Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im waiting to see if others want to come too. Trying to twist DSRiders arm a bit. You know how that goes. Give me a call 213-0217.

2. redwave

redwave well...seasoned noob

Oddometer:
    (center of the known riding world) Utah for now
    Dsrider you outta come All welcome leave whenever ride till we're done. If y'al wanna leave from here lemme know and I'll PM duwreckshuns to my house. Mo is it time to warm-up Mudpig's xr400?
  3. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Needs a good kick. Take it out for the day after you start it. Use up the old gas in the tank, put some new gas in. Don't even have to bring it here tonight, keep it in you garage for awhile..Had oil changed and valves checked 300 miles ago, suggested interval is 1,000 miles...My earliest possible time to ride is September, might even not be until next year sometime.
  4. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    How u doin overall?
  5. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They worked me pretty hard in Physical Therapy on Friday. I have had pretty tight hamstrings and glutes since, not only painful but can barely lift my feet to walk. I know PT is no pain, no gain, but to be in pain for 3 days after a session is no fun. I'm told most patients who have this procedure still regret it after 6 months, but after 12 months they're glad they did it. Going to be a very long summer.
  6. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    <CENTER>[​IMG][​IMG]lets go to africa</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>[​IMG]or lets go here instead</CENTER>
  7. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    Keep your chin up Mudpig. It'll be worth it.:clap

8. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

http://www.rvaqualine.com.au/home.php

Aqualine makes these Safari fuel tanks. Here's a picture of a 30 litre job on a DR650..You can get up to a 40 litre tank for your KTM 950. That's about 10 gallons of gas...
  9. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Lane keep em comming. One of these days I am going to buy one of the contraptions you suggest in jest. This one almost makes the cut.

LOL you could sleep in the saddle if you tied yer steed to a tree.

~

Michael
  10. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]should produce this effect
  11. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    I would love to oblige amd take it up the hill today, but I am sick as a dog. Been feeling pretty bad all weekend, had to pull out last minute on a trip to the lake yesterday that would have been a blast.

Maybe in the next week or two I can take it out for a good cleanout run. I will give you a call mid week next week.

~

Michael
  12. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Maybe in the next week or two I can take it out for a good cleanout run. I will give you a call mid week next week."

It's wagging its tail in anticipation...
  13. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    Its not to late... Leaving clovis at 11. going via 168 Auberry to Northfork
  14. redwave

redwave well...seasoned noob

Oddometer:
    (center of the known riding world) Utah for now
    and sound- except for- oh, that's what blunt force trauma looks like, and feels like. ouch. I picked a bad line and flawlessly followed it up with a spill and a boo-boo :cry Good thing Shaz has search and rescue expertise and the snow near the top of Shuteye sure helped the swelling of my ballooned calf when packed around it. We rode up to where the snow was impassable and got out okay. Well there's more to the story but I'll let others pick up the narrative from here...It was a great ride all the way around, great company, a spectacular forest run very little pavement and only a minor incident or two broke up the fun. Let's do it again soon! (soon as I can ride again anyway)
  15. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    aaha monti that 's what I was thinking. I was half serious about budgeting for it until i saw that there was no mid-night fly.

Steve I now see what you were refrencing.. I like the tank the gullie dr, and of course, the whale tail.

dave sounds fun! even the wreck. glad you guys had a good day and it wasn't too serious. You were right on the line of disaster and success... that's the best.

i took soji up to the mountains, I'd park, we'd walk, repeat, go a little further, I thought why not try to find that one little lake that we hoisted tarm's smoto up on that rock, and ended up around brewer lake high centered (jeep) on a small snow drift.

I tried digging myself out, getting traction with wood and rocks but to no avail. I think the thing that really irritated me was all the misquitos- titsy flies or whatever the hell they were. They'd bite and suck blood but I don't feel any of the 10000 bites itching. Maybe it's the type that doesn't release that numbing allergic reaction gunk. i was constantly slapping myself!

I walked (ok ok, I confess, I jogged too with soji) back to 168 to meet my rescue team Steve and Rob. One yoink from steve's little toyota got me free. Then in true form Steve and Rob said that the jeep could make it and showed me how it's done. It made it flawlessly. I now know what gassing it REALLY is. I got to drive the wonderful toyota back to the entrance. It really is a gem. It took a while to get used to the clutch petal - it comes out so far it feels like my knee is in my chest just to start pushing it down.

Shaver was closed for dinner but bulldog grill proved to be entertaining. I owe Steve and Rob a get out of trouble free card. Thanks for saving my bacon.
  16. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    Just kidding. Well here I sit broken hearted the drz broke and hasn't started. Thats right folks... it did it again. At the top this time and its still there. I am headed up in the morning to go fetch and it going to suck. A2 wheel drive cant make it for sure. Ill have to hoof it in, fix it, ride it out or set it on fire. This friggin bike. I'll post up a link to the spectaular pics I took on my walk down the mountain. I walked about 6-7 mile down the trail before redwave came and pick my sorry ass up. THANKS REDWAVE. I owe you one.

It was the best ride of the year so far for me. We did some super secret single track that was friggin fun the some twisty rocky trails and then this groomed, hard slightly damp dirt road with some burms. 2 water crossings. Then up on to the slab granite flakey step up, down, over and under stuff to nearly the top. It was really beautiful. great weather. Thanks for leading the way Dave. It was just fun. Even the walk down the mountain was cool.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago. Im going to bed so I can wake up and do it again.

:baldy :confused :2cry :snore
  17. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    0400 - And im up... Been a long time since I have been this ill. Feel like horse manure fer sure.

That is what the bivy is for. Besides that isn't waterproof, but the bivy is should be. I get yer point though, for $160 it had better be a one stop shop.

I am still tinkering with the idea though. I wonder if it would stuff down smaller in a compression sac than a standard mummy bag? I just got a decent compression sack for my mummy bag, got it down to about 75% of previous size, should fit on my back now under the hydration pack now.

We could get it with the truck. It would give me an excuse to use the 4x4 feature. Never had to use it other then in the sand at Oceano Dunes, I am a bit curious to see how well it works.

~

Michael
  18. chip

chip Follow Me

Oddometer:
    drink some coffee, you'll feel better. If it was friday you saw me, yeah that was a buddy of mine from Alaska. We met up in Santa barbara and rode some pozo trails until my footpegs (the other side) broke... AGAIN! We were headed back to my house, fixed the pegs, by retapping the holes, new fatty fasteners, and poof, out again the next morning. For the weekend, Wife, dog, me, and AK buddy on XR, headed back to pozo via 198 / 33 / 41 / 299 / 58. Fun Ride. Camped Sat night, continued down high mountain road to some other back roads that I can't remember the name of, and then on to Jamala beach. Didn't camp there, just ate a giant chilli burger. Back to some little town, can't remember the name, and camped for the night.
    I might have another rider for Tahoe.
  19. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    that trail is cursed for you jeff. sounds like we all need to switch to dr 650's or klr's. sounds like we were all in the same neck of the woods being rescued.

[​IMG]
  20. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Jeff-
    Just heard/read of your demise. Don't burn it if you don't get it started. I have a 96 dodge 1ton 4x4 "trail-wagon" if needed. Call me and let me know.

HST