Am I gonna make a big mistake

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by fyr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Who here has sold their airhead to only regret it later?
    I am on that cusp.
    I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
    aargh.
  2. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can raise my hand five or six times on that. I regret selling almost every R80G/S that rolled into Taj Garage. I sold the last one about 3 years ago.

Das Beast is an ample replacement. I'm static now with an R60/2, R100RS, and Das Beast. I have also drawn the line in the sand. Somebody will get these when I am too old or too senile to ride 'em.
  3. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't do it for one simple reason. I had a sidecar rig last year. Yes it was fun, yes my dog loved it. Yes it was better that a car. I still missed the two wheels. Give yourself one season and see. You may sell the sidecar rig....I did.

edit: I see it's a gear up. You WILL miss the R100. a gear up is a tractor. It's fun, but not a type of bike that is run to ride any distance. They require a lot of tinkering, so figure that into your time. Sometimes it's nice to just go for a ride.
  4. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck with your decision.
  5. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a bud with a Burgman 400 wanting a real bike, no insult intended I assure you. It is more than capable, it just does not have the right "shizz" :D

I been scoping some bikes for him. It is hell. I would not want to search for a bike, and I sure as hell would not sell my R75 for any amount of hookers in the world.

I'm just saying :deal
  6. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Dump your R100S for a Ural sidecar rig? Wow... Thats a hard one...

I wouldnt do it until I established that I had become a die-hard sidecar guy. Try owning both bikes for a year or so and see how you feel after some real miles.

PS: I've been thinking about a sidecar to take the grandson riding in but I wouldn't sell my R100 unless I absolutely had to.
  7. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Well, I can say if I sold EITHER of mine I would hate myself for it very shortly later....I vote don't. Those things you mentioned are excuses, not reasons. DON'T do it!!!!!!!!!
  8. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I thought so. I sometimes need to come here and get some encouragment. Such is life with the non motorcycle crowd at home.
    Sometimes practicality has to be trumped by matters of the heart and focus is sometimes lost.
    Good advice here in OS.
    Add has been taken down. R stays home. Minivan purchase on hold for Long Time!:evil
  9. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm parting with my (owned since the early 90's) R75/5 on Friday...at least I'm dragging home another solo BMW as part of the deal. But I'm not sure how much I will miss my "old friend" of 18 years. I know the thing inside - out so now will have to get acquainted with a strange bike.
    The trade-in BMW will likely be sold too if my wife doesn't claim it. Damned thing's blue and she loves blue.:lol3

I'm pretty hooked on the sidecar scene but nothing like jumping on a solo bike and racking off a 600 mile weekend ride! The sidecar brings forth more dedication and requires a bit more time. :D
  10. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    That said an more. My sons will love the hack more when they are older. However I dont have as much time vested in my R as you did. Im going to fire her up tomorrow and wake her from her wintersleep and give my burg a wee R therapy (and me too!):freaky

11. mykill

mykill odd

Oddometer:
    Traitor!!!
    Buy some good lube cuz you're gonna need it when Eric's gets through with you! That's when you'll miss the big pig.
  12. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wife bought me a sidecar rig 20 years ago,love it! but I never sold my solo bikes:clap
  13. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  14. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Don't sell the solo airhead. I've let a few of them go and bought different versions back again a few months later, only to have to go through the entire "restoration" process again and fix all the crazy sh#t that other people do to their machines.

A sidecar rig is awesome, I love mine with the kids, but you'll regret selling the R100. Keep both, enjoy both, don't worry that it sits a bit more in the garage. It's only money, and really not very much of it either. Airheads provide a lot more enjoyment than their dollar value these days.

dc
  15. Grider Pirate

Grider Pirate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm GOING to sell my GSPD. I love it as an urban assault vehicle, but it's such a pig in the dirt that it annoys me. I will regret it only because my wife and I fit better on it than on the RS.
    OTOH, I've found that any time I've sold a bike because I needed the money, I've regretted it. The money lasts a short time, and the bike is gone forever.
  16. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Cool. I do know this feeling...Money is a short time hit.
  17. zenben

zenben all roads are one

Oddometer:
    I don't envy such decisions. Nice old stuff is getting really hard to find. I've happily paid too much to replace better bikes that I might earlier have kept.
    OTOH; Less is more, and hoarding is an occupation unto itself... like the snake devouring its tail.
    We get a limited time to ride. Hesitation reduces the miles further.
  18. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, I know... I've already gone through half a gallon of vaseline and I've barely logged any miles. I'm thinking long and hard about this one, trying to decide if it's really a wise choice.

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
    Boy ain't that the truth. And I have to say, I do still enjoy it in the dirt - just not as much as the KTM!
  19. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Here's the deal, at least here it is for me.

If I divest myself of my airheads, (we've got three, a R80ST, R100GS and a R80)

I don't think I would ever pick one up again.

The prices of a good used bike have surpassed my internal value vs bike ratio.

A $2,000 airhead is one thing a $5,000 airhead is a whole other thing.

Then adding to the mix is the great unknown of if you will even like the hack.

I'd say keep the airhead for a year after getting the hack,
    If the airheads still languishing, then sell it.
  20. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    fyr, you'll be sorry. Sold a nice R100RT to buy an oilhead...been regreting it since. Years go by and I've got a few bikes with one being an 06 Patrol and it's a keeper. Space is an issue so I'd like to get the herd down to just the Ural and one two wheeler and now finding my self looking at worse condtion airheads for more money. You'll have enough blonde moments in life anyway no need to have selling your airhead be one of them.