Broke my Sidestand relocator plate

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by keener, Jun 29, 2013.

1. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    I have a 04 Adv so the frame is a bit different than bigher models very subtly.
    Blackdog relocator plate lasted tbree years. I had cut a bit of it work with my frame. To their credit, manual said shave of the frame which I didnt like.

Anyway, after repeated hits on side stand on rocks, I noticed it cracked. But it did what it was supposed to do well. My engine case would have been cracked with out it for sure.

[​IMG]

Im going to make a new one myself on my CNC machine currently colecting dust the garage. Let me k ow if you have any suggestions to make it stronger.

[​IMG]
  2. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy cow, I thought I was the only one that did that!

[​IMG]

Mine has not broken yet. My bike is a June 2004 build, which most people refer to as a "2005" in the US. So, I order the BDCW bracket for a 2005, and it didn't fit just like your bike. I also carved into the bracket to make it fit. After I'd done that I e-mailed BDCW, and Keith said he would take the carved bracket back and send me the right bracket for a 2004 that was cut to fit the old frame that had the extra gussets. I felt bad about essentially sending him a part that I screwed up, so I said I would just run the thing until it broke. He actually pleaded with me to take it off because he was afraid of what would happen if the thing broke while the bike was loaded. Great people at BDCW. :clap

Another option would be to go with the CJ Designs mod: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/ktm-kickstand-and-relocation-bracket/

Weld86 makes one as well, but I don't know how well it works. It looks like it just strengthens the stock mount rather than removing the bolts from the engine: http://www.weld86motoparts.com/KTM-950-990-ADV.html
  3. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always said modding the early frames is more advisable, its only a small amount of the webbing you need to remove and your adding extra support in that area anyway, to be fair its held up well.

Frog modded my design, I haven't heard of any probs.....

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/91184-charlies-sidestand-relocater.html

If your going to cut the plate, make the cut as rounded as possible, so no v point that can start a stress crack more easily.
  4. keener

Oddometer:
    Thx, I like how yours has an extra mounting point (to the skid plate bolt)

[​IMG]
  5. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two years in now Charlie, still good as new, and I have absolutely no concerns with the mod I did. IF and it's a big IF it ever broke, who cares, it's not the motor and I'd do exactly the same and get another of yours.
  6. keener

Oddometer:
    Its not a safety issue.

Ive been riding with it for a while. Even did some nasty offroad trails last weekend. It holds the bike up fine, although it think its on one bolt :)

The only reason I found out it was broken was that my gear shifter kept getting stuck when I down shifted. Side stand was rotating up too much touching the gear shifter. Granted I have lowered the shifter a bit.
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yes, once you break off the back mounting point you are just holding that side stand on with a single bolt. Hmmmm. I don't think I'd use it like that. :deal
  8. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Frog, I look after product testers...so all good this end. :thumb

I cant remember if you had the Mk1 or Mk2?
  9. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    The black Dog bracket is aluminium, Charlie's bracketis steel...... that's probably why Charlies has not cracked ;)
  10. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steel alloy, machinist bitches about it....and he recommended it. :lol3
  11. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1+ weld 86 all the way skid plate and relocation bracket!!!
  12. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, they make a great skid guard . . . But, their side-stand bracket bolts into the engine case. It makes everything stronger . . . Does not isolate the side stand:

[​IMG]

Compared to Charlie's 8mm thick steel bracket (counter sunk to isolate the side stand):

[​IMG]
    charlie264 likes this.
  13. jas123

jas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe yours cracked because of a stress fracture on the outside edge. What you most likely had was a microscopic fracture, which is a starting point for a much larger crack.
    Think of it like this. Take a sheet of paper and try to tear it apart, without twisting it. Now try another piece with a small tear(fracture) in it, much easier to tear with that small tear or fracture in it
    So what to do? Remove all suface imperfections and sharp edges by hand sanding and rounding all edges around the entire part, including the bolt holes with sandpaper.
    I think eliminating these stress risers will cure your problem.
  14. keener

Oddometer:
    Im certain this thing has broken from several hits to the side stand. I see the sidestand is scrached and dented. Even the triangle peice holding the springs is bent.

Blackdog's plate is broken because first and for most I made it weaker at its weakest point to mach my 2004 frame (again, BGCW asks to cut the frame instead of the plate,future frames don't have the same lip) , secondly it is being held by just two bolts.

Charlie's plate is definitely stronger and its bolted in three points. My only question is about the third mount point sharing the skid plate's bolt. does it not interfere with the skid plate? I cant remember the skid plate having much side to side room to let this plate in. Im using a RuggedRoads skid plate.
  15. mcmann

Oddometer:
    It is cut down to allow skid guard clearance . . . Plus, the skid guard has a rubber bushing. Here is a side view:

[​IMG]
  16. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I have Charlie's plate and works well with the KTM sumpguard or BDCW sumpguard on my 08 990 Adv
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure...enture-side-stand-relocater-5.html#post811751
  18. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  19. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. Can post to US but is around 18.50 quid at cost.

Been contacted by a couple of firms but its all licensing this and that and could I put the price up etc...
  20. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Installed with stock shield . . . Fits perfectly.

[​IMG]