jdrocks Rides 2013: CO, WY, MT, Canada, and Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jdrocks, Jun 5, 2013.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    I've been extremely busy this season, and haven't been out on the motos as much as in previous years. The rides i have run, i didn't bother to write up, man, there just ain't enough time to make everything happen.

When an opportunity arose to do a fly-ride-fly trip, hey, this manic adventure suits my travel style perfectly, let's do this thing. This ride entails ferrying an inmate's moto, complete with all normal travel gear, from Denver to Anchorage, an unusual assignment for sure. I fly into Denver from the Mid-Atlantic with my riding gear and a handful of personal items, pick up the bike at the airport, ride north. The bike owner will fly into Anchorage in July, then ride the same bike on a scheduled trip back down to Colorado.

The bike is fully prepped and waitin' on me...except that the bike owner dude has all his own gear already strapped on the back of that thing, ain't no room for my Nespresso and Funk Chubbie. That's cool, I'm a Zen dude anyway, and Zen is number 7 on the Top Ten list of conversational subjects in Colorado. Elk hunting is number 6. 420 has been numero uno for around a hundred years.

Coming soon, here we go again...

RIDING TO THE MOON
    JUNE 2013
    (to be continued...)
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    if i can get it together, i'll put a SPOT tracking link in here.

SPOT LINK

much grass to MTrider who helped stitch together a route from Denver to the Canuckistan border. thanks again, my friend.
  3. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    IN..:clap

Looking forward to this. :D
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hey jack, crisscrossing some of your roads from last season.
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Sure, glad my ramblings were helpful. But admit it, you just didn't want me to complain about why you missed all the good roads in Montana... again. :D

David
  6. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should be good!
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    yup, after 3700 miles riding Montana in recent years, i have missed a few. i need a guide, so when you finally spring for a reliable moto that can run those other ones without falling apart, i'll be back. those BMW dealers out there are way off route.

i'm riding right past some great Montana roads on this trip, but it ain't my bike, so i have to exercise a little restraint.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you should be going Mr. Nix.

i heard there's a great masseuse in Cody, she could go to work on that bad back, fix ya right up.
  9. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to! But I may be grounded for another month or so. Looking forward to this adventure of yours!
  10. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    Nice ride in store for you Dave. 420 is numero uno in AK too so if you need help striking up a conversation just mention Colorado and it will spark a sort of perpetual momentum conversation between old friends who have never met. Check out Liard Hot Springs if you can. Maybe you have been there, but it is in BC towards the Yukon border. Very large natural hot spring pool with changing rooms and only about $5 to get in. Quiet and not commercialized or at least ten years ago it was that way. I am sure it would be nice to soak in there after your first couple thousand miles. Camping available there too, but I camped next to a nearby lake to the South. I was in my truck heading South... I would love to be able to make the trip on two wheels one day. You will not be lacking any daylight on this trip.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

true on that 420 thing, most people don't know that AK has the highest drug and alcohol abuse rate of all 50 states, CO is playing catch up with that recent vote.

been to Liard Hot Springs several times. this ride has me routed up the Cassier, so i won't be on that road. this will be the 4th time since 2007 that i have been on that northern road network across AB, BC, YT, NWT, and AK, hey, i'm gettin' to know my way around up there.

if you haven't been up there for 10 years, you would be very surprised by the activity east of Toad River across YT/BC, then across Alberta all the way to the Sask border.
  12. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing this. You're ferrying my friend Mike's bike up. And making my trip a whole lot more enjoyable then 30 days solo.
  13. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:

:clap

I can't decide whether to actually leave a bottle of JD in the saddlebags, or not-
  14. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    Everybody thinks I'm nuts to hand my bike over to another rider, but I figure with JDrocks wizardry with the Kawi 650 twin platform, the thing will be running much better by the time he leaves it for me in Anchorage... I do feel a little bad about the espresso maker, though-
  15. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I know you put on a good show JD.
    Following that one.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    glad to be able to help complete this venture, you guys have some fantastic riding ahead. i can even provide a road condition report for some of your roads.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    bottle of JD in the pannier?...damn, guess i won't be gettin' the key for that one.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    and what about my Funk Chubbie, it's standing in the corner, feelin' no long board love, it can't go either.

my wife can't understand this trip either..."Honey, weren't you just there", but the northern roads hold a certain lure, and with that country changing so fast, the opportunity was not to be missed.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

thanks, stay tuned.
  20. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    I've been needing another JDRocks RR.

Have a great trip Dave.