Sugar Grove IL. to Oak Brook IL. commute

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by ridelife1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ridelife1

ridelife1 juicy

Oddometer:
    Does anyone, or do you know anyone, that makes this commute everyday? Looking for commute times. I may be relocating to the Chicago area for work & would rather live in an area that's somewhat rural. The company is located in Oak Brook. I'm planning on getting in the office between 7:00 & 7:30 so I would be leaving Sugar Grove around 6:30 or so. :ear
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done approximately that commute over the years while there for work for a few days at a time, here and there. I think you're being very liberal allowing an hour. That can be 30 miles of hell. If you catch that 88/355 mess wrong, it will bite you.
  3. MMMOTORCYCLE

MMMOTORCYCLE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that you will be using Rt59...but it will be under construction for the next 2 years. I88 on/off ramp to the tracks. Commuters will be using Freedom,Winfield, Eola and Farnsworth exits and will likely cause back ups/delays. An hour would be minimum at that time of day.

Got a helicopter? :D
  4. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you city workers please live in the city you are going to work in!!! I drove through Sugar Grove yesterday going to Yorkville and the traffic sucked!!!!!!! I can't understand living an hour or more away from work. Fuel costs, time wasted traveling, traffic. What's wrong with living in Oak Brook?? Taxes aren't much cheaper in Sugar Grove?? If you could walk or ride a bicycle to work, think how much you would save.
  5. Highside>Lowside

Highside>Lowside Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer:
    I think you all should work from home.

And stay home when I am out for a joy ride. :norton
  6. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I suppose that about sums up the 'Welcome to Illinois' remarks.
    (understand that we in IL are getting ripped off by our state and local governments (both explicitly by politicians taking cash in envelopes, and those that pass tax increases, some which don't become effective until after the Pol leaves office). And then we have some truly awful roads ---those in disrepair and those that are constructed in a shoddy manner to begin with. The winter abuse (salt piles and plow blade abuse) are compounded by shoddy repairs---which (IMO) is intentonal, as it builds job security for those that get the contracts.....but I digress.

A few pertinent points/observations: Is it perm, S-T contract, or medium term, or other?
    Where in Oak Brook? ---- specifically Oak Brook or Oakbrook Terrace. Some parts are more accessible and less congested than others at certain times of the day. 83 at 22nd is painful. Worse when there's construction, which is a year-around crapshoot. OTOH, 83 and 31st st can be relatively painless.The shopping center-mall has low volume in the early mornings, but high volume from 10AM thru 7 or 8pm---and completely intolerable around the holidays.

Sugar grove has it's pluses, but make no mistake, what was once rural/farm community is now a suburb. The sprawl from Aurora is fast and furious. If you plan a longer stay, S-G will not be the 'uncrowded living' that it seems to be today. Look at a Sat map and you can see the development....and it's goes beyond S-G.

88 is the only real highway access back and forth. Early AM should be a problem most days, but things will happen. And of course, you would need an I-pass to pay the THIEVING TOLLS THAT WILL NEVER GO AWAY. exiting 88 in O-B presents some traffic issues. Midwest road exit from e-b 88 can get backed up. There really isn't a 'next exit' option, so it might force an exit at highland, and then surface streets to your destination. Getting back on 88 to go west is equally goofy--both spots get busy during prime time. Of course, people do it every day, so it's not as if you would be fighting a new battle.

Surface streets all the way --say 56, are probably too slow--all the stop and go ---fighting sunglare in the AM and PM (which apparently half the drivers can't recall ever seeing before in their lives and occupy the lane right in front of you), those yacking on their phones (or worse), and the road conditions would make it a serious challenge even to someone that truly loved cycling.

Again, it can be done. Will it cause you grief. Maybe. Maybe not. No doubt a few test runs would be approp for you.

Disclaimer: If the opportuniity arrives that I can flee this corrupt state, I'm gone.
  7. Spirit_Rider

Spirit_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ++++++++1 Not only corrupt but the scenic parts are far and few between

PS I would not consider moving west of Sandwich due to the urban sprawl.
  8. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:

There are some TREMENDOUS parts in IL......but none within an hour of the west suburbs (unless you consider Sugar Grove and the like West burbs).

The NW corner of IL has some countryside that abs doesn't resemble anything that most people think of in terms of IL landscape, Some really nice areas down south...(but that's 6 hours away).

And STILL, non of that can overcome the bumbling, fiscal incompetency of this state. FOR #$%S sake, the SEC indicted the state on shady muni bonds sales, the state agreed, no penalty was paid and no one was charged. The pension debacle was known (to me, anyway) when it was ONLY underfunded by 60 million dollars...that was maybe 18 mos ago. I watched and read as it climbed to 75 to 90 to 96 and finally broke through a deficit of 100 million dollars. Are the tolls going to pay for that?

I noted that Texas Gov Rick Perry came up here last week and pitched to IL businesses that Texas was much more 'business friendly' in terms of regs and taxes. The presentations were NOT lacking for audiences.

I considered starting a subpage on my Media website, and titling it THE IL Corruption WALL OF SHAME. I would post every arrest and indictment story of IL Politicians and businessman. But I determined that it would require too many updates every week.

End of rant; Back to my U-P bike trip planning.
  9. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sales taxes in Rockford are 8.25% I think they have a kicker sales tax on eating out and booze.
    Sales taxes in Sycamore and DeKalb are 8% with a 2% kicker for booze and eating out so that's 10% also.

I looked up Sugar Grove, sales taxes are 8%.

Check this site out before you go shopping !!!!

http://www.sale-tax.com/Illinois_A
  10. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I don't believe there's sales tax on pork rinds and tenderloins in Iowa.
  11. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl

You can have it. It's ugly down here anyway :lol3. Our .625 sales tax is plenty.

Now do your part and vote those bastards out.
  12. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem is the people that move out of the city's into the rural areas. THEN they want police, fire and city manager's and the like. They want someone to take care of their crap like in the city. Then they vote this crap in and guess what... ITS COSTS MONEY. So then when the school district tells them they need more money, or they will cancel sports. These dumb @ss city people just vote in more taxes ( ITS FOR THE KIDS, HAHAHA). So before long we have the same amount of taxes as the dumb @ss city people had. Oh an yeah then we have cops everywhere doing nothing but giving out speeding tickets. Firemen laying around in fire house eating and watching tv. City inspectors with their hands out for a under the table pay out.

Thanks, just move back to the city please.
  13. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Put the anhydrous hose down, Smudge.
  14. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why???
  15. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Really?
  16. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Sugar Grove to Oak Brook is no big deal now. It truly sucked five years ago when all the highways were ripped up and I was commuting to Libertyville, but I think its a piece of cake now.

We live halfway between Elburn and SG, just north of the tollway.
    I would avoid Sugar Grove. They had a fairly aggressive expansion plan that has collapsed miserably, and they can't even fully staff their fire station or keep a library open full time. And there is no downtown.....the town is divided by route 47 and has a bunch of strip malls. And the housing developments to the south had terrible flooding issues that took 15 years to fix.

You would be in my school district. We have gorgeous new schools, but insufficient students to keep them all open. The middle school we mothballed is nicer than any school I attended as a youth. And living in SG, you would be miles away from the high school, which is a total PITA after awhile.

Send me a PM if I can be any further help. :D
  17. ridelife1

ridelife1 juicy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    The good thing is that the company pays for corporate housing for me for 6 months while I get settled & find a place I want to live. So at least wherever that ends up being I can "test drive" the commutes more than a few times to check things out. Hopefully I will run in to a few of you saps on some midwest function or gathering.
  18. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Corporate housing for six months? Get something near Lisle since they have the best Tilted Kilt franchise in the area. :)
  19. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:

Buy a Prius and go 52 in the left lane on I-88 and you will fit right in for that commute....
  20. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:

Fine, but you know I'm right you just don't like confrontation. Besides only thing that will stop people from living 60 miles from where they work is $5.00 dollar gas. Which we will see in a couple years.

BUY MORE ETHANOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to retire!!!!!!!!!