How long will a 990adv last???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dwj - Donnie, May 20, 2013.

1. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I never owned any other injected bike. There is the system CJdesign sells which changes the flow of the fp for some seconds, just when you turn the bike off. This is supposed to help some. I haven't tried it. I concentrated on a cheap solution on KTM's logic.
    I can only speculate the injectors KTM uses are more delicate, but could be completely wrong.
    Cheers.
  2. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R-GS uses a traditional large barrel-shape filter, the KTM uses a teabag construction. I think Mattinghofen went a bit anal with filtering and produced a conservative but easily clogged design.
    I'm not sure if KTM recirculates fuel or not, but if it doesn't, as you say, then that could explain pump overheating failures.
  3. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Mines at 271mm. 24,000 miles. Seems this means I'm running original chain. It has a masterlink, would have thought rivited in original form?

267.7mm? should be a brand new chain measurement. I converted from an imperial thread.

Cluth retorque..... Just noticed mine sounds like a bunch of bolts churning around when you listen near the clutch cover. Have to open her up.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    The BMW GS guys switch their fuel filter to outside of the tank for ease of maintenance, but I have read that it was not possible on the KTM because it did not recirculate the fuel as the BMW, but simply supplied a pressure from the tank to the injectors. CJ's system blows back through the filter to unclog it. Seems to me that it would only blow what ever was stopping the filter back a bit, only to return to the filter as soon as the moto is started back up and begins to pump fuel.

That may explain the problem. Of course, by definition a filter will become stopped up, other wise, it would not be filtering.

I am near positive that all of the original chains were an endless. But, that don't mean someone did not convert it to a master link chain for some reason. I need to check my clutch bolts as well! :deal
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just re-torqued my Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts. None were loose at 20,400 miles. It appears that they had been checked before I purchased the moto with 4,900 miles because anti-siege had been applied to the cover bolts. I have never seen anti-siege used from the factory.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pulled this off of Crashmaster's RR when he did a couple years on a 2007 990ADV. Have any of y'all had issues like this and if so at what mileage? I was of the impression that the water pump problems were more of a pre 990ADV problem.

"Hola hermano! Wow, 40,000 kms on the orginal water pump? I have not heard of one lasting that long. I dont know man, it wouldnt hurt to do it then you dont have to worry about it for a long while.

I'm on my third water pump in 40,000 kms. :rofl"
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    The newer 990's were updated with a different wp oring made of viton ( or another manufacturer of the same material, as viton is a Dupont product). And this seal is what they recommend to replace all older wp seals with.

I managed to get this info from a KTM tech customer rep from Ohio recently.

One of the customer service advantages of being a original owner of a KTM Adventure is any KTM shop, KTM service rep or customer service rep can check the history of your bike, explain any service updates and status reports on your bike based on their database.

Since my bike was an '04 S they are researching to make sure I don't have the noisier '05 version of torque limiter.
  8. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  9. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I didn't carry a wp rebuild kit on my trip and didn't need it, just under 40K miles.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks guys! :clap I read Vinney's detailed hotel repair. That might be the reason he is on the third rebuild! :rofl
  11. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  12. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I'll call Mike at KTM back and find out if this is an even newer updated seal or not... Frustrating that he was responding with info he was "reading straight off of the KTM TSB bulletin".
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! I don't think I have seen this. I will definitely study all of it! :deal

I installed one of CJDesigns SS Oil Drain Lines the other day. This will definitely make oil changes quicker and easier! :clap However, there was one thing about the installation that I did not like. The idea of the SS line and plastic end laying on the skid plate, bouncing around did not sound like a good idea. As I was taking a ride yesterday, I give it some thought and come up first with the idea of simply wrapping the hose end in a rag/towel to insulated it from possible damage from bouncing around down there. Then I remembered that I have some one inch foam pipe insulation, so I dropped the plate, cut about 7" of the foam tube and slipped it over the end of the hose. It fits such that I don't think it can come off, it can be removed instantly and it weighs near nothing! Assuming that the residues that find its way to the skid plate don't deteriorate the foam, I think the modification to the modification will work quite well and give that added peace of mind! :D
  14. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Water pump kit Seals

I ordered from the kit from KTMTWINS then read about the other kit with extra reliable shaft. Started then wondering what seal I was getting.

Found this thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13536216

Appears to be telling me the grey shaft double lip genuine ktm seal is also used by the other supplier. Double lip seal in good reliable material sounds heaps better than single lip crap product guaranteed to fail.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My list for updates, spares, modification include:

CJDesigns SS Oil Drain Tube with my modification- Installed

Spare Fork Seal - On Moto

2 Fuel Filter Kits from gefr - order when I return from Mexico - install one upon arrival and have other as a spare, establish as 20,000 - 30,000 mile PM

Spare fuel pump from gefr - order when I return

Convert rear wheel to tubeless with Goop - ???

Order Water Pump rebuild kit from ???

Purchase Crashbar Bags from akarob???

Purchase under seat tray from hontri - when I return

Please offer advise as to included items and/or items to include. :deal
  16. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 08 990 had 40,000 miles before my first wp rebuild. I could not believe it either but yeah.
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  18. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Just slightly off topic but related to trip preparation.

I've ordered this set up from Madstad and side deflectors from aeroflow. Had a madstad screen before and they are brilliant. My hearing gets messed up from buffet even with C3 and good moulded ear plugs so anything that helps makes a trip more enjoyable. Might be worth looking at.

If I didn't have hearing problems already I'd always cut screens down to shorties and get into clear air. Buffets buggered my hearing and can't be underestimated in damage it can cause. Pic here of the set up I'm getting.

[​IMG]
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

This fellow has had very good luck with nothing but Goop! I bought my $7 tube today! :D I use metal 90 degree and straight metal valve stems from Rocky Mountain ATV for $2.00 each. I have been using them for the past five or six years with 200,000 miles plus and never had one fail!

I replaced a seal on the KLR once and both Goldwings had their's replaced in the 150,000 to 186,000 mile range under warranty! :deal

I just received my "new" used windshield from an Inmate yesterday. Cee Bailey makes two heights for the 990, I bought the shorter of the two, even though the descriptions suggested I probably needed the taller. They was right, I was wrong! :evil The taller is better! :D Now I need to put my old one up for sale, maybe the OEM one as well.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I Like this: :D

And the steering stops...

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The factory set the steering stops wide out for shipping purposes I suspect. That contributes to an extremely exaggerated wide turning radius. By adjusting the steering head stops down to just before the bars hit the side fairings, you gain a much greater turning angle... for a more agile feel on the bike. It made a huge difference and boost in fun factor/ confidence for me. I got that info from here and this savvy community( thanks Geo!!!).
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

I did not know these could be adjusted! I did not like the very limited turning radius my moto had. I have adjusted them in a bit, plus balanced them since they were not the same. My bars won't hit the fairing due to risers, how far can the bolts be adjusted in? How much is too much? Is there a correct amount? I assume the more they are screwed in the worse tank slapper you could have! :rofl