New 2008 Scoot 4 Sale - Problems?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by John Fabian, Apr 22, 2013.

1. John Fabian

John Fabian Fabe

Oddometer:
    What do you think?

Here is a brand new 2008 QLink Pegasus scooter for sale on Craigs List. This is a CF Moto E-Charm bike. It is carbureted, not EFI.

What problems, if any, do you see with a bike that's been sitting in a crate for 5 years. Will the gaskets be brittle? Will gunk have formed in the carb? Are the tires safe? I'd like to know what you think.

The asking price is $1,995. It originally retailed for $2,495 - $2,595.

Thanks.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    That price seems way high. I paid less for a new Kymco Super 8 150 and Kymco has a much higher reputation for quality. I wouldn't even consider it unless the price was under 1K. I don't know about Q link specifically but the quality of Chinese scooters in general seems to be questionable. It might turn out to be a nice scooter but for a little more you can get a newer model Kymco, Sym, Genuine Buddy or Aprila. Why take a chance?

BTW, suspect the resale value of this scooter will be very low if you buy and decide to sell it.
  3. YogiBabu

YogiBabu n00b

Oddometer:
    dont buy Chinese crap, trust me. Had one. Never again.

4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Don't even think about it. After a week of use that is a $500 scooter.
  5. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah that thing is garbage, I wouldn't even take it if was free because I know that it'll cost me more money to keep it running then to buy a brand new vespa
  6. John Fabian

John Fabian Fabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. The anti-Chinese scooter sentiment is high, I understand that. A slightly different question is, how do bikes sitting in creates for 5 years hold up, whatever their country of origin?
  7. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    I too agree. Having bad experience with some of the Chinese machines. But that said, I doubt if it will be in bad shape simply because of being in a crate for 5 years. There should not have been fuel in carb so no problem there. The battery would be my main concern then scrutinize the rubber (hoses etc.) the Chinese haven't found the quality of the Japanese yet so the rubber may already be showing signs of deterioration, and replacements may be hard to come by... Ask me how I know this? LOL Good luck.
  8. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    A five-year-old machine that has never had gasoline in it and has been stored properly will probably be fine.

Fine means the same condition as it was new. If it was junk new, it will be junk now. I've no opinion on whether a Qlink is junk or not.

If it had gas in it and sat 5 years, count on lots of work to clean out the fuel system.
  9. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey John here is my 2 cents NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY ! Want a scooter ? Buy a Big Ruckus while you still can , but before you do read my review on Motorcycle.com . http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/8445-2006-honda-big-ruckus-review.html

TheReaper!
  10. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    A crated motorcycle can be stored in a dry inside place for years and still be good. One shop had some yamaha in the crate for 30 years they just sold. Still good as new. 20 000 grand for a bike that was worth 3 grand back in the day. Cfmoto helix clones Go for 2 grand New so the price is out of this world. 1300 to 1500 . Dealer price might have been 700 bucks max. My local Yamaha Dealer is still sells new 2009l Bwm 125 for 2500 bucks out the door . 2 Grand buy new better brands of SCooters. SYm are going for 1500 on cycle trader . http://www.cycletrader.com/Sym-For-...224329096&vrsn=hybrid&sort=year:asc&newsort=1

As to what one guy said Kymco 125 are 1400 new which is a better brand : http://www.cycletrader.com/Kymco-Ag...64858462&vrsn=hybrid&sort=price:asc&newsort=1
    The Super 8 150 cc by the same company is 2 grand . I don't know what state you in so you ll have to look through them to see if any is around you. http://www.cycletrader.com/Kymco-Su...64858505&vrsn=hybrid&sort=price:asc&newsort=1
  11. John Fabian

John Fabian Fabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks to one and all for the replies. I would not rule this bike out because it is Chinese. I am familiar with this model and its history. My issue is with gaskets and hoses, which I have a parts source for through CFMoto PowerSports, Inc. dealer network. I think the long crating time can be dealt with with good initial setup and a calculated break-in period.

My concern is with the price. I think $1,995 is high. I think the bike is worth $1,000. I am also sure the seller will get what they are asking. A friend of mine asked me last night if I was just being stubborn. Yes, I think I am.

This stubbornness extends to other bikes. I won’t be purchasing a Ruckus. Despite how loved and popular they are, I find them esthetically unappealing. Sorry. If price were no object, I would go with the SYM HD 200. I shall save my shekels.

Look at the Coulee link below for a photo of my CF Moto (aka Moto Fabini) loaded down for touring.

Thanks again everyone.
  12. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    This is the second thread recently where you say something like this.
    What are you talking about?

Big Ruckus' haven't been available new for some years now.
    Used ones are extremely rare and command ridiculous prices, at least in SoCal.
    If you ARE talking about buying used, which I suppose you must, where does the "while you still can" part come into play? :huh

The review you keep referring to is OLD.

To the OP,
    I get that you don't seem to mind PROC scooters. What I don't get is how anyone would consider buying one of these at similar prices to a reputable, well established manufacturer, with an actual dealer network.
    Even at half the price, I'd have to question it's real value.
  13. John Fabian

John Fabian Fabe

Oddometer:
    Help me find a scooter between 150 & 250cc with 16” wheels and disk brakes. The bike should last 30K with only routine maintenance while carrying 220 lbs. I will use it for touring. That is the value I’m looking for. What similar priced bikes are available? Thanks.

P.S. I just found this similar bike on Craig's List.
  14. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
  15. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    And if he can't...he should buy a Rowdy, and when the GY6 burns out, stuff a Honda swing axle in it.

That...is the ONLY reason I can give these days, for buying Chinese. Been there; done that; had the heartache. Japanese or Taiwanese or basis for a custom.
  16. climbamt

climbamt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Kymco's seem to have a decent following. I have both a People 50 and People 150. They both seem like they will last a long time. There are plenty of sources of parts available online helping out if you breakdown in a remote location.... I have seen several of the 150's in the 1200 range with 5 to 6,000 miles.
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see the "spam" link, but it is apparently his own book. Seems like someone with that much experience would already know the answer to the question he ask.

If stored properly indoors, in the original crate and with all the original preservatives still in/on it, it should be as good as new.

As for price/value, and Chinese scooters in general, I feel the same way everybody else does. I have seen a couple of positive reviews on CFMoto scooters on justgottascoot.com, but they have no way of knowing how long they will last.
  18. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember people used to be afraid of Japanese cars too.

IMO the good reliable Chinese bikes come from a dealer that put them together and checked them out first. They are crated with yellow gunk in the carb, idk how that stuff ages. May need carb work, but everything else should be OK.........not $2k OK, but OK.
  19. MotoRandy123

MotoRandy123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I search on Craig's list all the time and that particular dealer always asks $2000 for everything he has for sale. It doesn't matter what it is, the year or anything else. So if you want one of those, I'd find it at a different dealer and see what they're asking....
  20. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    If its what you want go ahead and offer him $1500.
    I see plenty of these with over 15k miles here in st Louis alone. When I picked up my Rowdy Rucklone Fenton Powersports had a used on with 19k on it. I rode it, seems better made than most China junk. I know it ran faster than my Rowdy stock for stock but the rowdys MUch heavier.

Get it if its what you want. I have NO regrets on getting my Chinese rucklone. Make sure you can get a warranty for it.