Detroit Greetings

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bruno T ., Sep 2, 2008.

1. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Nice pics. I've been wanting to do an urban ride report of Detroit for a while. It'd be fun to get a some riders together to do just that. Kind of a fun way to promote Detroit and our state.
  2. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's fun place to escape to. Must be awesome to have a cabin up there. So much great riding.
  3. sunsurfnride

sunsurfnride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in on the ride if you are putting one together.
  4. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Some video from GLDS's Chandler Hills Challenge 2008 ride;

<object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112" ID="MyWMP260204" width="320" height="312"><param name="ShowControls" value="1"><param name="AutoStart" value="0"><param name="AnimationatStart" value="0"><param name="EnablePositionControls" value="0"><param name="EnableTracker" value="0"><param name="Rate" value="1"><param name="ShowPositionControls" value="0"><param name="ShowStatusBar" value="1"><param name="StretchToFit" value="1"><param name="uiMode" value="mini"><param name="SRC" value="http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.asp?YID=247&CID=260204"><param name="URL" value="http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.asp?YID=247&CID=260204"><embed type="application/x-mplayer2" Name="MyWMP260204" Width="320" Height="312" ShowControls="1" AutoStart="0" AnimationatStart="0" EnablePositionControls="0" EnableTracker="0" Rate="1" ShowPositionControls="0" ShowStatusBar="1" ShowTracker="0" uiMode="mini" stretchToFit="1" Pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/" Src="http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.asp?YID=247&CID=260204" Url="http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.asp?YID=247&CID=260204"></embed></object>
  5. Wooderson

Wooderson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count me in too!

Mexican Town, Train Station, Cork Town, Campus Martius, Belle Isle, and ....
  6. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the video, B. Brings back great Chandler memories. (Like before I had to ride bitch on the back of Goose's wife's xt225)

Now as for this Urban Ride Report, glad to know there is interest. It would have to be a couple of weeks out. I have to give it some thought. There is a lot of great stuff in The D and I think we could get some really great photographs.

But how truly ADV do we want to go? Anyone up for camping in a vacant lot or abandon building? I saw a great water crossing opportunity over by Wayne State...
  7. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    I am in for the ride. I for one would like to camp out in a crack house. If you want to get together to map out a route let me know.
  8. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Urban Adventure ride, yes.

Crackhouse campout, no.
  9. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    I'm in for the urban adventure, I'm 2-1/2 hours away but I can make it in a half an hour:rofl . I've only seen part of the "good" Detroit, and I'd like to see more... even a crackhouse, what the heck.
  10. pman13

pman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in a ride through the D, but not a camp out.
  11. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    Anybody got any Claymores and trip wires?:huh
    Can't set up a good perimeter without 'em!
    :lol3
  12. sunsurfnride

Oddometer:
    In for the ride not the camp out, havnt played with claymores in 20years but they can be very effective if set up properly.:kboom
  13. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Looks like Operation Urban Assault is gaining some interest. Goose and I will put some thought to a route.
  14. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Chris. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to this year's event;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GLDS Chandler Hill Challenge (AMA National DS)
    September 26 - 27, 2009

LAST YEAR'S EVENT FLYER
    [/FONT]
  15. SmashingPumpkins

SmashingPumpkins Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer:
    Watch out when going past this guy's house:

[​IMG]
  16. sunsurfnride

Oddometer:
    Is Wiskey Creek as good as Chandler Hill? New to GLDS and wondered which one would be better for a 990A?

JD
  17. SmashingPumpkins

SmashingPumpkins Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer:
    Both events will have ADV routes available for the bigger bikes.

The normal routes probably would be about the same---if not a little harder at Chandler Hill. More elevation change there. And also I wouldn't ride the optional sections. Plus it depends on how comfortable you are with the occasional sandy section.
  18. sunsurfnride

Oddometer:
    Havnt been at teh dirt on a bike this size for long, 1 year to be exact, dont mind the sand as long as speeds are not crazy. Should probably change the rear tire before riding to either of these though i guess. Any sugestions on how agressive a tire i should go to? Thanks for the help and like the puking pumpkin.
  19. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Will you be riding ADV routes ? or DS ?

I say ride them both, but i preferred Chandler Hills last year.
  20. sunsurfnride

Oddometer:
    If my cousin rides along I would be riding both, its a compitition at that point if you know what i mean. My wife says apart we are pretty smart guys but when we get together there isnt a brain cell to be found for miles!

Chandler is better on my schedule so will have to sorce some sand tires i guess?

JD