first joyride on new toy

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by One Fat Roach, Jun 5, 2013.

1. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    [/URL] so i sold my first bike, a 1980 XL250, and finally saved up enough for a 2004 KLR650. I had been hawking CL for weeks and weeks and finally found one in my range and swooped in on it. I had to drive 2 hours over Stevens Pass to meet the guy in Monroe to get it. it drove like a champ back over the pass. and it was also the first ride I've done over Stevens and first 50+ mile ride. 137 actually.

After having it for nearly a week, and taking my Barny Rubble mechanical knowledge to checking things out (cables, fluids, brakes, tires), I decided to take it on its first (or second depending how you look at it) journey up to 25 Mile Creek State Park. I headed out around 3:30pm and worked my way up the windy highway roughly 20-25 miles. I stopped at the park to double check my Forest Ranger map and see where I really wanted to venture for. I'm very new to exploring, especially being new to the Chelan area [​IMG]but I've been looking forward to it for a long time. I finally headed up one of the roads which eventually turned into a gravel road and was met with an intersection and some signs which I wasn't expecting.

[​IMG]

I decided to stay on the general path I was following and headed towards 'Lone Peak' ... Lone Peak for a Lone Wolf I thought to myself. There was a very small cottage area I drove by as the road slowly inclined. It was something called "Quiet Acres" Totally self sufficient, guy even had some kind of DR or DRZ parked under a shed, a large garden with tons of goodies. That house was the last bit of civilization I had seen in 20 minutes and would continue for the next 90 minutes. I was working my way up a valley in between two mountains, and looking across to the other side you could see the old trees burnt from last summer standing like toothpicks. Amazing scenery with the sun only a few hours from breaching the top of the ridge.
    [​IMG]

Left turn, right turn, pine cones, left turn and I was met with another intersection. Keep going straight towards Grouse Mountain Campground or left. to Lone Peak. I learned from a fellow ADVer on one of my earlier rides to leave a mark in the gravel with your rear tire when you meet an intersection. I did that just in case and what is now starting to become habit. I wish i could remember his name to give him a shout out. It was about a 15% incline and I kept working my way up going in low 2nd. Just when I stopped to take a photo of the mountain range, I looked further down the path and saw this little surprise. Just lounging on the side enjoying the sunshine.
    [​IMG]
    this was the shot I had stopped for when I noticed Bambi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got to the trailhead and could go either left or straight. The gravel road ended and it turned into what you guys all love, single track. And what I've only ridden once in my short, 3 year, 2 wheeled existence. I figured, screw it, and traveled bit further. Maybe 200 yards. Fallen tree branches. At least a foot thick. Tons and tons of tree branches scattered along the trail like land mines. I decided to turn back mostly because I was by myself, not ready to crazy lost and definitely not trying to get hurt. I told myself before I left it would only be a reconnaissance mission. And I guess it was, when I go back next time have a good idea where to start from. I turned back and stopped at the trailhead again to take a break and just enjoy the environment and the sounds, but keeping in mind it was now starting to get dark. I hopped on the beast, which by the way I name 'Rhonda' and headed back towards civilization. It always seems it takes 1/4 of the time to get back down than it did to get up where you were. I hit the pavement and was looking forward to opening up the throttle as well.
    Here are some more photos as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Good looking example of a KLR, roach!
    You, like I, live near Dual Sport Heaven :clap
    Shady Pass, Entiat,.....enough good stuff to keep you busy for a lifetime!
    Just wait until you start venturing into and North of the Methow Valley.
    Then you're screwed :deal

You'll get used to Adventuring Solo.
    I pack what I need to spend a night, no luxuries,
    but enough that a night out won't suck bad, at least.
    Then, I can comfortably venture a little further.
    And a saw. Get a good handsaw, so the treefall won't turn you around.

Welcome to the Adventure BPR! I think you're gonna fit right in....:freaky
    Oh, and nice well written report! Let's see MORE!!
  3. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just what they are built for, riding and grinning. Thanks for the tag a long.
  4. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap
  5. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    thanks for the encouragement apple jam. Short 2 days trips are actually my goal by end of summer. Currently trying to gather the right gear, equipment, tent etc to make it possible.
  6. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    That is one of the best looking KLRs I've seen. :viking

It looks like it could go off road. :evil

But srsly, glad you're getting mobile. Get over Shady Pass and ride the Three Creek trail up to Devil's Backbone. Really not that hard if you start early and take your time.
  7. rogueriderer

rogueriderer Trifocals are my best friend

Oddometer:
    Good for you, looks like fun!