Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Diane, Thanks so much for posting. Just great to know people are enjoying the Ride Report.

I do appreciate people commenting, as a writer of a Ride report, it is certainly gratifying to know that someone is reading what you are putting down. It has been an amazing experience as I have connected with so many oner people around the glide!

Thanks!
  2. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Good Morning World......:*sip* (or evening, night etc)

Just spending a couple days in Cape Town getting some things sorted out.

Had to laugh this morning as Jorg says, "some guy started a new ride report in South Africa...... and he has a photo in Die Hel that has your sticker in it :lol3 "

I was speaking with Chris at Flying Brick Yesterday, and he was telling me about TechnomadnicJim. Might be fun to follow along.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930940

spot the RM sticker :D

[​IMG]

Got all my Gear washed up so the the dust and Sand from Namibia is gone (well mostly).

[​IMG]

Cloths all cleaned up!

[​IMG]

New shoes on the bike

[​IMG]

Had to run to the mall to sort out a few things..... Loved the Moto parking right at the front door!

[​IMG]

Then I rode out to the second BMW dealer, as my BMW Rallye gloves had some stitching that was coming apart. Donfords BMW was great in replacing them under warranty! :clap Thanks Philip for the help!! (They even did it while their power was out... paperwork later!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About to go for some short rides around the area.... Just enjoying the downtime to get caught up! :deal
  3. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    They truly are magnificent critters!!! :clap
    I was showing them to Don (HB)....:norton
  4. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stunning stuff, nice seeing home and around through someone elses eyes.
  5. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    A musical ode to capture the essence of Radioman's signature move. We jump it off with Jump For Joy with Miss Peggy Lee and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. The big band sound continues with Jumpin' At The Woodside featuring Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, Chucky B, and the Gong Show Orchestra. From the sublime to the ridiculous, here on the Radioman Network.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AhOAYQixBKs?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CTwoLZVSy7M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. whitedelight

whitedelight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark Andrew here,it was really great meeting you on Friday for drinks at Pete's place. This weekend you are gonna be riding to one of our favourite weekend hideouts. i know you are riding with other folk,but we will see you at Oasis later in the day. a few of us are doing a long roundabout trip into the mountains.
    Ride safe and see for the party.
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave See you this weekend!
  8. Eric66

Eric66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark,good to see you still having a blast.I am taking Panhead Pete on a little ride tomorrow (300-400kms depending if we get lost).Pete's just bought a Triumph 800 so I will take him on some nice roads further west then we went.
    Regards Eric
  9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Eric, Go Easy on him :lol3 :lol3
  10. reboundrider

reboundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark, what kind of tires did you put on the bike this time? Just curious about what drove your tire selection this time.
  11. TechnomadicJim

TechnomadicJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you today Mark :) Thanks again for the coffee, juice and chat. Here's the photo of us by the globe. I hope to see you at the ciederberg meet this weekend. Ride safe!

[​IMG]
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Bought Anakee 2's . Never ridden them, just happened to find a set and I will be riding move Tar roads and less gravel in the near future! We will see how it goes.
  13. whitedelight

whitedelight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim you and Mark are in for a big party this Saturday night in one of the most beautiful settings .
  14. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see the man is getting some South African WildDog hospitality.
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    As I continue to get things sorted out. My true replacement arrived from Denver after being rebuilt. He has been great about getting a bad shock replaced on the road and following up to get this one rebuilt and set up.

Thanks Denver of BlingKing!!

[​IMG]

Old shock out, new one in!

[​IMG]

Then Thursday Afternoon we rode down for the gathering at Outriders shop. Thanks Peter!

[​IMG]

He has an afternoon Braai, and get together

[​IMG]

and has some humor as well

[​IMG]

And my flags came into Flying Brick..... Adds a bit to the ride story on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weekend we rode down to Cape Agulhas ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it to the most southernly Point in Africa!!

[​IMG]

Has been great riding with Jorg and Lily!! They have been fantastic tour guides :D

[​IMG]

And seeing some of the local sights. Many ships do not make it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a stop at a seaside cafe for lunch!

[​IMG]

Then we stayed at Wheatlands Lodge in Bredasdorp! What a great stay with friends Donald and Janet !!

http://www.wheatlandslodge.co.za

[​IMG]

We had a great dinner down the street. Lamb chops were tasty!

[​IMG]

Breakfast as terrific!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wave Thanks Donald and Janet! Was great meeting you and the lovely stay!

[​IMG]

Then a ride back to Cape Town.

[​IMG]

Spotting the national Bird. The blue Crane

[​IMG]

another blue sky day!

[​IMG]

and some more sightseeing..... Love the Moto parking

[​IMG]

Then the overview in Hermanus

[​IMG]

The coastal ride is great!

[​IMG]

Back in Cape Town after stopping to see some Friends of Jorg and Lily's in Gordons bay. Great day trip riding all around Cape Town!!

Monday Morning, I got to meet up with long time family friends who happen to be touring through Cape Town. Was such a treat to meet up with Bill and Johanna!!

[​IMG]

And then got to meet up with TechnomadicJim, who is starting his 9 month ride through Africa on a Honda 200 farm bike!

[​IMG]

Which bike is not like the others?

[​IMG]

It was great to take a look at the globe and see all that I have ridden over the past couple years..... Knowing that it has been an amazing journey that has connected me with friends all over the world, and changed my life forever.

But like all things. They will come to an end. Mine will take me back to Portland, Oregon

[​IMG]
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Cannot hold back any long :evil :deal

When I left on this Epic Journey back in June 2011, I did not really know how long it would take or the exact routes I would follow. But what I did know is that one day, this Chapter of my life would come to an end. I left it all open, so that I could experience whatever opportunities or challenges arose. I think I did that ! and More!

Several months ago, it started to be clear that it was about time to head for "home". As my finances that I set aside for this journey continued to be spent, and knowing I would need to start the next chapter ...... It is clear for me.

Still putting together my thoughts, but I am comfortable with the journey I have been on. The generosity of "strangers" has helped me to stay on the road for 29 months now. I have had amazing experiences, and made lifetime friends!! I am so grateful for the time and resources to go this far. Did I see the entire world? NO. But I made a dent and enjoyed my time in all the places I visited. and it certainly does not mean I will not ride my bike in other places in the world...... :evil

It will be a chapter of life ending, and then all new beginnings. I do not have it all planned out. Just finished arranging shipping of my bike and me from Cape Town to Los Angeles (cheapest option for air freight). Have given notice to my Renters and will move back into my house on January 1, 2014. The rest will evolve.

:wave :rayof :wings :happy

It feels good to have made the decision. The only part I regret is that it will be winter in the states. Otherwise I would have planned to do some ADV rallies, and meet ups along the way.

But stay turned, as I still have some good riding and adventures here in South Africa, and it will also take me some time once I land in LA ...... Of course I am not riding straight back to the Oregon. Will have a bit of time to catch up with family and friends along the way.

Couple other cool things. I plan on doing some presentations at some Motorcycle dealers in the near future. So that I can share some stories in person, videos, photos and some of the basics to this kind of world travel. More on this soon!!

Will have lots more to say in the weeks ahead. But for all that have been following along. Thank You!
  17. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along Mark it's been an incredible journey, I got the feeling when you were in Sydney that your trip was coming to an end.

Time to head home and work out the next stage in the adventures of Radioman:thumb

You can always go again if you want, and if you ever want to visit Australia again or go for a ride you know how to contact us.
    All the best my friend.

Russ
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Thanks Russ. Was so great meeting you two in person (please say hello to Nyree!!!) and spending a bit of time together. I can see why you miss SA!
  19. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    For taking us on your ride, and for raising awareness on Alzheimers. I have been following you and checking practically everyday for your updates. Even when I was down with my broken leg, I felt like I still got to go out riding thru your adventure. Happy trails and carry on.
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Hope the leg has healed up!!

The journey is not over for a couple months...... Stay tuned!