XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:

I can almost guarantee that you are under sprung if you are using the stock springs. The L is the worst balanced bike I have ridden in stock form. The shock is way over damped and the front is sprung for a 140 lb. guy. Just getting the correct spring rate in the front makes a world of difference.
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK then, if you don't like 6psi tops, then how about 6psi max. :lol3
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

Your experience is 180 from mine. Properly adjusted I find the XRL to have a well balanced and very plush ride over rough terrain. There seems to be plenty of adjustment available. I do find the springs inadequate for big jumps. I am 225 pounds.
  4. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reduce the air gap in the forks to reduce front end dive. Also check your rear spring settings. It could have too much pre load or the stock spring has been replaced with a higher capacity spring. Both of these conditions over load the front suspension and cause the front end to dive and wash out in turns.
  5. LtsGoRyd

LtsGoRyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read from start to about page 2095, and felt a bit possessed to try and catch up to current page, but felt as if I continued, I might need to seek counseling....So I stopped.... I now have a issue with the BRP. I'm seekin advice from the gurus here. It starts great, idles great, runs like a rapped ape for about 20 or so minutes. Then while running down the road at normal operating temp(bout 215 to 225 degrees)(no smoke at any time) it will start to cut out all of the sudden, then motor will die:huh.....Pull clutch and coast to a stop:D. If you try to start up right away, it will not start:cry. If you wait a bit for normal operating temp to drop it will fire up right away, idle no problem. As soon as you get back up to normal operating temp on the road for a few minutes, it does the exact same thing.

Fuel has good flow, it's fresh, carb is clean, good fat spark, Battery good, no frayed wires...I don't know. I recall reading about CDI problems, and even a super nice guy repairing some. Mine CDI has never been replaced, and probably has about 8 to 9K miles on it. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. :freaky
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, you live in Front Royal eh? I'm over off of Rivermont Dr. neighbor! :D If you want to ride together, with a spare parts bike, let me know. I also have a spare CDI to swap in to confrim one way or the other.

I'll send you a PM.
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm betting your CDI unit is failing. You can rap the back of the it with a screwdriver the next time it fails; if the bike starts up you have confirmed the problem. :deal However, I suggest you get a new CDI unit even before you "test" the old one; every XR650L owner should have a spare CDI unit. :deal

Brian, a.k.a. Techforlife, is the "super nice guy" who repairs CDI units. :wink: You might enjoy reading his thread on the subject at the following link. :nod

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/881740-xrl650lnx250650transalp-cdi-repair/

Spud :beer
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cdi,cdi,cdi!!
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I want to know is, why do we continue to call the Ignition Control Module(ICM) a CDI? :lol3

<table id="PartsList" border="0" cellspacing="0" height="40" width="357"><tbody><tr><td style="width:100px;" align="center" valign="top">
    </td> <td class="li" style="width:30px;" align="left" valign="top">002</td> <td class="li" style="width:286px;" align="left" valign="top">MODULE, IGN CONT
    30410-MN9-000 </td> </tr></tbody></table>

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fich...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2004&fveh=132657
  10. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Because if we type ICM The NSA may come knocking looking for that inter continental missle

Plus i hear icm's have rev limiters
  11. LtsGoRyd

LtsGoRyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapThanks for quick response. You guys are on it like stink on, well you know... So I guess my next question is....anybody got a good spare ICM,CDI :evil they wood like to get rid of? Just give a shout. Any and all other suggestions are welcome. keep'm coming I'm all:ear's. joe
  12. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Habit:D Besides were just old XRL motorcycle riders anyway:D Well most of us anyway:lol3 Not technical engineers:huh
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did Fritz get a hold of Kenny61's user account info? :lol3

That's ICBM...Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, not ICM. :D

Make sure that's whats wrong first before you do like I did, buy one then find out that's not the issue...
    If you need one I'll sell you the spare one I have.

Then mine is sure to crap out.
  14. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

I know, but it wouldn't work done correctly:lol3
  15. DaveHunter

DaveHunter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What ended up being the issue?
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    On mine it was a bad connection at the coil
  17. DaveHunter

DaveHunter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for asking. I think i've got a similar prob. Rode the bike around 10 miles or so to buy it just Friday and it ran perfect. Ran it a little bit in the development over the weekend because i wasn't legal. ran great.

Today I get legal and it quit on me a couple of times. Just like you describe. One time it was pretty hard to start, like getting no spark. when "something" changed she fired right off.

Man. Is it damn fun on the back rutted roads. I went thru some holes today that would have killed my street bike. I found a couple dirt road just a few miles from the house i didn't even know were there before.
  18. jarhead251

jarhead251 Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    You stirring the pot?
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  20. DaveHunter

DaveHunter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll look at that also.
    I ordered of of those ICBM things. I figured it wasn't a bad idea to have one around anyway.
    In case Canada attacks.