Death Valley DAZE 2013

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by RAZR, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:

Haaaa!! My Full Throttle Method Somtimes backfires:rofl:rofl We sure had a great time that weekend!!!!

The best was doing Cannell trail in the morning. In the rain first, then snow as we got higher, having a great time then getting back into town wet and muddy. Washing/drying all our clothes and getting back to camp to find a second group going out to do Cannell... I just remember all of us looking at each other and smiling and saying fuckit let's go again.. That was such a great day...
  2. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome footage and thanks for the heads up! The DV Road Report is great too thanks. I didn't think of time being an issue getting out there....my expectation was that time would magically stop when I put my first foot into warm water :choppa

Being that the weather calls for the 60's the road should be more fun than the spring. And Steel pass looks like a NO with the pig.
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    A nice ride on a big bike from the campground is to Dante's View, then on the way down head right on the dirt at Furnace Creek Wash Rd., take that to the end, left on the asphalt (178) to the T, right on the 127 to Shoshone. Stop for a beverage at The Crow Bar / the gas station, then head back north on the 127, west on 178 over Jubilee Pass, then hit West Side Rd (dirt). When that rejoins the asphalt, backtrack south on Badwater Rd. to the southern entrance to Artist's Drive (it's a one way loop), then when you rejoin Badwater Rd, head north back to camp.

I'd guess it's about 160 miles or so, with about 60-70 miles of fast graded dirt road. Be a nice leisurely ride on a big bike, plenty of places to stop and smell the roses on the way, too. :thumb

Edit: 151 miles according to Google Maps http://goo.gl/maps/1xqh9 :D

Edit 2: Hit Artist Drive at sunset = awesome. Been to DV many many times, 2 weeks ago I hit Artist Drive at sunset for the first time. "Wow" doesn't do it justice.
  4. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great ride, thanks mate. Think it's going to be Titus one day and your west side road route on the other full day down there. Good times
  5. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    looks like my rain dance :kumbaya:rilla:bubba :beer :ricky :dutch :strum :choppa :dg is working

no dust :clap
  6. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting pumped for this ride! Thanks for the route planning, now all I need to do is update some playlists. There's even enough time to post some photos from my trip in April last year with MendoDave. We went thru DV all the way to Valley of Fire State Park...an awesome place to stop and smell the roses. I rode back solo and had enough time to snap some photos.

For the folks back in Beantown that thought I would never make it...
    [​IMG]

Messing with the locals:
    [​IMG]

my token Dante's View shot
    [​IMG]

Anyone ever ride in Lovell Canyon? This place rocks, on the other side of Blue Diamond outside Las Vegas.
    [​IMG]

Farther down that road..
    [​IMG]

Don't mean to tangent off DV, but only 100 paved miles away Lovell Canyon had TONS of dirt roads going in every direction. It was upon taking that picture when I said to myself, "When I get home Ima gonna sell this 1998 Nighthawk and get a proper dual sport..." ..and the sitcom continues...

One last thing I had to do was piss off this rattlesnake before heading back home.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/45AdEuorpWo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good times.
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Every year. Up and over to Red Rock, the finish of the LA- Barstow - Vegas dual sport ride.

Lovell Canyon rules, but it's not Death Valley....
  8. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah neither are those burros, that was taken inside some gentleman's club in Beatty.

I guess I didn't take too many photos in DV since it was really hot.
  9. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi almissoula,

Great pics!

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Lovell Canyon ... think I've been up in those mountains from the Pahrump side, will have to check it out from the Las Vegas side ...

Have fun next week, looking forward to the pics ... and it won't be hot, ha. :ricky

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  10. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    Dam now the forcast is mid 70's and no rain
  11. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Ill take that over freezing cold everytime. Ride up front, no dust.
  12. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Stop your crying you baby. Let's ride. See you next Friday. I already have a full ice chest of killer beers and two bottles of Bulleitt Bourbon :freaky
  13. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Yeah, keep yapping... And then try to keep up with that baby! :lol3

When it was me and I tried to, well.... :muutt
  14. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    No worries Dude, Me and Bob are tight and we ride quite a bit together. And I'm sure we will next weekend too. :freaky

Maybe you need some training wheels.
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    this time next week we will be shredding the gnar of the Valley of Death. :grim:beer:jose
  16. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    This is probably correct.
  17. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Or you'll be just waking up in time for lunch after a long night. :lol3
  18. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

ha.

new year. new me. new single me.

no more waking up and leaving camp at 10 or 11.

a lot of mile to be ridden. kickstands need to be up before 9. maybe even 8.
  19. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better, Stronger, Single, Faster... C.H.A.R.L.E.S. que six million dollar music but Mariche style....

20. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    So fucking true. :lol3