L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    I went and got my Randsburg area permit last Sunday. Basically all you have to do is go into the Jawbone BLM station, fill out name, address, and sign the permit where it says that you agree to operate motorized vehicles only on posted legal designated routes that are on the map. The permit has a map on the reverse side. The permit is free and it is valid until phase 2 of the program starts which will include a fee and more of an educational requirement. The person working at the BLM station said that the phase 2 is probably at least 6 months or more away and that they were thinking about having a test that you would need to pass to get the permit.
    All persons operating a motorvehicle need the permit, both street legal and OHV.

Link to map of the Permit area: http://www.jawbone.org/foj/images/rmma/rmma_routes_woR5&50.pdf

I did a little bit of riding in the Rand Area. Looks to be a pretty good area to ride in.
  2. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Joel, I love your ride report so far. There are some great pictures in there. I never knew there was such nice terrain in Arizona. When are you going to get to the night riding pictures? After all, this was the 'Howlin' at the moon' ride on a full moon weekend.
  3. rinconrider

rinconrider Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer:
    hmmm this sounds familiar :rofl

but seriously good to see vern out of surgery and joel and biggiE visiting. cedars is top notch i have been there many many times.

even those of us not posting much right now are thinking of and rooting for you right now vern. hang in there and get your rest... there will be plenty of time to ride on the other side of this.

wes
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    A couple more from our Frazier Park loop...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photos by WHYNOWTHEN
  5. schmo

schmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were these pics from this last weekend? I didn't know they had snow up there already.
  6. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vern. Good luck bro
  7. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yep...Sat morning.
  8. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what flavor?
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vern....

get your ass back in bed you crazy biatch....:lol3

oh yeah my A-stars Neck brace showed today....

Seriously guys...5 minutes to fart around with and then you don't know it is there....it is 40% smaller than a Leatt so for me it was easy to adjust to....

Fits perfect with my body armor and still sits on top of the Jersey....too easy...

worth every penny...
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Still no shirt?
  12. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size did you get?
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

large.....Carbon fiber...weighs nothing....
  14. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave got a small alpine stars..... panzy.
  15. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Vern,

You're looking good !

My surgeon friend told me today he broke his neck vertebrae skiing at Mammoth a number of years ago. I never knew, since he worked many years after the accident. He said your prognosis is very good :clapto get back to cycling, and surfing :evil

Jim

16. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    I have the regular for few weeks allready ,the are nice , better the the leatt for the single track i ride .Both o theme are good .
  17. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    I bought my Leatt in '07, I can't speak to other brands of neck braces. My notes:
    • Easy to assemble, size and fit
    • Very sturdy, as it should be
    • Instructions say it should be worn so as to rest on your body, not on top of body armor. My "layering" order is:
      • Undershirt
      • Leatt
      • Armor, Acerbis Koerta
      • Jersey
      • Jacket, if I'm wearing one.
    • Comfort while riding is a non-issue. I don't notice it at all. The only time I feel it is if I'm on a steep ass downhill and therefore looking up to look down, so to speak. I "might" feel the back of the helmet touch the Leatt, but I'm usually pretty busy with other stuff at that point to really pay attention to it :D.
    • The only issues involved with wearing the brace are with getting the body armor and jersey to work with it, and riding in the cold:
      • The Koerta doesn't play very well with it so I'm looking at this Rockgardn suit per Nowhat's recommendation.
      • And I've cut off or opened up the collars on a couple jerseys so I can fit it around the brace. Getting dressed can be a pain but that's what mirrors, wives, and riding partners are for :deal
      • Finally, I'm riding with this Troy Lee Designs jacket, when I need a jacket. The removable collar can be worn around your neck for wind protection, though I'll probably pick up a neck warmer from REI, I have balaclava with a windstopper dealio around the neck area, etc. In other words, there are solutions and I've seen guys who've taken jackets to tailors to have them modified to accommodate the Leatt. BTW, I have a large TLD jacket available, as I've decided to go with the medium .
    Bottomline, it's pretty hard to put a price on not breaking your neck.

Issues like comfort (non-issue, in my experience), the pain in the ass factor of working body armor, jersey's and jackets around the brace are non-issues as well, in the big picture.
  18. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:

Mike, by 40% smaller, are you referring to the height above the shoulders?

The Leatt does not fit me too well, due to my short neck. For those of you that are planning on buying these I recommend trying them on with a helmet. One of my helmets barely works with the brace, but the others ride right on top of it and tend to stretch my neck.
  19. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Alpine Stars pressure suit but am bummed it doens't work with neck braces. In fact, most pressure suits don't - RockGardn withstanding.
  20. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    even with alpinestar and leatt on, the bike won't stay upright....:lol3

i have decent result with that combo, main reason why i sold the pressure suit.

[​IMG]

this set up is better
    [​IMG]