GPS routes: adventure rides southeast queensland & northern nsw

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by B1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i've been posting routes from our southeast queensland & northern nsw adventure rides on the TAT website here for a while. it seems the TAT site is down now so i've relinked these gps files to another site, hope they work okay.

over the years i've had a lot of messages about all of these, i'm trying to cut down on the amount of time i spend on the keyboard so would much prefer it if you could just read the supplied info then muddle your way through!

Brisbane to Cunninghams Gap loop, one day ride, 50/50 dirt & tar, 380km
    150km longest stretch between fuel stops. Mostly very easy but a few unmaintained roads may be chewed up. Two of the gnarliest sections have bitumen detours shown. Great scenery!
    Find and download the gpx file here.

Brisbane to Barrington Tops NSW loop, 7 day adventure ride, 2300km, mostly dirt
    Longest leg between fuel stops is 260km. About 80% dirt roads. Some tracks need a degree of ability, and may not suit larger bikes. Camping or pub accommodation. Epic ride!

Brisbane to Old Grafton Rd NSW loop, 3 day adventure ride, 952km, mostly dirt
    Three days assumes experienced riders at a good pace. Camp or pub stays at Deepwater and Tabulam. Longest fuel stops about 240km from Deepwater to Jackadgery. Suggest ringing service stations at both towns for opening hours and fuel availability.

Brisbane Mt Mee Monsidale Imbil Conondale loop, 1 day adventure ride, 450km
    Regular fuel stops so standard tanks should be fine. Mostly easy dirt roads but as noted on file some sections of the Bellthorpe and Jimna state forests are slippery when wet.
    "

Brisbane Stanthorpe Lindon - rabbit fence ride, 2 day adventure ride, 670km
    Brisbane to Condamine Gorge then following the rabbit fence from Maryland to Durikai, about 65% dirt and 35% bitumen. Suit smaller adventure bikes, a long stretch north of Stanthorpe has constant jumps formed by erosion barriers. Detours for gnarly bits marked. Karara Hotel is basic but a good overnighter: 18509 Cunningham Highway and phone 07 4667 4187.

Brisbane Tenterfield loop, two day ride, 652km
    Includes quite a few gnarly sections as it does as much dirt as possible. Only 150 km fuel range needed at most as there are plenty of fuel stop. Definitely experienced riders only on larger bikes, or moderate level of experience on mid-sized adventure bikes like DR650s etc. Big two day ride staying at Tenterfield, or very relaxed three day ride staying Tabulam and Stanthorpe.

there are other ride videos too, just go to the youtube channel here.

AngusOz and Chalkie62 like this.
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Brisbane to Tewantin (Rainbow Beach) loop, two day ride, 60/40 dirt & tar,6 450km
    This is the route I planned for the TeamMoto Adventure Rally 2013. Dayboro, Mt Mee State Forest, Conondale National Park, Mapleton State Forest, Tewantin. The return loop is through Mapleton State Forest again then near Maleny to Bellthorpe State Forest then Wamuran Basin.
    This is a great way to get to Rainbow Beach, about 65% bitumen and easy dirt roads and tracks to suit big bikes. Please note parts of Conondale National Park can be slippery and muddy after rain though, and take care over the log bridge if wet! You'll see it in the video.

3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Brisbane Boonah Rathdowney Beaudesert loop, one day ride, 50/50 dirt & tar, 300km

The dirt side of things is mostly easy dirt but definitely some gnarly stuff more suited to 650s and the like. Parts can get boggy and muddy after rain. Easy fuel stops for any sized tank. Can be a good ride for Gold Coast residents too, just pop over via Canungra to Beaudesert.

Brisbane Dayboro Mt Mee Glasshouse Wamuran loop, one day ride, 50/50 dirt & tar, 250km

Easy ride to suit anyone unless perhaps completely new to dirt riding... Mt Mee has some tight corners with loose gravel. Easy fuel stops for any sized tank, stops marked on the gps file. Lunch breaks at Woodford or Wamuran bakeries.

-spam-, DTF and Chalkie62 like this.
  4. felixblack1

felixblack1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks B1
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    2 Day Adventure Ride - Gatton, Blackbutt, Nanango, Belltorpe, Mt Mee 70% dirt, 620km

Mostly easy adventure ride, two detours listed for sections that could be gnarly for the big bikes or inexperienced riders. Out west from Brisbane to Lockyer State Forest, then north to Hampton and Blackbutt and an overnight stay at Nanango. We usually stay at The Palace Hotel, good old fashioned pub with accommodation as low as $17 each if three or more sharing a room, meals from $10.

Next day a bit of slabbing to Kilcoy, then north to get into Conondale State Forest. Watch the occasional red sections of road which get very slippery after rain. As of Aug 2013 the road through to Bellthorpe has been graded and in great condition, but will eventually become a rut fest again no doubt! On to Woodford then back to Brisbane via Mt Mee State Forest.

Video below shows much of this route but we did head north to Imbil at the end instead.

6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Two adventure loops for Gold Coast adventure riders

The gnarlier longer option
    A one day 390km adventure ride for Gold Coast riders. About 50% dirt and includes some gnarlier tracks but most can be bypassed if needed. Chillingham, Mebbin State Forest, Kyogle, Toonumbar State Forest, Woodenbong, Donaldson State Forest, Mt Lindesay Highway to Rathdowney, then climbs the rough Duck Creek Rd to OReillys then Canungra.

PLEASE NOTE: As marked on the gps file, the section in Toonumbar State Forest has gates at each end but no signs saying to keep out or that it is a restricted area, and plenty of room for bikes to pass. We interpret this as a bike-friendly area but bypass by staying on Summerland Way if you have any concerns. Also, as marked there is a damaged bridge at Collins Creek. It is easy to ride across but there are road closed signs so bypass this if you have any concerns.

The easier option
    An easy 240km adventure loop for Gold Coast riders, about 40% dirt roads through Murwullimbah, Border Ranges, Lions Rd, Rathdowney, Beaudesert and Canungra. Keep an eye out for the little dirt roads marked on the gps file that veer off Lions Rd, and the Ugly Gully Rd near Rathdowney. Should suit riders of all levels on any bikes, but note the spot near Beaudesert that can be boggy after rain (marked on the gps file). Find and download the gpx file here.
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Brisbane to Sydney adventure ride loop 2600km 9 days

Fun ride with mostly easy dirt roads. I've marked the sections which could be a bit gnarly on the gps file. Longest stretch for fuel is Oxley Highway to Ebor at 280km,otherwise any standard tank would be fine for the other sections.

Chalkie62 likes this.
  8. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That ride is bucket listed!

I am still working on connecting tracks on TAUT from Adelaide to Melbourne /High country.

There is a gap between the Limestone Coast and Portland that I need time to ride. Then Miss Jane and friends will ride from Daylesford across to the high country. After that there are trails that go way up north of Brisbane, most of them yours I suspect!

In my retirement I plan to ride from Adelaide up to Cairns using TAUT tracks.
  9. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:

I will ride it in the next few weeks if all goes well
  10. Starky

Starky n00b

Oddometer:
    Did the Cunningham gap ride on my new KLR last Sunday, was awesome!!!
    What GPS system do you guys use?
    Cheers,
    Michael
  11. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    cool, i could just stick that 360 degree camera on the helmet. :clap

el cheapo setup using the garmin car gps units. i've only used the 1450 to date and been very happy with it. put up a thread about it here.

but if you''ve got cash to burn you can fork over $500 or more for the their bike-specific ones like the zumo.
  13. KLRogers

KLRogers Diddley Squat 401

Oddometer:
    Hey B1, great vids and certainly a lot of areas I'm interested in.
    Only recently bought a KLR650, after straddling trials bikes for too many years than I care to count, and being old school I was wondering if you had any hard copy map alternatives to your GPS files. I live at Canungra so am ideally placed to hit the Hinterland on weekends and am always looking for out of the way locales to test my trials skills on these new heavy weights.
    Anyway, keep your feet up, as we say, and see you round......maybe.
    Cheers.
    :deal
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i try to keep the feet up but gravity seems to disagree with me frequently, especially in trials. :lol3 i'll give it another shot at our club meet this sunday. wanna come on out? long way from canungra though, and you have so much good riding there already.

i'm trying to balance and do a few things on the DR650, managed to bunny hop over a ditch a while back although it looked more like an obese hippo hop. :D
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  15. KLRogers

Oddometer:
    So where is your base of operations then?
    I managed to find 75% of your Beaudesert/Boonah loop thanks to the road references you put on your video so, with a few additions of my own, I'm going to give it a go on Sunday. I'll troll through your other vids to do the same over the next few weeks. In fact we have a trial next weekend out Maroon Dam way which is one area I'm super keen to explore.
    Ian
  16. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    base of operations? a dark dank dungeon in a secret location. :lol3 can you do mid-week rides? always keen to jump on the DR650 during the week but keep the weekends reserved for trials and cross training on the dirt bike as a rule.
  17. KLRogers

Oddometer:
    No, I'm afraid I'm chained to a desk 5 days a week. Gives you a great appreciation of two days off and now I've got the KLR I make full use of them both. My trials club holds an event every three to four weeks which definitely has the priority over everything else. You sound like you indulge in a bit of feet up. Do you have a bike, are you in a club or do you just make it up as you go along?
    Thanks to one of your videos and me finding some of the roads you highlighted I have a big loop out to Rosevale and back through Boonah/Rathdowney planned for Sunday, weather permitting. I'll let you know what I thought but looks good on paper!
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    that's a nice loop, you can't avoid some bitumen but lots of great little dirt roads through there.

i got into trials about a year ago with western districts, i've done a fair bit of filming of the upper grade guys in the club and done some training vids here. the poor old DR has been neglected of late due to the seatless bike....
  19. KLRogers

Oddometer:
    I hear you and yes a bit too much black top, especially between Yamanto and Aratula. Good ride just the same. Love the back roads behind Boonah though!
    Yes, I spoke to the guy you bought your Beta 4T off yesterday who helped me put 1 and 1 together on who you were. You may want to think twice about continuing to communicate with me anymore as I'm the devil incarnate who runs that unaffiliated heathen club that your two WDTC Commanders in Chiefs have a perplexing abject hatred of.
    That aside and regardless, congrats to you for doing what you have been to raise our under promoted sports profile of late. There is no disputing that it takes fresh blood with new ideas to push some of the old establishment guards thinking to another level. I should know! This is certainly a topic worthy of further discussion but not for this forum.
    I finally and belatedly visited the TAT site on Friday and it was like finding the holy grail of adventure riding. It will definitely be my number one reference site from here on in.
    All the best and if you can ever get a leave pass from the powers that be why not give SQTA a go one weekend, you may be pleasantly surprised. We're out at Maroon Dam this weekend if interested.
  20. party turtle

party turtle n00b

Oddometer:
    i can get these to work? any help please guys, really keen to do a few!, awesome work B1