DR650 3rd gear blowups

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NordieBoy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cedestech

cedestech Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah, I would agree but out of warranty is out of warranty.... Mine was at 30 MPH and straight up at least.... Still sucks.
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Have you confirmed it's 3rd?
  3. cedestech

cedestech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope and probably won't.... when I started it this morning it had been rolling around in 2nd or third because I had to get it to neutral to start.

:evil
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    It started?

Wow.

Then its worth pulling apart to check.
  5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking! DON'T run it anymore! ... just open it up and get to work! Probably not much damage. Worth fixing, IMO.

You may have dodged a bullet ... maybe just a flesh wound on this one?

Good luck!
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    So,how come there are all those "My Lc4 makes a funny noise" threads,or just plain explosion stories about the silly things? It does seem like more Lc4's scatter their gizzards then most bikes.

But a DR is in no way a comparison to a good Lc4,DR is a wide glide tank while an Lc4 is a strong thumping good handling euro bike that runs well and is pretty good right out of the box.
    They do seem to have more then their share of problems staying together at times though.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Its good to see the 3rd gear failure thread is still going strong,I just beat my DR hard for 700 miles of backroads and dirt to the coast and back and it ran great as always,not a funny noise to be heard,like about 99% of all DR's on the road.

Keep it up though.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Most LC4 owners will tell you there bikes have been nothing but reliable with routine maintenance.

A vast majority of the threads about LC4 problems have been caused my incompetent people working on them or stupid mistakes by the owners.

My comment was directed at one person who continually sticks his nose into threads about bikes he knows nothing about and spreads crap about them.

Bottom line is that the LC4 is way more reliable than the internet myth that people like ADVtroll are spreading...
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Because they all sound like that. It's not a sign of impending doom :lol3

tHEtREV is on the money. All that extra performance is due to attention to design and less unnecessary fat everywhere. That alone makes them less tolerant of neglect than other brands. Every part is engineered to do its job/s and no more, unlike other brands which are crudely over-engineered because it's cheap and/or easy. You probably see more calls for help on the internet due to the rarity of the bikes: people often can't just go in to a nearby dealer who's had experience with them.

Sure, there's a couple of easily fixed issues, just like the KLR's doohickey and the DR's ignition pickup mount (or whatever it is), and so what? Before I bought mine I did my research, and quickly found so many examples of supposedly stone-reliable jappers imploding I figured it was a lottery anyway, at least I may as well ride a bike I like until it happens! :dunno

In our "local" circle of riders, coupla dozen, we've had several DR650 3rd gear blowups, one 640 top-end failure (and he's gone on to own two more KTM RFS bikes) and a couple of KLR oil-burners. We don't give a shit about the badge on the bike, we just enjoy the good times together. Because like the Hokey Pokey, that's what it's all about :wink:
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I here you,Ive had about 14 KTM's since 1978 and liked em all a lot,from 200's to a 620SC that flat ripped and was plated. Ive got a 2011 530 now and it amazes me every time I ride it.
    Pulls 90mph uphill in sand with more in reserve and the suspension is hands down the best stock suspension Ive tried.

My DR is for just going somewhere and not worrying about putting miles on it or riding like my inner hooligan says I should,if it scatters I can find another engine, but it probably wont scatter.

Im hoping this 530 is one of those that runs for 3 or 4 hundred hours with not much issue,its so much fun I'll just fix it if it needs fixing though.
    I figure a good handling well suspended bike saves me time spent in hospital,no kidding.

New 690's are nice though.
  11. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    hey man, welcome back! How was your AK/Cross country trip? Did you end up going? Still on the road? And what bike did you end up taking? If you have a ride report/Pics, can you post the link? :ear:ear:ear
  12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    And thats why I like my LC4, I can put miles on, act like a hooligan and not worry about it scattering its internals all over the road.:lol3

But they are not for everyone, they have there traits that some people can't live with.

I hope it didn't sound like I was knocking the DR, because I'm not.

Looking at that list it says Philth has blown three gearboxes.

He is a hard man on bikes and rides big distances over the most isolated spots in Australia.

But his last DR got retired after some massive runs and he has just taken delivery of another DR.

So if someone who has blown three gearboxes thinks that the DR is still the bike of choice, there must be a bit OK, and the 3rd gear "problem" must not be to concerning.

I know DRjoe also bought another DR after his blowup, and probably a lot of others.

And I have said before, I wouldn't worry about the 3rd gear if I was in the market for a bike like the DR, the internet makes everything sound worse than it is.

In fact it can be so good at making things sound worse than they are, there are some people out there who think the LC4's scatter there gizzards on a regular basis because of things written on the net.:lol3
  13. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I put 1400 hard miles on my 07 DR650 this week on a camping trip. Still good and reliable. I run with a heavy load at a brisk pace using the most crooked route available. The front tire needs changing though... Stupid bike hasn't blown up yet so I can't justify getting another one yet. :D
  14. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm posting this from Idaho. I took a Dr650 because its the bike I have. I still worry about the gearbox every day. Hasn't given me a problem yet, and the closer I get to Alaska the better I figure my odds are that I'll make it there and around there. If it blows after that I'll be pissed, but at least i saw alaska. Its been a blast. Before you ask, I've changed the oil myself using full synthetic Suzuki oil under 1000 miles every time. I'm running lower gearing and I'm only carrying 50 pounds of crap. I love the bike... so long as it keeps running. I figure all I've done will help lessen the odds as nearly all the bike planning has been based on being easy to the gearbox. It shouldn't have to be that way- if I had a WR I wouldnt have to worry, but then I couldn't do 70 uphill in a headwind at 4k feet either.

I am struggling with a RR. I've been writing one but not posting. I don't think I have much to offer that others haven't already shared. Snowrider for instance. I'm no great writer or photographer.

Somehow, perhaps being cynical, I feel the only reason you asked was to point out implicitly that I'm going cross country on a DR, or to imply I'm all talk if I wasn't going. Sorry if that's too cynical, but I'm used to being attacked on what I feel is a fanboy excuse thread instead of a "Suzuki fix your shit you cheap bastards" thread.
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    GSF, I'd like to read your RR. I'm no great writer or photographer either so I'm sure I'll be able to understand your words and pics. :lol3 :thumb
  16. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I feel you've overreacted to the 3rd gear issue ... but you're not alone. You can believe what you want ... free country. But just don't forget the FACTS and the HISTORY.

I don't care what reactionary imaginings you chose to believe ...

but I do care about you ... and wish you a Safe and Fun trip. I hate it when fellow riders get hurt ... or worse. Getting out there doing cross country is an awesome challenge ....Big Kudos! ... and we don't need no stinkin' ride report to give you big ups for getting out there and doin' it.
    :clap:freaky:clap:freaky

BTW, I've never done a Ride Report on ADV Rider :lol3 Even though I'm a professional moto writer ... and get paid for every article I've ever written .. for 20 years. ADV doesn't pay much ... so why bother? You're right, AK has been covered 9 ways to Sunday. Hard to top the hundreds of well written, innovative reports already here.

What will you do when your DR650 gets past 50,000 miles and ... still ... that pesky gear box hasn't bombed out? :ear
    You could always toss a few nuts and bolts into the oil to be "right" ... and make your premonition come true. Boy, now that would really convince Suzuki to step up and fix the problem! :rofl

Rubber Side Down! ... and may the Gear Box Gremlins stay in Australia!
  17. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    2005 DR650, 12000 miles, rode hard but not put away wet -

I was at the end of a 200 mile trip from home to Bryson City, NC. The last 50 miles were at speeds ~60mph. As I took the ramp off Exit 67, Highway 74. I herd a loud crunch (or crack) and lost power - the motor was still running. I tried the gearshift but it seemed to be locked up. I coasted the 1/2 mile down to the hill to the gas station at Highway 19. When I got off the bike I found a broken chain and the transmission seemed to be locked. I removed sprocket cover and was able to get the sprocket to turn and the gear shifter to work. A friend (thanks Big Don) brought me a chain, and I tried to ride the bike. It cranked OK, went into first gear, then the trans locked as I tried to pull away. I gracefully stepped off the bike as it tipped over in the parking lot. :D After that, the bike would not start and the starter would not turn. While rolling the bike around the lot, I discovered that there was no 5th gear. Bike is home now waiting for some wrench love. I am going to read through this thread some more to try an learn from the experience of others. I am inclined to try and do the rebuild myself. I would appreciate some advice about finding the best parts. I would also like to hear what others have spent on the repair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It doesnt have to be that way,Your reading this thread too much,relax and ride the stupid thing,it's only a bike and any bike can quit at any time for any reason.

If every DR rider chimed in who put 60 or 70,000 or more miles on these bikes with 0 problems this thread would be very large indeed.

Or sell it and buy a BMW,certainly never any problems with those.
  19. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Even a KTM 690 with its myriad of odd and annoying problems doesn't suffer a engine+gearbox go bye bye at least anywhere near as often. We have two more folks that just had the drs weak gearbox go boom- the one you told me "ferchristsakes" on and one an hour and a half before your post telling me of all the successful drs (many nothing but street queens). There are some we are pretty sure (we being the collective in this thread) were 3rd gear blowups, but they will NEVER be on this thread because they were sold away, etc. Then we get into all the Drs that blow gearboxes that we don't even know about.

But you go ahead and keep defending Suzuki and its stalwart dependability with the Dr650.. I'll continue considering the very real possibility that mine could blow and take my life in the process. To ignore that reality is fucking stupid and is a classic sign of fanboyism.

I'll say it again in case any of you didn't hear me the first million times: any problem that threatens the life of the rider and is more than a fluke is complete and total bullshit that should not be accepted. Your acceptance is exactly what corporations, like Suzuki, like- shut up, give us your money and either die or deal with whatever is fucked up after our product fails to deliver. Suzuki even fails at failing predictably.

Next step is to have me banned from the forums or warned by a moderator that my criticisms or bitching or whining is not welcome. Sad part? I'm gambling (albeit with good odds) with my life on a dr650 because I'm too broke to do anything else.

My next bike will be an xr650l, wr290r or a drz400. Prolly not the drz because fuck suzuki- especially when they raised the price on the Dr without even using loctite on the nsu screws "ferchrissakes"

Cheers on the BMW comments.. they are bad too with the forks breaking away from the front wheel etc. I personally will never own anything bmw.. too much expense and still many problems
  20. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    I change oil based on a smooth shifting gearbox. Perhaps I am changing it too often, but shifting improves and we all know by now what my primary preservation aim is-gearbox.

That said, 3k miles is too much with the dirt riding I do. My oil is dark by 1k miles, and the compression checks good and I clean the air filter regularly (twin air with belray air filter oil worked in but not wrung out so as to tear the filter) so it isn't blow by (or at least an excessive amount). Its prolly minute fragments of gear, clutch material, etc.

This last section through Oregon and Washington is the most pavement I've done since I've owned this bike. Everyone seems to look at these as street bikes- am I the only one left tempting fate running the piss out of it on dirt?