Jackson Wyoming suggestions

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by dcg141, Aug 4, 2013.

1. dcg141

dcg141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I won a trip to Jackson Hole with our lawn equipment supplier and I see where I can rent a 800 GS. Any suggestions for some day trips out of Jackson? Will be in September and will be 2 up with the wife.
  2. azredline

azredline Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't want to overstate the obvious, but you'll be just south of Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. If you haven't been, you must go, esp on a bike.

Just north of Jackson, look for the Scenic Loop Drive leaving from Moose Junction. I think it is paved, but nevertheless beautiful.

I think there are a couple of fire roads you can get well into the Tetons on, and will miss lots of other tourists in their Winnebagos. Wish I knew the numbers, but I saw them on a map at the visitors center.

Get on it and ride, you can't go wrong. (Watch your fuel though!)

Have fun!
  3. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have time plan on riding all day and spending the night in different parts of the park to allow for stoping and hiking. The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone will take your breath away if you have never seen them.
    If the bear tooth highway is still open don't miss it either.
  4. cmohr

cmohr Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    If you take the scenic loop from Moose, don't slab it to Moose - go to Teton Village (maybe lunch at the Mangy Moose - recommended) and continue north on gravel/old asphalt to Moose. Check out the visitor center there. If you're a wine/microbrew fan, visit Dornan's store at Moose (just east of the Snake river - the scenic loop goes west).

For a longer ride, try the Rockefeller Parkway between Teton and Yellowstone parks - north through Teton park, then take a left at Flagg Ranch (another nice restaurant) onto the Ashton-Flagg Ranch road (AKA Grassy Lake Road, AKA Reclamation Road) for ~30 miles of gravel/rocks/dirt and scenery - suitable for a large GS. Right on Idaho 47 along the Warm River - check out the Mesa Falls overlooks. If you have all day, continue to West Yellowstone and loop through YNP to return, otherwise backtrack.

Beartooth Highway? Long trip! If you take it, Go through YNP, out East entrance to Cody and north on the Chief Joseph scenic byway to the Beartooth. Museum in Cody is worth a stop - western art/Buffalo Bill memorabilia/old gun collection.

Nice scenery and twisties south of Jackson along the Snake river - left at Hoback Junction and continue south along the Hoback River.

So many choices, so little time.....

Enjoy
  5. ckjj888

ckjj888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are picture?:evil
  6. dcg141

dcg141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx for the suggestions..just what I was looking for. I got to ride the new 1190 in Austria a month ago and I am really looking forward to this trip. Especially when I found out about the rentals. Been out west many times but somehow never Jackson/Yellowstone.