Three Stooges Stromin' the San Juans

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Phattyre-Phready2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Phattyre-Phready2

Phattyre-Phready2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My camera battery was too dead to flash and I was too hungry to mess with it. We had a version of Questor's glorp, except we cooked everything separate, then let it blend naturally. Questor dumps everything in one pot and calls it glorp.

[​IMG]

This had been a long day, as evidenced by ol' Torchie not even getting a fire going. After eating, we carried our chairs by the river and had a campstove each, but that wasn't enough to stave off the damp chill from the river. We hit the hay, knowing we had a 450 mile ride home the next day.

Turning in early has it's benifits...I'm wide awake at the crack of dawn. I hurriedly put on all my warm layers...it got cold overnight!

[​IMG]

I ran my battery down charging stuff all night, so I set my seat in the sun to thaw it out.

[​IMG]

We quickly break camp and head South on 84. When we reach the junction of 84 and 64, we head East on 64 toward Taos. A couple of crotch rockets pass us and lead us to the Rio Grande Gorge in record time! We've stopped here numerous times in the past on snow skiing trips, so we follow our noses into Taos, looking for good smells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we roll through Taos, we notice a dozen motorcycles parked on the left about the same time we begin to smell a bakery. We park amongst all the bikes and find a pleasant surprise...the sweet bakery smells are coming from an old snow skiing haunt... we've been enjoying this place since the 70's!

[​IMG]

I had the spanish omellette...delicious!

[​IMG]
  2. PinIt2WadIt

PinIt2WadIt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slept fine in multiple layers and a warm sleeping bag, but it was tough to get out of the tent...mid-20's according to the weather on my phone.

[​IMG]

The dishes from the previous night were left soaking and had a layer of ice.

[​IMG]

Cold, but clear skies and beautiful surroundings!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our camp from the river...

[​IMG]

Pops preparing his hot coffee and oatmeal; that sounds like a great idea!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I climbed the hill beside our campsite for some 'big picture' pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun finally rose over the mountains and things started warming up nicely:clap

[​IMG]

Loaded up camp while the bikes were warming up:huh

[​IMG]

We hit the road and followed those sportbikes at a good clip. Didn't take any pics until we reached the Gorge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entering Taos, NM...what's up you FF's!

[​IMG]

Mom and Pops used to bring me here every spring break for some snow skiing...always thought it was a cool town. Artsy/hippie vibe is very apparent.

[​IMG]

We pulled a u-turn and parked the bikes next to this group (our wee's are on the far end). Dad hopped off his bike and noticed a little 'dakar-man' sticker on the big guys Beamer. Dad flashed him the ADV-salute...and the guy just stared at him. I immediately de-fused the situation, explaining his actions...guess he isn't an inmate:huh Gotta be careful Pops...no saluting unless you see an actual ADV sticker (and only if the guy isn't 6'6" and 280lbs:lol3 )

[​IMG]

If you are ever in Taos, try this place...excellent food!

[​IMG]

I must not be the only one who thinks that...

[​IMG]

Across the street...maybe my new favorite gallery:D

[​IMG]

I had the huevos rancheros and it was Excellent!

[​IMG]

I don't think the customer is always right in this establishment:

[​IMG]
  3. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Brad and Pops,

You guys are truly blessed to be able to share a great trip like this with each other.

I hope many, many more are in your future.

Cost of trip? Who the hell cares? :lol3

Memories? Priceless! :thumb

Shiny (or dusty, muddy, grimy, you know the deal), side up!

Dave (aka, Stromdog)
    St. Petersburg, FL
  4. Phattyre-Phready2

Oddometer:
    It's been great having you along, Stromdog!

I count my lucky stars every night! We hope to keep doing these trips as long as I'm able. We have our postponed National Parks Tour coming up Memorial Day 2011...k8E has caught the "Adventure" fever and we're already planning a dirt bike trip to Ouray next Labor Day with k8E. And the best part...we now have a place to share them with friends and family here on ADVrider! Doing these reports really does take you back, almost like re-living the experience.
  5. Phattyre-Phready2

Oddometer:
    We leave Taos headed for Tres Ritos Pass. We pass Sipapu Ski Area on the way, another place we used to ski.

[​IMG]

They were having some kind of Beemer Rally...BMW's everywhere!

[​IMG]

We stayed in this cabin a few times...about 1/4 mile from the main chairlift.

[​IMG]

Sipapu Ski Area is family owned and operated...everything about the place is awesome...except for the ski runs. They're too short for experienced skiers. They have plenty of room to expand, but there's some government BS standing in the way. This is a perfect place for families wanting to learn how to snow ski.

I've always wondered...does Sipapu mean "eat sh!t" in Indian?
  6. PinIt2WadIt

PinIt2WadIt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We loaded up with full bellies and headed SE toward Texas. Took a bunch of pics of Taos on the way out to show k8E; the building code is adobe. Period.

Autozone

[​IMG]

BK

[​IMG]

WalMart

[​IMG]

Pizza Hut (same roof as the rest, but psuedo-adobe exterior)

[​IMG]

Another great day for a ride! Sipapu was packed with Germans...bikes that is.

[​IMG]

I think I saw a final drive or two limping across the parking lot:deal

[​IMG]

Great attendance at the Rally!

[​IMG]

Lots of miles to cover today, 450 or so to Lubbock. We normally ride ~300 mile days and stop/smell roses often...not quite as much today. The fall colors were just beginning around Tres Ritos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making tracks and the moutains are getting smaller in a hurry:cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the hell just happened:lol3

[​IMG]

Stopped in Santa Rosa for a break and some ice cream at DQ.

[​IMG]

Wow, after the last week, this is quite a shock. Eastern NM is much different than were we'd been, but the wind is light and we are covering some ground!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This train was LONG, we had 25mph on it and we were next to it forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooooh, hurry, get the camera ready....A TREE:lol3

[​IMG]

Where's your ATGATT, girl??? To each their own...

[​IMG]

Almost there....

[​IMG]

And we made it back to a whole other country!

[​IMG]
  7. Phattyre-Phready2

Oddometer:
    As we're rolling into Las Vegas, I realize I haven't taken any pictures lately and snap an over the shoulder shot of B-Rad and Storie Lake. We used to stop here on snow skiing vacations and let Bradley beachcomb a little...he lubs beachcombing! {sorry k8E...I had to at least once!}

[​IMG]

We stop for ice cream in Santa Rosa...nothing like a sugar fix to fight off the mid afternoon drowsies! We then head for Ft. Sumner and I take the lead.

[​IMG]

We take the truck bypass around Ft. Sumner, then stop for gas in Melrose, NM. This is the last time we'll need gas before Lubbock, about 130 miles SE.

[​IMG]

We get behind a panel truck that's running 80-85 and make good time to Amherst, where we stop to see PaPaw, as promised. When we leave, the sun is just starting to set.

[​IMG]

The only time we rode in the dark on the trip...the last 40 miles. No problem...it's a comfy 75 degrees and light winds.

No signifigance to this picture...I just don't want to put up the last one of the zumo showing total trip mileage. :cry

[​IMG]

All good things must come to an end... at just under 2000 miles from Lubbock to Lubbock.

[​IMG]
  8. PinIt2WadIt

PinIt2WadIt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's funny, I had a strange desire to beachcomb when we passed Storie...
  9. k8E

k8E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not encounter this AWESOME trip, but with a fantastic story line, unforgettable pictures, and B-Rad telling me bedtime stories, I feel i have had the utmost pleasure of attending this journey with my Pops-in-law and hubby.
  10. Phattyre-Phready2

Oddometer:
    for B-Rad's bedtime stories! There may be ulterior motives!? Next year, you'll be there with us, k8E!
  11. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    You describe is vivid photo detail one of the best places in the US to ride motorcycles! Way to go taking a trip together...and making plans to bring along the wife next time.:clap

I really enjoyed your write up.:thumb

With kind regards,
    Dave
  12. Phattyre-Phready2

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it, Dave! That IS motorcycle heaven, no doubt! Can't wait to share it with k8E...
  13. PinIt2WadIt

PinIt2WadIt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Computer virus>Computer issues>Computer paperweight>New FAST computer:eek1
    That's my excuse for delaying this RR and I'm sticking to it:D

We crossed into Texas and maintained our pace...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped by to see my granddad aka Pa-Pa on our way back. He made a few more comments about the cute nurses:wink: Here's Pops showing him some of our trip pictures:

[​IMG]

Sunset on the way to Dad's was gorgeous...I do miss those West Texas sunsets! (and the cotton looks great this year; Very good since it is the lifeblood of the Lubbock economy!:clap)

[​IMG]

Cool how everything turns pink at dusk.

[​IMG]

Don't get to experience these sunsets as much where I live in Arkansas (too many dang trees and hills in the way:wink: ) Win some, lose some I suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it to Dad's, took some showers (finally!), and visited with a buddy. Actually, Dad and I bored him with our adventure:lol3
    Turned in early...had a long ride to get home the next day!
  14. PinIt2WadIt

PinIt2WadIt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hit the road around 9:30am on Sunday morning, ~600 miles to get home :eek1 I didn't have to be back at work until Tuesday, but I was ready to get home and see k8E!

[​IMG]

Spotty showers in the area; just cool looking clouds so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best roadside park I've ever visited near Crosbyton. Dad took me here a few times growing up...there is a ribber down there :D Didn't stop today, trying to burn some miles.

[​IMG]

Clouds building...

[​IMG]

I did stop in Dickens to get some lunch. This place does make some great BBQ!

[​IMG]

Stopped at a rest area an hour later to try it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raining to the North:huh

[​IMG]

This is what I need to haul my kit:deal

[​IMG]

What's up?

[​IMG]

Didn't take another picture for the next few hundred miles, just cruising with thoughts of home:clap

Finally made it around 6:30pm. Not a bad day, didn't get rained on once and had decent temps, but I was glad to get off that weestrom seat! Here's the trip total:

[​IMG]

What a trip!!! Can't wait for the next one:clap :clap :clap
  15. k8E

k8E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see my hubbie was looking forward to home and me! Having these separation periods makes you realize not to take one another for granted. In my opinion, this is healthy.
    When are you going on your next trip already:lol2