'12 Sherco oil question

Discussion in 'Trials' started by broncobowsher, Dec 24, 2012.

1. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on the owners manual for my '12 Sherco 2.9. I have found the '11 online but not the '12. I presume (and this is where things can turn around to bit me) that the '11 specs are the same as the '12? I figure it is better to ask first before doing something stupid.:deal

Good old generic DextronII/Mercon ATF?
    Half quart, ~450mL?
  2. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call RYP. Not sure if they are open the next 2 days?
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I sure hope it's not as complicated as finding the correct GG oil.:eek1
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    RYP usually recommends maxima 75wt two stroke tranny fluid. 450 sounds right. Isn`t there a fill to screw on the side cover?
  5. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    if you look at what Sherco says "new for this year" I dont think they said they changed the transmission and stuff. But I like the guy that said just call RYP when in doubt, is probably your best bet. Or find somoene that is riding the same bike, that seems to keep up with the tricks of the trials... There's usually guys in every club that do anything possible to make the bike better (at least to them) Just like there are guys around me that know the Tips n tricks to do with GASGAS.

Some people call it complicated when you have "choices." some people want to be told what to use. the book that comes with the gasgas, says use 5w/30. We trials riders that ride GASGAS say you can do more. it really isn't difficult.
  6. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have the 2012, we use Amsiol 0-40w in the tranny, at 450cc, I have an older Lucas oil bottle with a pointed tip and cap. I pour the oil in it after I let the orig drain out and capture at least the 450 oil that came out, seal up the drain bolt,
    Mine never has the copper or alum crush washer on the drain bolt, so I put one on it, Then lay the bike on the left side, and remove the allen filler bolt, use the squirt bottle (to fill, unless you want to try and find a funnel that small, and wait a year for it to fill......
    Have fun !!!!:wink:
  7. BorisTas

BorisTas Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well now it depends on which part of the book you choose to read. If for instance we read page 10 in the section on draining the crankcase oil it says ......"Fill the crankcase with 450cc of 10W50 motor oil."
    If on the other hand we read page 19 in the specs it still says 450cc however it recomends SAE10W40.

I have a '12 250 and '12 300 Cabby , two books and they both say the same . Hope this clears it up for you :D

BT
  8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well at least we have the quanity right. Still 450mL. Now to go off on another "what oil thread" tangent.

Is there a clean way to drain the oil? I saw the drain bolt wedged in there just above the skid plate next to a rubber block. The front bolts of the skid plate are buried behind the exhaust. So pulling the skid plate to change the oil looks to be a pain, leaving it on looks to be a mess. Am I missing something simple?

Good thing I am on vacation and not even in the same state as the bike.
  9. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hang a tie down on the handle bars and the other to a work bench or shelve,MAke sure it is in gear, let the tie down out far enough to have bike lean on an angle about far enough to make sure all oil is running out the left side, I put a drain pan under to catch and check the oil level as far as what came out ( 450cc....)
    You must do this after you run the bike and warm it up, or it will take you a week, , then stand bike up and lean it again to get any trapped oil left..Also if you might want to sell one of those, I am looking.
    .:wink:
    Also did yours have a copper or alum washer?
    This does two things, it saves the threads from getting pulled out and or stripped, and seals the oil better than no washer..
    Good Luck..
  10. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not done the service yet. Don't know about the sealing washer yet. Good thinking about warming it up first, I would have thought of that a few days after starting. Still on vacation and not ready to work on it for another week at least. Need to make a few more phone calls and try to figure out an acceptable oil choice (there is never a best choice for some reason?)
  11. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    bel-ray 75w gear saver is what a riding mate uses in his 2012 250 sherco
    i also use it in my beta and my brother uses it in his 280 ossa.
    gives a really nice smooth clutch compared to others i have tried
    every one i know thats tried it has stuck with it