Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pvangel, Mar 24, 2011.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Airing it out on the mini!

[​IMG]

My friend Sandro kept me honest all weekend long on his 89 YZ 125

[​IMG]
  2. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  3. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Jr. on the 74,

[​IMG]

And the mini... He raced 3 classes (vintage 90's, Mini, Pre 75)on Saturday and the 45 minute GP on Sunday...he slept all the way home.

[​IMG]
  4. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Twin 89 CR 125's

[​IMG]

Pete and I,

[​IMG]

(I'm the slightly overweight balding one...)
  5. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Found a couple pics from Tomahawk, Jr on his 99.

[​IMG]

Mini, nose high.

[​IMG]

I got a hankering for a 250f which is never a good thing for the bank acct.

You can get a 2013 YZF 250 for $5500.00 now? I know it's not fuel injected but I have been using carbs for 40+years and never had an issue with them. Oy Vey....
  6. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    You know that things a 4 stroke dontcha??:huh:huh:huh
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Carbs are just fine,I bought a 2011 530 just to avoid FI issues in the middle of nowhere.

A friend just rode the Tunisian Rally on a 690,removed and cleaned the injector every day,along with all the basic maintenance of day to day abuse.
    Extra work and for what?
  8. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Great reading your stuff as usual. You're eyeing up a new 250F, and here I am being inspired by your old CR, and am looking to find my first "real" mx bike; a 1986 Yamaha YZ125. I imagine it'd be fun racing vintage on it, though I recall the bike totally sucking then, but then again I was racing against guys on bikes 13 years newer than mine. :lol3

I had a chance to hop back onto a 125 a few weeks ago, and got to compare it back to back with a crf250x, and a wr450f. I forgot how much more work it was to carry the same speed on a 125. Granted, it was an RM125, known for piss poor bottom end, and the tires were stock from 2003, but needless to say, the power on them is not very forgiving. If you're currently racing guys & placing well on a 125, I'd almost guarantee that you will blow them away if you hop onto a 250F. They are just easier to ride. You can botch a turn, and there will at least be enough torque to fix your mistake. You can still ride them like a 125 2T, just don't bounce off the rev limiter like Barcia off every jump.

Regarding FI\Carbs.......I hate carburetors with a passion. If I'm dropping the coin on a new bike, there is 0 chance that it will have a POS carburetor on it. It's antiquated technology that Yamaha has been peddling for far too long. They must have a ton of stock of those carbs floating around, because there is 0 reason to choose them over going Fuel Injection. The paranoia about FI failing is so silly that it hurts. Maybe we can convince car manufacturers to go back to Carburetors & points\condenser ignitions while we're at it......yah know...in case things fail when we're in the middle of nowhere or something :rolleyes

So long story short......Roost the 125's for this year. Wait for 2014 YZ250F with Fuel Injection, and in the meantime save up for spare valves & such. :lol3

Andrew
  9. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andrew!
    I had 250f's before and loved them (450's too but not as much) and know they are much easier to ride and ride fast but have been having a lot of fun on the 125's but like the weather in New England I change pretty quick. Being a 50+ vet rider I can ride whatever I want in any of the age classes I race and most guys ride 450's I have never felt at a big disadvantage on the 125 but I have to be on the edge ALL the time and your right it is a lot of work... so now that I have grown up I figure I can move back up to a 250f.

I really don't need a cutting edge bike and quite frankly the 250f's of probably 06 and up are better than me so to find a low hr late model is attractive to me but new is nice which is why when I saw 13 YZF's for mid 5's I started to think about it.

As far as carbs go, My KTM 125/144/150 were a nightmare to jet and I needed to run race gas in them but my YZ after going up on the main jet has been perfect in all weather/temp/elevation with no race gas. My KTM's had to be rejetted for Southwick so rich or they would blow up (they did, thats how I know) and then rejeted for the next track. Yamaha, nothing, my 89 CR125 once jetted has been great everywhere, my sons 99 is perfect everywhere. I feel once you know how to jet it is easy and with a fuel screw on a 4 stroke I found it easy enough to adjust to track conditions.

Of course my friends who have a FI bike say there is no going back to a carb for them ever and they LOVE there bikes. I have a friend with a 13 RMZ 250, one with a CRF 250 and one with a 12 YZF and have beeen offered test rides on all of them, hoping to try a couple this Sunday and I will report back....stay tuned for a full ride report!
  10. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    I checked troy city garage's web site and they offer the YZ250F for $4999., if you want to deal with them.
  11. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I called the owner of my local Yamaha dealer(Danbury Powersports) today and he said that some dealers have too many of them thus the discounted price. In round numbers(according to him) the bikes are listed at $7400, there is $1000 back from Yamaha, there is about a grand profit in them which is why they normally will knock $500 off but these dealers are knocking off a full grand which gets it down to $5400. There are other dealers on Ebay offering them for about $5000 but have $400 setup fees then doc fees etc. seems that mid 5's is about what they go for? Frank, the owner of Danbury said he would be happy to get me one for the same price if I see one somewhat local. He is still asking full price for the one on his floor which I think is a good business decision by him because he knows he will sell it because of his market.

Incidentally, I was there on Saturday and there were no CRF's,RMZ's on the floor, only 1 YZF 450 and 1 Yzf 250. Not sure what he has in storage but seems ready to accept the 2014's which will start rolling in in June.
  12. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    pretty damn good prices
  13. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    ...how about electric?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PHKXP_YA40s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Very cool, the future of out sport.
    that guy must have been a very good rider.
  15. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thats cool!! Did he win this race?:eek1
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Been busy lately, life stuff...had to walk this one up the isle last weekend, been cutting into riding time.

[​IMG]

Actually a great weekend and aside from me barely able to get through the father of the bride speech one of the best weekends I have every had.

NOW.... race this weekend at Central Village, full report coming.
  17. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Best picture and report yet! :freaky:freaky:freaky
  18. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    My riding has been totally lacking because of work and life and I really need to change that, tried to ride a bunch of time the last month or two and something always comes up. Although supporting a family and making a living is important your "life" is important as well, riding improves mine because it is good for body and mind. Even my wife will tell me that I need to ride, it is my meditation and brings me back to being centered.

I did race last weekend, I had not ridden since the last race which was over a month ago and was very happy with my riding! Had a great day despite the 90+ deg heat and humidity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I gots issues.... can't stop looking at this pic....want

[​IMG]

Decided to put the minis up for sale to help finance the 250f

[​IMG]

The difficult decisions we have to make in life....might be easier when i grow up?