Nuvi Threadfeast - If it's Nuvi for Autos - it goes here

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by SamTheEagle, Sep 13, 2005.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    with the el cheapo plastic bag option to keep water and dust out of the 1450t, i've started using a rubber band around the left (and right) edge of the gps. this stops the bag flapping around and also runs across the connector in the rear and prevents excessive movement and wear on the input there. or i'm hoping it does...
  2. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Once I missed a viapoint (I took a detour) and then turned around to head back to the next viapoint on the route. I didn't go over the original viapoint I missed, so the nuvi got fixated on that one missed viapoint.

It didnt know that I was back on the route. Kind of weird? It kept recalculating to get me back to the missed viapoint. Let it go!! :)
    Has anyone seen this and how do I prevent it? I think the obvious thing is to stop the route and restart it, but still.....
  3. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Have a Nuvi 255wt, my car unit Im using on a dirt bike I rented down here in Nicaragua. I plan to ride a new dirt road going to the Carribean and would like to record the track into the GPS if possible. Anyone know if this model is capable?

Also, I never quite learned how to imput latitude/longitude on this model, if anyone can help with that.

RR to follow....
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    if it's like all the other nuvis you can't import a track that will show on the screen. the quick way to find out is send a track from mapsource to the nuvi then see if it shows up. i did see a thread somewhere where a guy suggested converting the track to a route which would work...

if you have the same menu as the typical nuvi, entering coordinates is just clicking on "where to" then "coordinates".

talking of nuvis, gotta say i've been impressed with the old 1450t that's shown routes and recorded the tracklog for 7000 miles of adventure and dirt rides and even some mx tracks. the only recent issue (i mentioned months back) was the power supply has been intermittent over rough terrain as the slot in the back of the garmin has got a bit loose.

but fixed it by just using a rubberband to hold the power cord firmly against the back of the garmin. it's worked fine, and probably should have been doing that from the start instead of letting the cord flap around in the gnarly stuff.
  5. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool - the coordinates sound simple enough, thanks for that.
    I've used a GPS for a few years now, but only using the most basic functions, so I am relly kind of a noob. I may not be asking my first question properly - Basically, this is a new dirt road I will be riding and Im sure it is not really on any online map yet. I was wondering if it was possible to record the track into the Nuvi in real time, maybe by using a series of coordinates every couple of miles or something like that?

Thanks for any advice.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    record it in real time? if you mean just ride out there and try it, here is how to get your gps recording a tracklog you can download to your computer later (assuming your menu is the same as the 1490t and you have the same functionality).

start your nuvi
    click on 'view map'
    click on 'speed' in the lower right corner (brings up the speedo which is handy if not following route)
    press on the speedo dial for a few seconds
    click on 'diagnostic logging'
    click on 'start recording'
    click on 'gpx'
    click on 'size' and bump the memory for the track log up to maximum size
    then backtrack to the normal menu.

if you want your tracklog to be visible as a light blue line on the garmin while you are riding:
    click on 'tools' then 'settings' then 'map' then 'trip log' and choose show.

when you want to transfer the recorded tracklog to your computer, get mapsource running on your pc and connect the gps. when transferring data to your pc, just select tracklog then save the resulting file to your pc.

if you plan on doing a lot of adventure and dirt riding, then getting the garmin topo maps for your region will help a lot as they usually show major dirt roads and hopefully some of the older tracks too.

even if you just stick with the road maps for the time being, a handy way to explore new areas is using bike route toaster.

if you choose the hybrid view, you can use existing road maps as well as satellite images to plot out routes in very remote areas by just following visible tracks (at least until the tree cover gets too thick). often the detail is good enough to spot the shadow of fences and gates so can see possible points where you might hit a locked gate etc. probably not great resolution in nicaragua though.

plan your route in bike route toaster then save it as a gpx file to your pc. open it in mapsource and transfer it to your garmin. then go 'tools', 'my data' and 'import routes'.

select the routes you want to use then go 'import'.

backtrack then go 'tools' and 'routes' and choose the route you want. scroll down to 'recalculate' and choose 'offroad' then press 'okay' and 'save'. press 'go' and off you go.... this process ensures your garmin will just follow the route you planned and not try to auto calculate using its road maps.

steep learning curve, but this is all you need to explore your heart out, have fun.

the bad news? it looks like the 255 won't allow you load routes though. if you find your model on the garmin site and go to the specs page, under "routes" it shows zero, whereas the nuvi models that will load preplanned routes usually show "10" there, like the 1450t and the 1490t i've been using.

you can store up to a thousand waypoints but only as a single point. bummer if that's the case.
  7. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow B1...that is exactly the kind of tutorial I needed, thanks for that.

So my main objective as far as the GPS is to do what you first wrote, which is to record the track as I am riding along, as per your instructions.

Although it seems as though the 255 wont accept the bike route program, will I still be able to record the track into the GPS as Im riding, and then download it into Mapsource for others to see? Or is that what is considered loading a route ( meaning no-can-do on this model)?
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i don't know as i've never used a 255 before, i'd suggest just following all the steps above and then see if it works. recording a tracklog (and downloading it via mapsource) is a completely different thing to creating a route on your pc with mapsource (or bike toaster) and uploading it to your gps. the tracklog just shows as a thin light blue line where you have been when the gps is turned on. the actual route (which your model doesn't seem to be allowed to upload) shows up as a thick pink line.

if you don't have mapsource already, go here for the cheapest version. :D
  9. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok B1 - Ill follow the above steps as best as I can and let you know how it works out. :clap
  10. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some well placed duct tape made mine solid no matter how rugged the terrain.
  11. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. dirtspaz

dirtspaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a GarminNuvi 2595 and I can't figure out how to get a custom route GPX data file into the 2595. I have tried to do it via Tyre, tried it by directly placing the GPX file into the GPX folder, and then tried opening the GPX file into Gramins Base Camp software and then uploading it into the 2595. I don't think any of these have worked. I can't find the custom route in the 2595. where are these files located in the 2595 and how do you find them when using the 2595? I assumed they would be in the "trip planning" area but none of them show up. it shouldn't be this difficult.:cry

thanks for the help
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think there are some older nuvis that will do it,but i have found exactly the same problem with a recently aquired 2350.I though i would be allright as the garmin specs say 100 routes.The only upside i have found is you can send as may way points from google maps straight to the gps,(via little garmin plug in)it shows up in favourites.Maybe that would be a way to then plot a route on the gps itself with the trip planner.I beleive the Nuvi 1490 does allow routes to be uploaded.You can get the tracks ofthe 2350(where you have been.They are numbered by date and time)
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried sending a route to the sd card instead of the "internal memory'?I havent got a suitable card here to try.
  15. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am searchin for info on our nuvi issues and i came across this article!

scroll down a wee bit there is an artivcel about track logs and a nuvi 255w
  16. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Does anyone have experiences with Garmin Nuvi 2455 GPS? I have found one on sale I am thinking of getting it. We already have a 2460LT at home but at the high cost, I don't want to use it on my motorcycle. Any other possibly cheap options I should look at? ride both on and off road (mostly fire roads) and would like to be able to make a route in Google earth and transfer it to GPS. I also looked at Nuvi 40, but I found out it doesn't support pre-made routs.

Thanks!
  17. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am only new to this but I don't think the 2455 will do what you want either.In fact I think there is a post in this thread saying exactly that.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I use a Nuvi for road trips but wouldn't consider it for offroad or especially fire roads. This is what my Delorme PN-60 looks like one day into a four day dual sport ride...

[​IMG]

Since it's waterproof, I can just hose it off or run it under the tap at night. It comes with Delorme Topo software that works well for planning rides and can easily import Google maps/earth files.
  19. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my DeLorme GPS units... I have a PN-40 and a PN-60w with SPOT.

But...

Both units have failed repeatedly, and as always, at the worst possible times. I have contacted DeLorme a number of times and have asked over and over to have both units opened and checked out (at my expense), but getting them to agree to do this has not been successful.

I've gone through the TS procedures over and over, and the units continue to exhibit the same faults again and again.

The PN-40 turns on, and simply hangs at the splash screen. It won't respond to button presses, so I have to pull the batteries. After a few of these cycles, it'll proceed to the sat search page, and never do anything else.

The 60w simply shuts down randomly. When I re-power, it may or may not work again, and usually won't re-pair with the SPOT. Every thing gets shut down, and when it's all said and done, I lose 30 minutes of riding, and 30 miles down the road, it happens again...

I'm ready for a new unit, but want something that works the same way the DeLorme does, and with the same features.

DeLorme has a great mapping software package that includes maps of all of North America, which it includes with the unit, unlike Garmin. And, contrary to what most people say, the mapping software is easy and logical to use.

So, to Delorme or not to Delorme...

Anyone have advice or suggestions for a rugged GPS that doesn't cost a bunch to put decent maps on, and that includes good off highway routing, blah blah blah?

Help a brotha from anotha mutha out!
  20. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I am on a tight budged and can't afford a motorcycle dedicated GPS. I already have a dust and splash proof bag for it. Just looking for a cheap GPS that I can transfer routes to it and has 4.3" screen.