know about oilchanges every 1000km, slingers, contactpoints, shitty tire choice and some of the other issues)

Am I nuts to even think about doing that with 45 year old bikes?
    And anyone know a 6V to 12V thingy to power a gps?

As the r27 is from a friend of a friend the price is rather ok. 2000 dollar more than the r50/2's that still needs assembling of aren't running.

So what would you go for and why? Please keep it between /2's and the r27. I know about /5 and later but they are not on the list (yet).

6"1 250 pounds. (skinny as most here probably. )
  2. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    The single would be an ok ride as they make 17hp, getting to 12 volts may be a problem due to the generator style. The R50 would be a better choice for 12v, as there are factory 12v and several ways to get 12v, one is to mount a /5 or later unit, or MZB, not sure if Omega is adaptable. Parts are more available for the twins and they can be ridden daily without fear. hope this helps.
  3. Jan

Jan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would a 6 to 12 volt switching device work? Or is the 6V stable enough to rig an usb cable to it? It having a battery, I would presume so?

Anyone else has an idea regarding the two bikes?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  4. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where you are at, the R27 is plenty good. The R27 is geared low enough to pull my 250lb self around just fine. There is the MZ-b 12volt system you can put on any pre 1970 BMW. The best place to ask your questions is the slash2 yahoo group or the BMW vintage forum. The R27 has a battery dependent ignition system, the R50 has a magneto ignition that does need a battery to run.

The thing to remember about the R27 is that it scale sized model of a twin. Lots of things do NOT interchange.
  5. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    the R50 has a magneto ignition that does need a battery to run.

Wrong.
    The magneto ignition operates without a battery. The magneto feeds the coil that feeds the plugs. Pop Pop Fizz Fizz

The battery supplies "backup" amps to the lighting/accesory system because the magneto is rpm dependent.

When you come to a stop. the lights dim due to insufficient current... the battery is supposed to compensate for the lack of amperage...

It was a good idea at the time.!
  6. Detroit Steve

Oddometer:
    On the twins:

Generator and battery is for lights etc.

Magneto is for ignition.

On the singles:

Generator and battery is for the lights and ignition.

The twins will run just fine without a battery, although the lights will be dim at low rpm and an R27 will not run without a battery.

Both systems work fine, both sytems have strengths and weaknesses.
  7. Jan

Jan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.

And how to rig a gps on them (original 6v system)?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  8. Detroit Steve

Oddometer:
    That would depend what voltage is needed by the GPS. The cord that plugs a GPS into your car cigarette lighter has a voltage transformer/reducer to step the voltage down from 12v. If it is less than 6 volt, then I am sure somthing could be built with Radio Shack components. Google could be your friend here.:1drink
  9. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know of a gentleman who rides an R27... if memory serves, he rode it from Florida to the MOA National last year.

I have seen it GPS equipped as well.