The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    Ricochet ATV Armour is your friend in regards to the bashplate. Best Dual Sport Bikes have a video on their site in regards to the Q4 pipe.
  2. Willard

Willard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just lift it off, real easy.
  3. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    X3 ...on the Joe Rocket Manta, a bit small but seems to fit nice and looks decent
  4. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Go here: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm

On the introduction page (link above takes you there) about 2/3rds of the way down you'll find info on service manual etc.

Thanks Rick for taking the considerable time to post lot's of great info on this bike along with the work you've done !!

Dave
  5. Tommyrg

Tommyrg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If im not mistaken its 23.2 us ounces for the left side and 22.3 for the right side
  6. nbrooks

nbrooks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more pic of the filter installed on the bike. If you click on the pic it will take you to my photobucket page where you can view the full pic and use the zoom feature if you would like. I have not found a better was to post pics off my camera onto the forum. So if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know. I did add an aditional bead of siliconearound the edges of the outside of the filter to add a bit more confidence in the filter. I had also ordered an additional stock filter prior to cutting up the one I had, just in case things went wrong, I would still have a filter to use. Overall I am happy with the way the filter turned out. I thought it was quite entertaining for someone to assume I photoshopped the filter, just did not anticipate that one. What would be in that for me? Besides I am not that good with a computer. I came up with an idea due to lack of an aftermarket filter, I tried it, and then shared my results. That's what forums are for. I may be a Noob to this site, but I have had Motorcycles and ATVs for the the past 25 yrs. I always find myself taking things appart to see how they work or to "improve" them . Sometimes it works in my favor and sometimes I end up creating a lot more work for myself. I have put 1000 miles on my CRF in the last two months, mostly riding in the desert of Utah and Arizona. I have really enjoyed the bike and the mods I have made have really opened the bike up. FYI the bulk foam from Uni was about $12 and came with enough foam to cover this filter area about four times, so plenty.
    [​IMG]
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

I think it's innovative and a great Get Er' Done attitude shown here and for one appreciate your efforts to share. To me the number of someone's posts don't mean shit especially when showing real deal ADVrider spirit and contributing to the pool for all of us.
    I don't think I'll be spending $100 for an air filter for this bike, even if it's made with unabtanium, but that's just me.
    We'll see what else comes out, but could just as easily go with a DIY solution, especially with the low cost involved. It just needs to be serviceable while on the road.
    Once it's about time to replace the OEM filter I'll know, but a cleanable foam filter that can have removable skins on it is important to me for what we will be doing with this bike. A little improvement in performance won't hurt either.

Thanks for posting.

-Finn
  8. Goon310

Goon310 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really diggin' this bike.
    Hoping to get a new bike in 2013, and the CRF is heavily on my mind.

How many of you are riding highway/freeway frequently?
    To get to a lot of places I'd like to ride I'd need to be able to ride pretty far.
    I know the bike can do it, but I'd just like to hear from others.

I am really liking this bike for the simple facts that it is: Cheap, Reliable, Good on gas.
    It seems like all that I need and nothing I don't.
  9. foxbrook

foxbrook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike can certainly do highway speeds but not MUCH more. I'm sure it would get a bit redundant riding far on the highway. I'm not a highway person anyways, I like the back 2ndary roads. I've had mine doing 115-120km/hr comfortably.
  10. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just hit the 600 mile mark on my CRF. 100 dirt, 500 riding to work at 55 to 60 mph. It goes 60 in comfort. I have yet to interstate it and prolly won't.

Changed the oil yesterday and reused the filter cover gasket as the dealer did not have any in stock. :eek1
    Anybody else just reuse the gasket? It does not leak so I should be ok?
  11. Tommyrg

Tommyrg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got mine serviced the dealer himself used the same gasket and I started having an oil drip after a week. I guess its from where the indention on the gasket had been smashed the first time. Needless to say he replaced free of charge
  12. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will have to keep a close eye on it then.

Keep buying these bikes guys, maybe the dealers will start stocking some freaking parts!!!!!!!!
  13. Tommyrg

Tommyrg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah buy the way the brake levers are backordered well into next year...i work for ronayers.com and still no luck
  14. foxbrook

foxbrook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    guess I'll have to watch it when I drop mine lol :lol3
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the nice video, Rick. I read your review; the RaceTech shock seems like money well spent. :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5xKnI-WhrpI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To imbed the video in a web page, just right-click on the video and choose "Copy embed html" from the menu that appears. Then paste the contents into your post. :deal

Spud :beer:
  16. macinthailand

macinthailand n00b

Oddometer:
    If you lived here you'd see why you would never let the dealer touch your bike. I asked them to take the rear sprocket off because I did not want to round out the allen head bolt holes. Well they rounded them out for me and that was it. They gave up. I am using mine for serious off road only so I am sure the warranty would be void anyway. I knew I was going to be on my own when I bought this anyway because of language barrier and where and how I ride it. I currently have an FMF (copy) slip on, took off a lot of plastic, 45 tooth rear and 13 tooth front. Power programmer on it's way.
  17. macinthailand

macinthailand n00b

Oddometer:
  18. macinthailand

macinthailand n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry.... I asked again after some others posted some info. I didn't see yours before posting. Thanks for this. Where, if you recall, did you get this info from? I pulled the spring side (right) apart and drained and measured the amount. Given you info, I have lost almost half of what's supposed to be in there. That is possibile too because when I got back from one ride my boot and engine case was covered in fork oil.
  19. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    "Macinthailand... Thanks. I contacted Rick via email but when I looked up this site (the manual site) the only thing I found was a manual that had several types of Hondas info in it. I was hoping for one specific to the 250L. They do offer specific manuals for other Hondas just could not find one specific to the 250L."

At the bottom of the page that I sent you the link on is this:

"If manuals are not shown online, you can call 1-800-782-4356 and order them over the phone."
  20. macinthailand

macinthailand n00b

Oddometer:
    I am an idiot! Thanks. Jeez maybe someone should just order this for me because apparently I cannot read or follow simple directions!! LOL. I am a day ahead (12 hours actually) so I will order tonight my time. Probably take a month to get here too! Great info on this site Adventure riders site too. I have put this thing through hell and it is still taking care of business so everyone should be/will be impressed with the durability of these bikes!!