Smokey Mountains trip, pls help

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Lostnluvit, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lostnluvit

Lostnluvit n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new to the dual sport / adv riding scene after 30 years of mostly riding asphalt. After assembling a DR650 I'm ready for some fun in the woods. I've checked out what looks like some good riding but I would like to ask if anyone could tell me if the forest roads and other popular roads close during the winter. I plan to be in the Robbinsville NC area the 2nd week of March. Also would anyone have a suggestion for a good place to stay for a week in that area? Thank you
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try the Phillips Motel http://www.phillipsmotelonline.com/ in Robbinsville. The Forest service roads stay open during the winter unless closed due to rain washouts or maintenence. However, you may encounter snow and/or ice in March, or you may have sunny, warm weather. There are plenty of nice forest service roads in the area. Here is an old ride report of mine, some of it was near Robbinsville and some near Maggie Valley: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512682
  3. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    Weather is really fickle in March but if you're coming then you're coming. I just got back from riding today cuz it was 60 degrees. You never know anymore what the weather will hold in the winter and early spring these days. I ride around Robbinsville frequently as there are some really great roads around there and its pretty convenient to my cabins. Be sure to give me a shout when you're up. I may not be able to get away and ride as I'll be busy getting everything ready to reopen March 15th but I can at least point you in the right direction.
  4. Lostnluvit

Lostnluvit n00b

Oddometer:
    That is just the info I was looking for thank you.
  5. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    You can pretty much ride dirt most of the way to Tellico Plains. Stop in Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters while you are there and have lunch at the Tellico Grains Bakery.
  6. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    . Also would anyone have a suggestion for a good place to stay for a week in that area? Thank you[/QUOTE]

You can always rent a cabin from JOE!
  7. brownie2

brownie2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd call ahead about those gates. TN used to keep lots of roads open but they have started lots of seasonal closures in the last couple of years. Winter before last, I was greated by lots of brand new gates all around the Tellico area and it was dry weather.
    NC, GA, and TN FS roads usually close from new years to mid or end of March.
  8. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer: