AR-NWA ADV BS thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Elvis70, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Looks like an interesting place. Doubt I'll check it out this w./e though, last thing I want to do is ride in an area where I'm stuck behind a bunch of slow ass side by sides. :lol3
  2. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    I think we are busy the weekend of the 20th, I'mm check and make sure. The 27th may be best.
  3. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    If you need to find that broken "whatever" just let me know. Today was the day for that.

Went to drive somewhere...the garage door doesn't go up. Close look = broken torsion spring. Part found online and ordered...ka ching. $$$$

Took the mower housing off the rider. Found a nearly broken drive belt. Found parts online and ordered...ka ching $$$$

Went to put blades that I sharpened back on the mower...found a broken mandrel housing. Parts found online and ordered...ka ching. $$$$

Went to turn on lights in shop. Nope. Found a broken switch. Fortunately, I had a few extras left over from remodeling.

Fortunately, when the lights didn't go on in the shop I failed to go inspect the bike. Otherwise, I have no doubt I would have found something broken on Ole Blue.

To prevent further problems I went to the frige, grabbed a couple of beers and locked myself in the office. Popped tops and Jeff Beck turned up high have prevented further challenges. :clap

But if you need something bad found...just call. :D

-JD
  4. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    I had one of those days this week Jaidee! I feel for ya buddy.
  5. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    If you need help with the garage door spring let me know JD.

ive messed with them a little bit, even made me some tools to make it less scary.

:1drink
  6. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good choice on the music:clap
  7. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the sympathy guys! Yeah right. Y'all just want to come over and drink beerz. Can't blame you, but.....

Seriously, thanks! When I get the spring Matt I may have you help me with it. Sounds like it can be a SOB to get it wound up, adjusted and tightened unless you're an octopus.

And by the way, you're all welcome to come over and help me raid the garage refrigerator any time. :evil

-JD
  8. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    Moved on to Joe Henry now for a bit more funk. I'm less apt to throw things when he's on.

-JD
  9. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Use a long extension from a socket set to tension the spring. A small crescent wrench works for the grub screw. Adjust the spring until the door is nearly weightless when closed.
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I prefer an open/box end 7/16" so I dont have to fiddle with the adjustment on the grub screws.

and you will need 2 of the extensions to wind it down safely.

I cut some round stock a long time ago, slightly under .500" dia

they fit better than a socket extension, and they are about 20 " long so you get good leverage.

makes it a less scary process.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I just call the landlady. :lol3
  12. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Kiwi and Mouth. Sounds like you guys have replaced those stupid springs a time or three. I appreciate the advice, especially when Mouth comes over and shows me how. :rofl

Albie...why are you letting your landlady wind your spring? :eek1 ...or replace your belt? ...or play with your housing? ...or flip your switch to turn you on?

Lions and tigers and bears...OH MY!!!

-JD
  13. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    Albie is so pampered! :csm

:lol3
  14. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have two springs you will have to unwind the old before you can remove it. Put a line across it while wound, chalk line or grease pencil mark. Then when you rewind it the line will be there to let you know you have it wound the correct number of turns. A lot of new springs have a line on then, so you can count the number of turns when you wind them. Make sure you don't reverse the way the shaft came off the door. If reversed you can have the spring come off the winding nut. You need to clamp the shaft so it doesn't turn when you are winding and while you tighten the set screws. Another clamp to keep the door from raising before you are done. Might want to stay away from the beer till you are done and watching it go up and down again.
  15. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    here ya go JD

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSeeHX0NUYQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSeeHX0NUYQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  16. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    I'll be standing next to the refrigerator videoing Mouth just in case anything exciting happens. I figure with the right video and number of hits on YouTube this could end up being a profitable venture. :lol3

Thanks for the advice on marking the spring & # of turns winding.

-JD
  17. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doc!

-JD
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You know you're jealous. :lol3
  19. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    It's a purty day outside. Time to saddle up the PandaBike and go stack on some miles.

Who wants to me in ES for lunch?
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    :y0! Where we eating?