Adventure Designs Tool Kit Opinion

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by toyocruiser, Jun 15, 2010.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:evil

Jim :brow
  2. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I agree with you 100 percent. It is just not a matter of jobs anymore-China is cranking out the aircraft carriers now with American money. Oops, sorry for getting off topic.
    From the Wright web site:"Made Entirely in the U.S.A.
    From the design and engineering to the forging and finishing, all work on Wright tools is performed in the United States by skilled American workers. We do not use foreign blanks or forgings. Even the steel we use is American-made."

Order placed!
  3. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well written!

I wrote my previous review back in 2010 and liked the kit then. Since then Adventure Designs has came out with an only USA made kit. I've had a couple of my tools break (Trox and socket) and they have been great at replacing them with the USA made stuff. I would recommend this kit highly unless you're really into penny pinching or parts hunting. The kits compact, bike specific and they have great customer service, what more can you ask for.
  4. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have it and i like it,

one remark, the non chrome bits rust easaly (not that it matters a lot) and the toolrol is a compact, so you cant add to much stuff.
  5. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  6. hardpackrider

hardpackrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Adventure Designs tool kit was the first thing I bought for my 2012 GSA. (the second was their cylinder head guard bars) When u guys drop the "they're okay if you like tools made in China" I would challenge you that you would not be able to tell the deference from (pick any high $$ brand) in a blind tool test. i have done a far amount of wrenching, and find these tools of high quality, heavy feel and firm smooth action. I have used them for six months to install all of my many accessories and have never found something I could not address with them... everything I need. I would by them again in a heart-beat. They have an open house tomorrow,

http://www.advdesigns.com/info.html

(vendors, food, sales, and there will be tons of adv riders there..should be a good time) at their head quarters, and I'll ask the owners about the tool kit, and advise. Unless you're a pro mechanic, and really need another snap-on calendar, there is no need to look any further in my opinion. Very happy with their kit, but what is worth more to me, is the great advice and service I have and continue to receive from the two brothers who started this business in their garage. This company does not deserve your "shippin' jobs to China" wrath... i know them, have done tons of business with them...they just don't. Go there and see them for yourself. I'll be there tomorrow.. with both my ADV stickers and an Adventure Design sticker. Two groups I will continue to support.

ride safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Mr.Efficiency

Mr.Efficiency Adventure Wuss

Oddometer:
    Its a good looking toolkit but a call to beemerboneyard and a trip to sears will save you about 100 bucks.

I put together a nice kit with all reverse torx, tork, hex and sockets I need, along with sidecuts supplies, screwdrivers etc. Far more than this kit has for way less than 60 bucks.

Then I got specialty tools like wheel removers filter wrenches spark plug tools... all of the above for about 50 bucks. Tool rol l from WalMart..
  8. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. bigbadandugly

bigbadandugly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what's your time worth running around procuring your bits and pieces? I recently joined the independent consultant ranks and bill out at $200/hr. That certainly gives you a perspective of what time is worth relative to being a salaried worker. Obviously a bored retiree will have a different perspective.

And after doing so, does you tool roll up small enough to fit under the seat? Maybe - if you've thrown out half the pieces you bought that don't need.

One thing I don't like about the AdvDesigns toolkit is the combination of pieces you need to use the small bits. You need the 3/8" ratchet, then the 3/8" to î/4" adapter, then the 1/4" bit adapter, and then the bit. You end up with a number of pivot points which increases the likelihood of camming out if you're not careful. I'm going to augment the kit with a small bit ratchet soon to address this issue.

BigBadandUgly
  10. hardpackrider

hardpackrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    like I was sayin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what a great event today... tons of great folks showed up, there were adventure stories all around to be had..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wonderful German style lunch for all.. was great..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one sweet 94 R100 looked brand new..

[​IMG]

custom seat "saddleman" or saddlemen", (sp) they look really nice... saving my pennies

[​IMG]

my ride this afternoon down Mines road out to "The Junction" a great restuarant, bar, and mc hangout.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Mr.Efficiency

Mr.Efficiency Adventure Wuss

Oddometer:
    Well, I work out to about $300 an hour and it took me about 20 minutes to order my tools and I tossed them in the bottom of a 40 liter pannier. No worries and about a hundred bucks saved. And I have all my ratchets. All the info is here on the site.
  12. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    So, what do you figure it cost you to send this post?
  13. aGremlin

aGremlin Long timer

Oddometer:
    So much he can't afford to respond? :D
  14. bigbadandugly

bigbadandugly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So given you didn't allocate any time to unpacking and filtering all your tools, I guess you didn't take any time to unpack the tools - you just took the box from the UPS driver and tossed it in you pannier. And I'm sure you find it real comforting have all those useless ratchets and their excess weight with you.

And how does your "tool kit" fit under the seat of your bike like the ADV Designs tool kit does? Not everyone wants to drive around with the big panniers attached.

Frankly, your comparison of "equivalency" is beyond ridiculous.

BigBadandUgly
  15. Johnny4x4

Johnny4x4 Post Count? no, Experience Counts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought my set. seem to be of good quality, will use this weekend to put a few things on the bike.

so far worth every penny!

2nd thing i bought for my bike (had to have tools to install all the other things i am going to buy)

just up my alley to fix up the GSA.

thank\\

Johnny
  16. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And he didn't allocate time to eat and take a crap either! :rofl :rofl :rofl

As far as the ADV designs tool kit fitting under the seat, mine doesn't. Even with the stock tool kit removed it won't fit. Did ADV Designs change this kit in the past year since I purchased mine (besides adding 50 bucks to the price that is). :lol3
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Seems like a nice kit but I chose to build my own because the tools are rarely needed on their own. Still need room for zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, tire plugs, bailing wire, superglue, small length of wire, etc...
    That means carrying 2 kits if I use theirs. Mine is bigger by about 2x theirs but does the same job. It's not as nice and the tool quality isn't as good but I hope to never use it anyhow... i don't need lifetime warranty tools that never get used. Just tools good enough to last through being used a few times. The thing I like most about building my own is that I didn't go to tetris like measures to get it all to fit so it's easy to put back together. All in was about $75 with a lot of leftovers that went into my toolbox.

Still, i love tools and look at it with lust in my eyes :lol3
  18. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shees! 3 pages of tool talk that looks like an oil thread.

Use what you need at home for common problems and haul what you may need for the journey, not everything you can carry.

If you can do the job at home with the kit, and you can take the kit with you, you are done. Are you really going around the world where neither parts nor tools are available? On every ride?

Who cares where the tools came from if they work when needed? (I avoid Chinese tools because that's my choice - your choice is OK with me.)

Some of my recent experience since 1962 (this is just BMW riding):
    40,000+ miles on only 2 solo trips in USA without slabbing
    20,000 miles in USA 2-up mostly off slab
    20,000+ miles in Mexico solo and 2-up - no slab at all
    5,000+ miles in Europe and eastern Europe 2-up off slab

2800 miles on a Honda Varadero in Europe 2-up with another 5,000 anticipated next summer 2-up (the bike has 51,000 miles on it now).

All with NO problems other than exhaust leaks (Honda), clutch cable adjustments (Honda), chain adjustments (Honda), fouled or fried plugs (Yamaha), flat tires, burned light bulbs (Yamaha), and some bad fuel problems (BMW and Yamaha) in all those miles with my own tool kits. All with less than $200 in tools and no FD failures.

Good luck to you. Go have fun. Or not. Your choice every day.
    YMMV:thumb
  19. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    I looked at the website for Adventure Designs..really nice tool kit..here is their quote :deal

• USA MADE QUALITY: Buy USA tools and you are investing in quality and are supporting hard working USA jobs. Buy cheap tools and you will get cheap results. Stripping or rounding a fastener is frustrating and costly and can leave you stuck on the side of the road. Our forged tools are made of 100% USA steel and are hot forged in the USA. The “other guys” cut corners by using cheap steel and by cold forging resulting in a soft inconsistent tool.
  20. Timthai

Timthai Never still Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is about the Adventure Designs kit, but Cruz Tools have a GS specific kit that includes only the sizes required, including a 22mm front axle tool...

Anyone had any experience with it?

Just did a quick comparison...

Adventure Design
    L9.5" W3.5" D3.5"
    Weight 4lb 11oz
    Price $250

Cruz Tools
    L 9" W3.25" D3.25"
    Weight 3lb 8oz
    Price $120

AD kit includes spark plug/oil filler combo tool and oil filter tool, while the CT does not. Bot include a front axle tool.

I have most of the tools I need at home, and put the required sizes into two small pouches, but I don't think it would be as compact or manageable as a purpose designed "travel kit". Plus, I'd rather leave the travel kit in tact and use the other tools at home, so there's no risk of losing something or leaving it out, only to discover it's not there when you really need it.

Cheers.