BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    This looks factory. How well is it holding up now? Probably no problems.
  2. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    My first set of PR3's lasted 10,500 miles, and I didn't baby them at all - multiple days of 100+ degrees across Texas and Arizona at 80 MPH, canyon carving in California, Baja and mainland Mexico, and several weekends in the NC mountains, usually while loaded up with full luggage. If I hadn't had an inspection due, I would have run them another 1,000 or 1,500 miles.

Love 'em. Just had my second set mounted. Won't buy anything else.
  3. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this same issue to Russell when I ordered my Day-Long. They said they would set up the pillion seat with a slight backwards slant, that they had heard of this many times before. They did and it works perfect!
  4. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am currently working on the same problem. On the BWM Sport Touring site (http://www.bmwrt.com) under the FAQ there is a section called "Shimming the Saddle" to address this problem. I'm trying to shim my R1150RT saddle soon as I have a long trip ahead.:D

http://www.bmwrt.com/faq/shim_seat.htm

Jon
  5. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    I have some pic's somewhere of my 1/8" thick aluminum bar shims fix from Home Depot. Basically, pull the adjuster bracket (one side at a time), slide the aluminum bar underneath, mark where you need to cut the bar to fit, drill holes for the bracket bolts, remount the bracket and you're done. I have the comfort seat and the diff between before and after was significant with just the 1/8" shim. No more sliding forward. I'm toying with the idea of adding another 1/8" just to see if it makes any more difference. I'll post the pic's when I find them if that will help.
  6. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
  7. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm looking for a way to mount a Sirius radio and antennae to my 08 RT? Bike has a Zumo 550 handlebar mount that is unused. Darn Zumo's keep dying or I'd just install the "puck" antennae for that and subscribe to XM.

We have a Sirius radio that I move back and forth from my truck and travel trailer. I'd like to mount it to the bike as well for my commutes so we just have one subscription.

I found a mounting kit online, but it seems to be discontinued.

What have you clever chaps come up with to mount your satellite radio and antennaes????
  8. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    I have power into my tankbag,and on my GSA I had the sat radio in the tankbag.I mounted the antenna on the top corner of the tankbag,and ran the earbud cord out the back of the tankbag.Worked good.
  9. Skitch

Skitch Riding the range

Oddometer:
    Just returned from 4 days in CO, NM and UT on a new set of PR3s. Put nearly 2k miles on them in all sorts of wx (dry, rain, snow, wind, hot and cold) and all I can say is WOW! Great tires, and a vast improvement over the PR2s they replaced. Highly recommend them for the RT.
  10. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am leaving for vacation with the fam, so I left the RT at an independent shop for a set of PR3's. Looking forward to riding around SE Mn when we get back.
  11. vintagebob

vintagebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PR3s just took me from San Jose to Las Vegas and back, by way of Yosemite and Death Valley. Great tires.

[​IMG]
  12. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Had mine put on last week, big improvement over the stock tires. I'm loving the RT again!
  13. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for different options for valve cover protection. Can y'all post up some different options to help me decide?
    Thanks in advance
  14. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out A&S Cycles' website - plenty of options: cylinder head protection - A&S. I run the BMW hard plastic ones and they do the job.

[​IMG]

No affiliation with A&S, they just have pretty good pictures. TT and Wunderlich also sell covers.
  15. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    These aren't strictly just valve cover guards (from Wunderlich)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Bikebits

Bikebits Scramblin' man

Oddometer:
    BMW GS valve cover guards. Hard aluminum shell with a polymer spacer underneath, resting on the valve cover. It would have to be a significant get-off to damage the valve cover.

[​IMG]
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got to ride an R1100RT in Portland, OR on a recent trip up there to visit my sister and brother in law. The owner was a friend of theirs. It was surprisingly comfortable and handled very well. My knees didn't quite fit where they were supposed to, but it wasn't bad. However, the owner did tell me he had several mechanical issues with it. He also had a beat up looking XR650L which he said he had never had a single problem with.
  18. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    Touratech Discontinued :dunno

[​IMG]
  19. hg_rich

hg_rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been very happy with my Machineart Moto covers. They saved me from an over-zealous Toyota and a gravel parking lot so far.

[​IMG]
  20. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread with interest, thanks to the OP for posting it. I hadn't seen these covers before, beautiful, just ordered a set from their web site!
    Don't ya just luv the power of the Internet?