RallyBlitz - Rally iPhone App

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Hopefully not too much of a derail. Want to get a trick HDB case, but got impatient, so cobbled together a case out of stuff in the garage: Pelican 1015 Iphone case, diamond RAM base, a SAE to USB converter and a Powerlet to SAE cord. Not zip tied or shrink wrapped (USB connection) but seems like it will work as an interim. Pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to mounting my phone to the bars, looks cool.
    All I'll be doing initially is checking my speed and odo against the bikes readings.

[​IMG]
  3. MaxThePanda

MaxThePanda Psycho Panda

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul

So, when you say 'not for a while' does that mean a month, 3 months, 6 months? I'd love to do away with cables and run one of these to replace an ICO at the Amageza Rally in South Africa in November > :thumb

Whaddya say?
    cheers, Ian
  4. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody run this off battery only? Any idea what sort of battery life I might expect running just this app?
  5. Whatever Dood

Whatever Dood No title available

Oddometer:
    RallyBlitz turns the iOS device location sensors up as high as they'll go, so your battery will drain pretty quickly. My relatively young iPhone 5 will drain in a little over hour when RB is running on battery power alone.
  6. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, sounds like running power to the phone is a must then.
  7. Whatever Dood

Oddometer:
    Definitely!
  8. Super Dave Hawaii

Super Dave Hawaii Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to zero B screen? I don't see a switch and see it tracks total miles.
    Dave
  9. Whatever Dood

Oddometer:
    There sure is:

1. Tap the "Control Panel" button (top-center).
    2. In the "Odometer Adjustments" section, tap the mileage value in the "B - Total" row.
    3. You should be asked to enter an "ODO B Passcode". The default passcode is 0000 (four zeroes). You can change the ODO B passcode from the Preferences screen.
    4. Once you enter your passcode you should be good to go!

Hope that helps!
  10. Super Dave Hawaii

Super Dave Hawaii Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer:
    Hey DOOD,
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.
    Dave
  11. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what IPhone case and mount are you all using? I think I need to get this App before my next dual sport rally. Thanks!
  12. MaxThePanda

MaxThePanda Psycho Panda

Oddometer:
    What's the chance a new feature can be added to record a GPS track at one second intervals as you go? Seems the data is already there, just a case of saving it. We need these tracks for the Amageza rally in South Africa in November & would save running another app. Galileo, the maps app, has some nice export options to check out.
  13. Whatever Dood

Oddometer:
    I use an Otterbox and a RAM X-mount. The phone has survived without a scratch so far :D
  14. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Lifeproof case - waterproof and it keeps the cable nice and snug. Not cheap but a really good case.
  15. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you mount the lifeproof case?
  16. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah! After doing a bit of research, that looks like a great case. How DID you mount that? Thanks!
  17. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Lifeproof makes a cradle for it, its pretty good, holds the case well and will fit to bars. I have covered serious miles on it with my mtb and never had it fall off or anything. For the moto though it does not work since it is never in a good viewing position (can only be mounted to the bars). So I butchered one of the lifeproof cradles and added a ramball mount from one of the ram cradles i had around. So now it is like a franken ram cradle and works great. I always have a ziptie on it just in case.
  18. Whatever Dood

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion! Pilo and I have discussed this before and would consider adding it, but we'll need help from y'all with respect to minimum requirements and such.

So having said that, let's start the conversation: we assume "Start/Stop Tracking" controls/buttons would be needed, correct? Would GPX output to Dropbox or email message be sufficient, or would integration with existing iOS apps be most desirable?
  19. MaxThePanda

MaxThePanda Psycho Panda

Oddometer:
    I'd say Dropbox and email would be perfect. Start/stop shouldn't be easily accessible by mistake - I'd want this to start tracking at the beginning of the stage and only stop at the end, for evaluation by the rally admin of waypoints for penalties. Must clearly show if stopped (eg at intersection) so no penalty. 1 sec intervals therefore very important. Thanks!!
  20. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/techmount-gen-4-mount-for-lifeproof-iphone-4-iphone-4s-cases

Gen 4 Techmounts are similar to the RAM concept but the balls are smaller and made of aluminum.