Hyperpro shock settings, cant modify without getting shock off bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 2712, Mar 2, 2013.

1. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Ive hyperpro shocks installed a few weeks ago.
    I would like to adjust the preload and hight of the shock (option)

However i cant seem to do it without taking the bike to the shop. I dont get it, how do you do it with the shock being on the bike.

It seems impossibel. there is no space.

r1200gs adv (2009)

the hight setting is with a wrench on the bothem of the sock, i cant get the wrench in, the swingarm is it the way.

the preload, i have to do with a special wrench after i loosen up a security bolt thing. Well i cant find the bolt.

Anyone did this before who can help me a bit? can i take the rear shock off without taking it to a shop? Putting it on the centerstand and just wrench the top and bothem bolt of. or is there some sort of pretension that will snap my fingers off?
  2. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    AFAIK there is no way but to take the shock off. Iterative adjustment. It's a PITA but actually very simple. I installed and adjusted mine in my living room so I could be more comfortable. Took three times with install.
  3. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i just put it on center, unwrench the top and bothem bolt and i can take the shock right off the bike, do my stuff and put it back on?:ear

ps, since english is not really a language i speak, PITA and AFAIK? i know pita as meat that you eat in the weekends. :p
  4. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Take the muffler (you can't get the lower bolt out with the muffler there) and rear tire off. Undo the bolt at the swing arm amd push down on the swingarm to release the lower mount.
    Unbolt the top mount, take the shock out.
    Takes about 10m round trip.

Still, this makes spending the $250 for the hydraulic preload seem like a good plan :D
  5. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    PITA= "Pain In The Ass" and AFAIK= "As Far As I Know"

You can do the front on the stand just be patient fishing it in and out. The rear can do with a small bottle jack and piece of wood to rock the bike forward on the stand. It's harder and you do have to take the muffler off.

Most important thing is that for first adjustment take good numbers and write down how much sag to number of turns of preload. Use this as rate change for final adjustment. Should only have to do twice. Set mine so that I only use remote going from standard to two up. Works well.
  6. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    Have a look at this thread for some tips, I took photos fitting my own hyperpros.

You will likely need a heat gun for the bottom bolt on both front and rear shocks.

<br><br>
  7. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you!

so ive to ask, how do you change the preload, can you do it with everything installed on the bike?

i still cant find the "little bolt" that locks the preload ring above the spring in place, where is yours and how do you acess it?

can you cange preload upfront without getting the tank off?
  8. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    First the front....yes..it ain't simple..but can be done...I don't pull the tank anyway..just use a crowsfoot on the top nut...

The rear..well it depends..if you have the hyd preload, then, you can' t change the preload by the rings..if you don't have hyd preload, then, correct, loosen set screw and turn away..1/38th turn ata time :lol3...or..pull shock and do it in one third the time.

I'd make damn sure the set screw is in the opening on the right side of the bike before I finish bolting it all back together.
  9. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    I did not change the preload so cannot advise. I have kept it as set from my weight given when I ordered it.
    I do not have the sensitivity to really notice the difference. I ride what I ride.
    <br>
  10. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i said about 350kg plz

they set set up the bike to a 100kg rider and 50kg luggage... im 80kg:cry:rofl