XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done. Very solid now. Thanks.
  2. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I have 10's of thousands of KM under Desert IT's and NEVER had one slide out. And I lean my pig hard and for hours on end with some of the most twisty roads in N.A while in Mexico. Never an issue, never overheated, nothing.

I never went over 20 PSI and often had it down around 17 PSI. I have no issues running it at 13 either. Wear is not noticeable with those PSI ratings. I've tried it all within those ranges. My friends even did 4000 KM at 7PSI in Baja while mine were at 16/17. Nothing showed mine wore better. Locally I ride them 12/10. Don't bother airing up after a trail ride to ride home if dual sporting.
  3. ride4fun562

ride4fun562 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well like I said it was brand new. Its got some miles on it now and it feels alot better. Also the pressure was on the high side.
  4. medisyn

medisyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not really planning on doing it any time soon, but does anybody on here run a big bore kit on their BRP? What is the most you can run 690-710cc?
  5. slickwill

slickwill Exhiled

Oddometer:
    I had the 680 kit on mine. 102.5mm piston. That's the biggest I've come across.
  6. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    The first time I put on a desert IT I did a rather large powerslide out of my neighborhood on the throttle. After that it hooked up fine. Most tires will light up and slide if they are new especially with high pressure. I wouldn't worry about it but it is something to keep in mind.
  7. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    quick question....What is the reasoning or purpose to replacing the cam chain tensioner?? i understand it is a spring and they wear out, but have they been known to fail?? or is this just a preventative measure to rebuilding the engine?? As the cold bears down and the garage heater is in place, i will tackle the rebuild, but i wanted to have a good parts list on hand so i know what i have to get and how much this is going to cost me.

also, does a guy replace cam chain guides, or just see how they look once pulled? but i suppose if replacing the chain, it would make sense to replace the tensioner and guides. thoughts?
  8. nick5446

nick5446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to bump this question because I'm trying to make a move on these soon. Anybody?
  9. nick5446

Oddometer:
    The MCCT has less moving parts to fail so it's more reliable, but only if you actually adjust it.

Cam chain guides are cheap insurance once you're in there doing the chain. You don't need to, but it's a pretty good idea.
  10. mitchn06

Oddometer:
    i agree with the manual tensioner comment, but this is in regards to an automatic tensioner.
  11. nick5446

Oddometer:
    Oh gotcha...thought you were thinking of replacing the ACCT with a MCCT
  12. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a thread on a 780cc Supermoto, looks nice, but not much info on motor?! :eek1

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/990481-xr780cc/
  13. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the topic of timing chains, whats the expected life span on these items?

Timing chain, chain adjuster, chain guides?

I'd kinda assume its one of those items where you inspect and replace every top end?
  14. medisyn

medisyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

I replaced mine because I went to the HRC chain etc. However, I would replace it if I was replacing the chain HRC or not if it has many miles.
  16. mitchn06

Oddometer:
    a new stock chain will be installed, and i guess after a look-see at the guides, that will determine if they will be replaced.
  17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
    What does the engine feel like with the big bore kit on it ? What is the difference compared to the stock 650 ?
    Is it correct that they can shorten the engines life - affect the reliability ?
    I have never used one of these , and not planning to do so just yet , but when the time for rebuild comes i might as well go up in size if it does not affect the reliability .
  18. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone added a fuel filter to their BRP? I'd like to add one to my bike with an Acerbis tank. Doesn't seem to be much room to add the filter. A photo or two wouldn't hurt!

Thanks,
    Brian
  19. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan on adding one too. I have been eyeballing the Pingel filter. I know its a little big, but I think I can make it work. I am running the IMS tank (4.6)
  20. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer: